PDA

View Full Version : 3 Questions about Marauders

Tayrod
08-02-2012, 22:29
Im building a horde of Marauders with Great weapons, and I just have a couple of question I'd like to adress to the community first.

1) Has it ever happend that GW has dropped a weapon option on a unit? I know the new Chaos book is comming out this year, and I'd hate to build 60 marauders with Great Weapons only to having them redundant.

2) WYSIWYG:I: Im going to theme my marauders as a "red guard" of sorts, with lots and lots of red banners, would you mind a unit having more then one banner? The idea is to spread them around in the unit, with alot of models having back-banners.

3) WYSIWYG:II: Im making great weapons for most of the unit, but for diversity, I'd also like to include some of the two handed flails, would anyone mind flails as "counts as" great weapons, in a unit with mostly great weapons?

OldMaster
08-02-2012, 22:34
60?! Oh God xD

Concerning your questions, I wouldn't know about removal of equipment options, but I promise you that the Marauders Horde will get nerfed in one way or another when the new book comes around.
As for the banners and flails, that's pretty much how I built my own Marauder Horde. It looks great and I've had no complaints about the lack of integrity in the unit. I mean - they're Marauders! I can see an Empire regiment beign armed identically, but by Khorne this is Chaos we're talking about here! WYSIWYG is for pussies! :evilgrin:

AndrewRogue
08-02-2012, 22:35
1. Can't answer.

2. I certainly wouldn't mind, so long as you kept them in back ranks. Might be good if you kept it the extra banners bare bones simple, while making sure the actual standards are shiny as hell.

3. I certainly wouldn't mind, but the general rule, I think, is 51% of the models should have standard Great Weapons just for ease?

Confessor_Atol
08-02-2012, 22:48
In my 17+ years as a GW player, I can't recall one time where GW has eliminated a weapon option. Additionally, GW has also not been in the habit of recasting/resculphing non-metal infantry lately (since the 2009 skeleton update). However, since there is not Great weapon option in the current marauder box, it might be slightly worrisome. Marauders have had the GW option since 6th ed. though. It's most likely that there will be a dramatic price drop in warriors accompanied by an increase for marauders.

extra banners shouldn't bother anyone as long as you point outwhich one is the BSB.

As long as you mention it at the beginning of the game and repeat it occasionally, I wouldn't mind flails counting as GWs.

pointyteeth
08-02-2012, 22:51
1) I seem to recall Grave Guard losing a halberd option, but thats all I can think of for weapon options.
2) Thats a brilliant idea and I'd love to see it. As long as the actual standard can be differentiated, go for it.
3) I don't have a problem with it, just don't put them in the front rank.

Gandalf the Gay
08-02-2012, 23:38
1) I seem to recall Grave Guard losing a halberd option, but thats all I can think of for weapon options.

Well, we could also count revamps, I guess.

Questing Knights lost their lances.
Gors used to have a lot more options, halberds, light armour etc.
Marauder Horsemen used to have morning stars as an option. Hell, there were even marauder chariots.
6th ed Skaven book invalidated a lot of previously available choices.

These are things that changed during 6th ed, though. I cant tell you what has happened the last few years.

Rosstifer
09-02-2012, 00:08
Skinks lost bows. Local Lizard player has tons of them, just uses them as Blowpipes.

As to your questions, go for it, though Khorne Marauders may be in for some form of minor nerf. Pure speculation though.

Beastlord
09-02-2012, 00:28
In my 17+ years as a GW player, I can't recall one time where GW has eliminated a weapon option.

Just to add to the few offerings above didn't dwarf warriors lose spears in 6th ed?

I would have absolutely no problem with the OPs proposed unit construction, although I would hope that Marauders will be brought back into line with the new book...

Arnizipal
09-02-2012, 12:25
In my 17+ years as a GW player, I can't recall one time where GW has eliminated a weapon option.
You must have a bad memory then ;)
During 4th and 5th edition each unit had tons of weapon option (for most of them no model was provided though).
Common Orc and Goblin units could take great weapons and halberd for instance, Dwarfs could take spears, Witch Elves could take Light Armour, Wights/grave Guard could take halberds, ...

Since GW's increased model output starting from 6th edition onwards, the huge number of equipment options has dropped to one or two choices per unit but even these can change during editions. For example Chaos Knights lost and regained lances during their 6th/7th edition transfer IIRC.

SunTzu
09-02-2012, 12:57
1. Yes, see above.

2. Fine, no problem; for clarity it might be best to have one obvious "actual" banner, and the rest smaller.

3. Yes, mixing weapons within a unit is completely OK, both by convention and by the rules in the BRB. Usually best to make an obvious majority have the "right" weapons though, particularly in the front rank.

Harwammer
09-02-2012, 13:08
Im building a horde of Marauders with Great weapons, and I just have a couple of question I'd like to adress to the community first.

1) Has it ever happend that GW has dropped a weapon option on a unit? I know the new Chaos book is comming out this year, and I'd hate to build 60 marauders with Great Weapons only to having them redundant.

2) WYSIWYG:I: Im going to theme my marauders as a "red guard" of sorts, with lots and lots of red banners, would you mind a unit having more then one banner? The idea is to spread them around in the unit, with alot of models having back-banners.

3) WYSIWYG:II: Im making great weapons for most of the unit, but for diversity, I'd also like to include some of the two handed flails, would anyone mind flails as "counts as" great weapons, in a unit with mostly great weapons?

1) Yes, pretty often in the past. Taking Chaos Knighst as an example from 6th to 8th:
RH: Lances
HoC: Hand Weapons
WD:Hand Weapons
WoC: Ensorcelled Blades (Lances optional 'upgrade').

And don't think it's just knights; marauders aren't immune to this! In Ravening Hordes they had the option for xhws and mounted ones could take morning stars!

2) I think this is fine and often do this. The one thing I will say is only have one standard in the front rank. The remaining banners should be mixed among the rear ranks so they are not confused with a BSB model.

3) Rule of Cool here: chaos units look much better with a slight mix of weapons. As long as there is a clear majority of great weapons there shouldn't be any confusion. If anyone disagrees with it don't forget Spirit of the Game is actually a rule and in my opinion on your side!

As always, it's the people who play against you whose opinion matters most (well, second to your own)!

Tayrod
09-02-2012, 14:54
Sweet, thanks for all the positive feedback guys :)

popisdead
09-02-2012, 20:26
What about 30 w/ HW/Sh and 30 with GWs?

then the first half of the unit is what you have equipped them with?

I still think Marauders will get GWs and Mark of Khorne when the book is redone however they won't be 5 points per model :P

Tayrod
09-02-2012, 22:43
I already have 30 with HW/SH, but the idea might work :)

Wakerofgods
10-02-2012, 06:57
Skinks lost access to short bows didn't they?

There were a lot of skink with short bow models because it was in the starter set for 5th ed.

Petey
10-02-2012, 08:59
In my 17+ years as a GW player, I can't recall one time where GW has eliminated a weapon option. Additionally, GW has also not been in the habit of recasting/resculphing non-metal infantry lately (since the 2009 skeleton update). However, since there is not Great weapon option in the current marauder box, it might be slightly worrisome. Marauders have had the GW option since 6th ed. though. It's most likely that there will be a dramatic price drop in warriors accompanied by an increase for marauders.

Tell that to my 100 Marauder bowmen. My dwarves with skis. My High Elf Wardancers (yes that s not a mistype). My wood elf falconeers. My Goblobber. My Dark Elves on barded steeds. My High elf dragon rider units (known as Dragonkin back in the day). My friend's Reiksguard on foot with Handweapon Shield and Heavy armor. Anyone who owns a Brettonian crossbowman, or cannon. Hey and who remembers that whole army that disappeared... you know... Dogs of something or other.

Yes, options weapons units and even armies can disappear. Pray they don't change the deal any further, to quote Lord Vader.

extra banners shouldn't bother anyone as long as you point outwhich one is the BSB.

Agreed.

As long as you mention it at the beginning of the game and repeat it occasionally, I wouldn't mind flails counting as GWs.

Agreed.

Scythe
10-02-2012, 09:23

Yes. To add to the numerous examples mentioned, there are even cases of those options having viable models, like Dark Elf warriors with hand weapon / shield, and numerous options for skeletons (heavy armour, halberds, crossbows).

That aside, should marauders keep their great weapon toys, I expect quite a price hike.

Not at all. I take it you intend to give the unit the banner upgrade though? Otherwise, it would be a bit weird.

No problem. Doesn't it state somewhere that only half of the unit has to be armed with the proper weapon anyway? Could be something of an older edition though.

Harwammer
10-02-2012, 10:30
No problem. Doesn't it state somewhere that only half of the unit has to be armed with the proper weapon anyway? Could be something of an older edition though.

Again the Spirit of the Game Rule can come into play here as long as it is clear what the unit as a whole is armed with.

Confessor_Atol
10-02-2012, 16:09
Yeah, my memory is pretty foggy, focusing mainly on armies I played and during 4th. I was just starting FB at the end of that edition. I'll amend my statment...There have been major equipment changes, but less so since 6th ed.

Urgat
10-02-2012, 16:21

1) Yeah, 5th to 6th was a real slaughter in this regard, for instance. Back then, believe it or not, my goblins had access to great weapons. Well gobs had access to almost all the weapons in the game.
2) I wanted to do the same, and asked here, and many many people disliked the idea.
3) I don't remember for 8th ed, but before, the BRB stated that a majority of models needed the correct gear, so I'm doing just that, mixing all the weapon options evenly in my unit. The majority is set by the command group that also indicates the opponent what the unit really uses.

Dark Aly
10-02-2012, 17:14
as an example my 30 grave guard unit are all made from the old marauder armoured skellies and some have GW's, others HW&S some spears. I just arange the unit so that the actual weapons are most prominent at the front. Nobody has had any issues with that yet.

ArtificerArmour
10-02-2012, 19:13
You'd better hope they don;t change their base sizes like Ungors :P TBH it wouldnt suprise me if they dropped them to 20mm square instead of 25mm (the standard human size)

popisdead
10-02-2012, 21:19
Skinks lost access to short bows didn't they?

There were a lot of skink with short bow models because it was in the starter set for 5th ed.

Good point. Personally I would always let people Counts-As those models as another ranged weapon so long as they were clear in use for them.

"These skinks with bows are just javelins"
"ok"

Simple solution :)

My ungors all have spears (rebasing them was enough) and I always tell my opponent "these are just HW/Sh" and no one has said anything ever to cause grief or hassle.

karse88
13-02-2012, 10:00

they KINDA did when they forced units like stormvermin always to use the most powerful weapon? I miss having to choice of giving them better armor :(