PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best 40k army for Wood Elf Dryad models?

CutThroatRazor
10-02-2012, 02:07
I am thinking about building and converting a fantasy army to "count as" a 40k army. I would love some opinions on this.

1st, I want it to be legal for tournament play...
2nd, I would like your opinion on what army would be easiest to do this with (considering Tyranids?)
3rd, any and all other opinions...like what models you recommend to "count as"...'

So far I have really taken a liking to the Wood Elf Dryad models. I like the idea of a new xenos army but I want to be able to represent weapons and such...

So far I have been leaning toward Dryads as Tyranid Hormagaunts and Treeman as Canifex. This is not set in stone so any and all opinions are welcome. *(edit)I also like the idea of using them as Orks in a green tide list. I could use the Wood Elf Falcon/Eagle models as deffkoptas and maybe use treeman as killerkans?

Thanks

Charistoph
10-02-2012, 03:11
Tyranids is actually a really good idea, except for the schizophrenic nature of the codex which makes some aspects of it less effective. Treekin can stand in the Warrior sized models as well.

Orks, probably not, but at least they are both non-animal.

Daemons are also another option that you may want to look at, as well. Like 'Nids, they are almost all "natural", and that can easily be translated very easily from the Fantasy Forest Spirit models. You can even carry the theme further by saying that they are "growing" at the spot that they are Deep Striking.

And as a last thought, and if your local shop is up for it, find a copy of the Kompletely Kroot Kodex and see if that would fly with your sense of style.

It's almost too bad there aren't Chaos Eldar that can field Daemons, that would be perfect for the whole "Wood Elves in SPAAACE!" routine.

Dr.Clock
10-02-2012, 07:56
Yeah... tyranids, definitely...

I'd actually favour using dryads as genestealers... as I'd assume they'd be a little harder than hormagaunts.

Also, Ymgarl stealers have an ability not unlike the old dryad rules where they'd choose a tree aspect each turn IIRC.

Good luck.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Axeman1n
10-02-2012, 08:07
As someone who might face an army like this, I'd prefer a Daemons list. The form of the daemon is mutable, and thus completely legal. I'm sure there is some daemon unit that will have stats similar to what ever unit you have.

Thanatos_elNyx
10-02-2012, 09:13
It's almost too bad there aren't Chaos Eldar that can field Daemons, that would be perfect for the whole "Wood Elves in SPAAACE!" routine.

Dark Eldar can field Khymerae which are daemons in all but name.
Also Mandrakes are daemony.

Freakiq
10-02-2012, 09:23
Deamons easily.

The Devourer
10-02-2012, 10:54
Daemons
Basic dryads would make good daemonettes (or bloodletters at a stretch)
Treekin could be any of the large infantry
Treemen could be used as greater daemons.

Grimtuff
10-02-2012, 11:07
Daemons. Easily. Mix in some of the Circle Orboros Wolds and you're set. :)

innerwolf
10-02-2012, 11:21
Another vote for Daemons. For me, the best possible fit for Dryads is as a Horrors count-as, but they would also work well as Daemonettes and Bloodletters(as already said).

Darnok
10-02-2012, 11:37
Daemons
Basic dryads would make good daemonettes (or bloodletters at a stretch)
Treekin could be any of the large infantry
Treemen could be used as greater daemons.

This. You even could rename the "Daemonic Assault" into "Did the woods just started moving?".

Kramone77
10-02-2012, 11:42
When i played Daemons i toyed with the idea of an mixed god list but in a Nurgle style. Forge world plague toads and plaguebearer riders as bloodcrushers for example. I considered dryads as a nurgley version of either horrors or flamers once . Instead of vomiting fire and magical flames its filth and dead leaves!

Shadow Lord
10-02-2012, 12:31

Sorry, but if he wants to play it tournie style, he can't have these bits mixed in as they're not part of the GW range IIRC...still, a good idea tho!

The Devourer
10-02-2012, 13:19
You count also try converting eagles to screamers

LonelyPath
10-02-2012, 13:42
I use my Dryads as Horrors, they seem to fit the look well and are a bit more stable on the base than the proper Horror models.

Korraz
10-02-2012, 14:28
I always had the idea of a tree-heavy exodite army.
Dryads with a bit of Green Stuff make Wraithguard, Treekin are War Walkers and Treemen are Avatars.

Mannimarco
10-02-2012, 14:35
The dryad models do make for some good looking lesser daemons in a CSM army. Better than the "bloodletters that arnt bloodletters" anyway.

I believe Ward used a dryad painted up in skin tones for his kill team nemesis when WD released rules for that.

Gorbad Ironclaw
10-02-2012, 19:51
Sorry, but if he wants to play it tournie style, he can't have these bits mixed in as they're not part of the GW range IIRC...still, a good idea tho!
That's completely dependent on what tournaments we are talking about. If you mean official GW tournaments, possibly not (although I've seen people use McD Happy Meal toys for Chaos Spawn at Grand Tournaments so...), if you are talking most indy tournaments, I would think you could. At least I've never been to an Indy tournament that insisted on GW only models.

Oh, and another vote for Demons. They really make the best fit I think.

Threeshades
11-02-2012, 11:30
Yeah tyranids or daemons would be what you're looking for. I would lean in the direction of daemons though. They just led themselves to counts-as like no other army. You could modify your dryads to to represent different kinds. The default to me would make nice daemonettes with their slim shape and long claws, reshape their limbs to be more blade-like and call them bloodletters. Bulk them out and give them a poisonous look (just google some poisonous plants for ideas) to make plaguebearers or give them some mode of ranged attack for horrors, first thing that comes to mind is either some sort of vines or roots that they could lash at the enemy with through the ground or or a swarm of deadly insects they summon and send at their target, or make them like spriggans from Skyrim (give them an inner glow and they already look exactly like the skyrim spriggans) that use some sort of magic/psychic power just like regular horrors.

You could use the GW Tree terrain (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440312a&prodId=prod1095512) for daemon princes too, while treemen make your greater daemons. Or use the trees to convert a sort of tree-soulgrinder.

I'm sorry I get carried away when someone gives me fire for some cool counts-as ideas. I just love doing that type of stuff.

Draconis
11-02-2012, 14:09
TAU! They could be kroot. At least the fieldcraft would fit, and the infiltrate into woods/jungles :)

Bootz
12-02-2012, 08:26
I agree with the Demons here.

CutThroatRazor
12-02-2012, 21:19
Thanks for all the replies. I enjoyed the Skyrim, Spriggan reply. I had been thinking about that! If anyone can think of anything else please post. Thanks again!

big squig
12-02-2012, 22:45
I've seen people use them as generic daemons in chaos marine armies.

Bob Hunk
13-02-2012, 12:08
Another vote for tree-themed Daemons.

You could use the GW Tree terrain (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440312a&prodId=prod1095512) for daemon princes too, while treemen make your greater daemons. Or use the trees to convert a sort of tree-soulgrinder.

Great idea! :)

Sir_Turalyon
13-02-2012, 12:27
Tree-themed Wracks? Brings new meaning to word barkskin :D.
Hmmm...

anarnii
13-02-2012, 18:04
i vote dark eldar, with loads of wracks / grotesques etc, and have the hermonculi as spellsingers / mages, could work as a evil trees, or nice trees with and exodite theme.

what about necrons? it would be the total opposite, human souls trapped in trees so they could live longer, sprites as scarabs, all kinds of monstrous infantry etc?

Threeshades
13-02-2012, 22:04
Another vote for tree-themed Daemons.

Great idea! :)

Thanks.

Since I discontinued my attempt at making Lizardmen into Counts-as Daemons Space Slann, I might get back to my idea of making an Umbra (http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/40k_MinorRaces/Umbra_Awesome.jpg) Daemons Army where I would use trees as the shadow-constructs of giant umbra that would represent monstrous creatures.

IcedAnimals
13-02-2012, 23:41
I actually bought a unit of dryads to field as my plaguebearers. I run a Slaanesh themed army that represents all seven layers of his kingdom. The dryads represent his garden of vainglory.

silveryfox
14-02-2012, 11:50
A friend of mine uses Dryads as Wraithguards, with added crystals to represent weapons. He uses LotR treemen for Wraithlord (with added weapons). I'm not too keen on it, fluffwise and keeping with Eldar mythos, but they look cool.

Chem-Dog
14-02-2012, 13:02
I actually bought a unit of dryads to field as my plaguebearers. I run a Slaanesh themed army that represents all seven layers of his kingdom. The dryads represent his garden of vainglory.

"Like" button.

Anyway. I'd definitely support the general feeling that Dryads would make an excellent Daemonic entity of some description within 40K. No mention of Dryads as Deamons on Warseer is complete without a nod to these beauties (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?191618-My-Traitor-Guards&p=3828100&viewfull=1#post3828100). (I'm sure Tot should be paying me commission by now :shifty: )

IF you're wanting to build an entire army just using Dryads (and why not) you're going to have to give considerable thought to how you want to differentiate between units of different types, this is especially important if you're doing something like Daemons that need different types of Troops choice units to offset some of their most common gameplay issues. obviously there's a certain amount of mileage you can get out of using different colour paints and perhaps a few sensitive conversions here and there. But then, what about the big guys, GD's and DP's? Personally I think the extension of the theme into using Treemen as MC's sorta misses the point of using Dryads (which, I assume, isn't Dendrophilia ;) ). If it were my project, I'd experiment with a combined "clump" of Dryads to create an amorphous "scribble" of a creature.

Now....where did I put those Dyrads......

IcedAnimals
14-02-2012, 19:04
If you aren't completely committed to the "has to be GW model" there is also the ultraforge tree woman you can use for your greater daemon. I picked one up and the kit comes with a few different options like hands and branches. But that is only an option if you don't intend to play in tournaments or GW stores. (I play at an independent retailer)

Link
http://www.fantization.com/treewoman-resinx1fig.aspx

popisdead
14-02-2012, 23:41
daemonettes.