PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Terrain Builders 2012 – sign up now!

Little Joe
21-01-2012, 11:35
The Tale of Terrain Builders 2012 – sign up now!

This is the thread to sign up for the Tale of Terrain Builders 2012.

What is it all about?
The aim of The Tale of Terrain Builders is to help motivate those involved to start and complete enough scenery to fill a gaming board in the next twelve months.

How does it work?
During the first week of a month you post your finished terrain. The remainder of the month is for posting WIP pictures of what you are building and to comment on the work of other participants.
Ask Questions, see many different interesting ideas and help others with tutorials and advice.

What do I have to do?
Because not everyone can spare the same amount of time for various reasons, there are different levels of commitment. The standard level of commitment (Mens) is to create a single, reasonably sized piece of terrain per month. The lesser level of commitment (Boys) requires the completion of a piece of terrain every other month, but with the commitment to show progress each month!
A single piece of scenery at least the size of a hill or building will be considered one piece. A barricade, tree, rock spire or similar terrain can be entered in threes to count as one piece of scenery. I made a picture for a quick overview:

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1572/overviewww.jpg

If in doubt, terrain that covers a diameter of roughly 6” is what we are going for, but this is a loose definition. Since the aim is to fill your board with terrain the rules are somewhat lenient.
A note on building whole Tables and Dioramas: simply break it down in monthly amounts of work for the level of commitment you entered in and we are happy to tell you what we think of it.
Just build and have fun and everything should be OK!

Can I have a break?
Because people have real lives: “yes you can!” You get two 'Jokers', to use for a month you want to skip. During the Tale you can ‘play a joker’ by posting an appropriate picture and an explanation if you like. You should still comment if you have the time.
But the other ten months you have to come up with a piece of completed scenery. That sounds easy but the first tale proves it is not.

In twelve months we will all end up with enough terrain to cover a table for gaming, which is awesome!

Frequently Asked Questions

Q : How do I join the Tale of Terrain Builders 2012?
A : You should join us right now! Just post in this thread and you are in, it starts that easy…

Q : When does it start?
A : The first month will be February for WIP, so the first terrain should be finished by the end of that month as well to show during the first week of March.

Q : Can I build more than one piece per month?
A : Yes, you can build as much as you like. The maximum you can enter is two pieces a month and they will be awarded as such. We aim to have fun as a group and to help each other as much as get things done ourselves.

Q : What happens if I build a GIGANTIC piece of scenery?
A : If you create a truly epic piece of scenery, we want to see it. We also want to see how it is done so you use months of WIP up to the finishing post and it will be accounted for the epic piece it is that way.

Q : Can I include a short narrative with each months post.
A : Yes, we love background stuff! Write as much as you like, we will read it and rejoice. It might also help to put the piece of scenery in perspective.

Little Joe
21-01-2012, 11:44
Well obviously I am in. I will sign up as a man!

Xazil
21-01-2012, 12:06
I will also sign up for men's. :)

MOMUS
21-01-2012, 12:09
I will be watching from the shadows.....:D:shifty:

DAGabriel
21-01-2012, 13:48
I am in, but only for boys this time, possibly i volunteer a tutorial.

MOMUS
21-01-2012, 14:03
Actually i may join as a NOOOB, as that way i have an excuse to visit this thread and comment on all the amazing terrain.

Rikk
21-01-2012, 21:36
Please sign me up for Boys category, I know I didn't make it last year after signing up due to many other commitments and lack of motivation, but really looking forward to actually making some terrain so I can host games at home :)
Already finished the base of a citadel wood, but will hold back on the trees, after they are done, considering buying the fortified manor kit and a fulcrum pack, unsure which, think dreadfire portal as I like the stairs.

Ghost 1 Actual
22-01-2012, 02:46
I know I ended up slacking off completely in the later months of last's years efforts, but count me in as well.

Narcissus
23-01-2012, 02:04
I will sign up for the boys category. I may end up completing more and upgrading to mens. But for now I am focussing more on painting models.

Fitzbaron
23-01-2012, 13:34
I would like to sign up as well. Time to finally sort out proper stuff for the gaming table. Put me down for Boys.

DarkLordBelial
24-01-2012, 20:27
I watched last years 'tale' in awe at some of the masterpieces and was determined to have a go at it this time round - so sign me up for the Mens please!

I'm off to start planning!

ASSASSINAWOKEN
25-01-2012, 16:16
I'll take another go please. I like to look and be inspired for the most part.

I had a huge let down in the hobby due to financial difficulties and time constraints. because of this, I would like to pick up where I left off and get some things done for myself.

Maglok
25-01-2012, 18:45
*peeks back in*

Yo I am up... again. Boys!

I have a desert to finish! /roar!

Little Joe
01-02-2012, 19:24
I applied simple majority votes for the next tale: it will only last six months and Noob is a new way to participate.

I will lock this thread now, If you still want to join, that is no problem, follow my signature to this months thread of the tale and join us.