PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angels vs Black Templars

HOGGLORD
09-02-2012, 19:35
Hey, I wanna collect a non codex SM army that isn't BA/GK (GK too expensive and BA too unfair.) I thought either Dark Angels or Black Templars. I have heard rumors that both may be getting new releases, and the truth in this will probably effect my decision. I think both are cool and play quite nicely. But what do you guys think? I like a fair amount of fluffiness provided it doesn't become a totally rubbish army, I'm also not a huge fan of loads of tanks, a few is OK but loads is expensive and they are always too quick to die.

Netfreakk
09-02-2012, 19:41
DA: Terminator army, Bike army, Power armor army.

BT: Power armor army, but they get army wide special rules like preferred enemy.

Both are out-dated, with DA being a bit stronger IMO due to the nature of BT's move towards the enemy when something dies.

BT does hordy army, DA does the opposite.

Buddha777
09-02-2012, 19:44
BT can still kick major @** in CC though. While DA got left behind compared to the vanilla space marine codex, BT can still hold their own. A local player in my area dominates with a BT army utilizing it's ridiculous rules like universal preferred enemy, 2 CML termies, and crazy deathstar character filled CC units. Plus, what's not to like about an army with that actually has a holy hand grenade as a wargear item 0.o

samiens
09-02-2012, 19:56
Or you could build the ridiculous super missile bt list that is pretty much a sleeper top tier army.

Or do DA, who are awesome (fluffwise only)
Sent from my 7 Mozart using Board Express

Captain Collius
09-02-2012, 20:25
do RAvenwing 2 battleforces and sammael and your good to go.

samiens
09-02-2012, 21:39
Or Deathwing, who are both cooler and actually effective...

Rated_lexxx
09-02-2012, 22:04
If this helps to DA are going to be in the new starter box for 6th and I believe follow up by there codex. That is still up to debate.

What do you mean GK are to expensive? Point wise or cost wise.

Points they are expensive but there is a reason there one of the top armies right now. I would rather face BA over GK anyway

If you worried about cost I wouldn't. You don't need many figures to run a GK army

Charistoph
09-02-2012, 22:23
DA are a codex army, with a slight organizational abnormality with 1st and 2nd Company.

You are looking for a non-Codex Marine army.

You do not want Blood Angels, who are also codex with a slight organizational abnormality.

That leaves Space Wolves and Templars.

akiasura
10-02-2012, 05:12
Templars. The models are some of the best in the world of marines (Although DA are a close 2nd...), their army wide special rules are strong, their organization is very different from any other marine, and they have no psykers.
Psykers are something that xeno armies complain the most about when facing any flavor of marines.

I'd say space wolves, I play these and love them, but you get called a cheese player, even if you don't take Jaws of the World Wolf and Long fangs. BA are even worse then this, at least in my local meta (I'm the only SW player, we have 3-4 BA players).

If you don't like Termies and bikes, don't bother with DA. Have you considered using C:SM and making a unique army like Iron Hands?

fable_dd
10-02-2012, 06:58
Dear Hogglord,

If I where you I would choose DA. Purely because it is assumed it will be in the new starter box. This probably gives you access to special models, which give you a more diverse army in the end. Also these models will be highly availibe because many people will buy the new starter kit for only one of the two armies and in many cases want to loose the other army.

Besides this I recon these mini's are more fun to paint to. They use creame colors for the terminators and cloths and DA green of course for the standard troop.

Ihope this helps a bit.

Kind regards Daniel

HOGGLORD
10-02-2012, 17:29
For those who are saying Space Wolves, I already have a small army of converted Skyrar's Dark wolves, using the Space Wolf codex. Is it confirmed that DA are being in the starter set, because I was under the impression that it was under some debate...

Captain Collius
10-02-2012, 17:31
no debate it is confirmed

Erazmus_M_Wattle
10-02-2012, 17:34
Well technically, as esteemed as Hastings is, it's only confirmed when we see proof. I.e. Just before launch and we get to see pictures. The nature of rumours is that they're not confirmed.

Odds are though that it'll be Dark Angels. But you never can be too sure. :)

HOGGLORD
11-02-2012, 16:18
Am I right in that the other side is CSM? Is the name released? What time roughly will it come out?

Schismotive
12-02-2012, 09:37
As a black templar player it's obvious I'd recommend them! I'm not a big fan of most other chapters anyway. I have to say though that templars are not that much of a horde army, they can sorta do it but I wouldn't recommend it in most cases. The best part about black templars: NO ONE(!!!) gives you **** for playing BT. And if they do you can just be like ...come on really?

Starchild
12-02-2012, 14:34
Psykers are something that xeno armies complain the most about when facing any flavor of marines except Dark Angels.Fixed that for ya... :p

Chumbalaya
12-02-2012, 15:07
Hey, I wanna collect a non codex SM army that isn't BA/GK (GK too expensive and BA too unfair.)

Care to elaborate? Your assessment of both armies is horribly, horribly wrong.

HOGGLORD
12-02-2012, 18:19
20.50 for five grey knights is just too much for me to spend on a, let's say, 2000pt army. Especially considering I don't like tanks much.
Blood Angels have always been impossibly overpowered whenever I have faced them. Death Company are difficult to fight and Mephiston is almost unkillable on my experience. I suppose it would be kinda easy in objective games, but I hardly play those.

Schismotive
12-02-2012, 20:13
Grey Knights can be a pretty expensive army, unless your doing the stupid terminator spam which is just kinda silly. As far as Blood Angles, well I'm not going to say they're over powered but they just really grind my gears because of how lame they can be.

Chumbalaya
12-02-2012, 22:06
20.50 for five grey knights is just too much for me to spend on a, let's say, 2000pt army. Especially considering I don't like tanks much.
Blood Angels have always been impossibly overpowered whenever I have faced them. Death Company are difficult to fight and Mephiston is almost unkillable on my experience. I suppose it would be kinda easy in objective games, but I hardly play those.

GKs are actually one of the cheaper armies considering how expensive everything is pointswise. At least, no more expensive than other marine armies.

BA are not overpowered, not even close. The former aren't scoring, are overpriced as hell and get hobbled by Rage. The latter has no invulnerable save and can't hide in units, making him very easy to pick out with AP2 shooting. If you actually played 40k with objectives you'd have a better idea.

HOGGLORD
13-02-2012, 19:19
Mephiston can't hide in units? Seriously? I am going to Murder my friend who plays BA. He was hiding the Mephiston in a large, power weapon weilding Death company squad! Where does it say that?
The other problem with BA in regards to being a little too powerful is the deep striking landraider, which can be assaulted from. Kind of a dick move that I have heard used. Much easier to not do though.
Don't like the paint job much either.

samiens
13-02-2012, 19:41
It can't be assaulted from, despite being an assault vehicle you can never charge if you have deepstruck (with very few exceptions)

Netfreakk
13-02-2012, 20:19
I believe Mephiston isn't an Idependent character and thus cannot join units.