PDA

View Full Version : Rare 'count as armies'

Minigiant
10-02-2012, 12:42
So after the past few years i have seen all sorts of cool 'count as' armies.

Ive seen:
1) custodes
2) Admech

and plenty more

But what i am wondering is are there any other 'count as' armies out there that, that havent been done for one reason or another

And why? To complex to model or maybe no rules suit them

Just shout them out

Ambience 327
10-02-2012, 16:10
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if there are ideas for counts-as armies that nobody has bothered to make? Possibly, but there are lots of ideas that have been attempted with varying levels of success.

As far as my own work, I am currently in the "models sitting in boxes" stage of creating an Adeptus Arbites force that will be playable as IG, Coteaz GK, SM Scouts or with home-brew rules that I have been pounding away at for quite some time. If I ever get the force completely built and painted as I want, it will be very awesome (to me at least).

Minigiant
10-02-2012, 18:20
Exactly like that

NixonAsADaemonPrince
10-02-2012, 18:27
For awesome counts as that I've seen, a Skaven as Tyranids army,
very nicely done.

As for themes which would be cool but I haven't seen, I'd say a Kill Bill themed army, which I've looked at doing in the past but the right models
have never been forthcoming.

igwarlord
10-02-2012, 18:33
I have a planet of the apes army I use as tau does that count

Khorneguy
10-02-2012, 18:45
I use deamons to play a Zombie Apocalypse themed army, using VC Zombies and various Guardsmen kits to make IG Zombies.

I've seen Admech done using the 'Nids book

Also, Blood Pact using the GK Coteaz build as a base

wyvirn
10-02-2012, 18:53
I saw an amazingly well painted and converted Speed Kult.

Lord Damocles
10-02-2012, 19:27
Never seen anyone actually go so far as to make a Thyruss army yet.

Would be cool (and colourful) as hell.

Chapters Unwritten
10-02-2012, 21:21
Once saw a Guard army that was made up of Orks who, for some reason or another, fought for the Emperor. Complete with "Fer da Emperah!" banners.

soul destroyer
11-02-2012, 01:06
Played a small game recently using the Ig codex but with tyranid models, the list went something like this:

primaris psyker, zoanthrope

vet squad x4, termagants

leman russ, carnifex

ogryn squad, warriors

Is this what you where looking for? it was fun anyway.

TimLeeson
11-02-2012, 05:48
I've done Admech, Ulumeathi and Enslavers. I'd like to do more in the future when I get time, especially the Slaugth, Saruthi ect. I have to put the blame on FFG's books - when they introduce new aliens and give them decent fluff and artwork I always imagine what they'd look like on tabletop.

LonelyPath
11-02-2012, 12:27
I'm currently half way through putting together a plague zombie list using the Nids codex. It's nothing new in the shape of things where counts as lists go, but it is a fun one.

My Guard also have themed Penal Legion Squads. One based on Scooby-Doo (Mystery Incarcerated), another using Beano characters (The Bash Street Kids), one based on the 2000AD strip Bad Company called The Zombie Beat (9 zombies and a alien that's controlling them) and a few others that will be in the works (like the Mean Angels Gang (name based on Judge Dredd but it'll be 0 rock hard girls with big guns)). Not a whole army, but they are fun (if expensive to buy) squads to work on.

Minigiant
11-02-2012, 14:01
What do people think of armies based on these races:

Drugh
Lacrymole
L'Huraxi
Loxatl
Megarachnid
Q'orl
Rak'Gol
Slaugth

Sunyavadin
12-02-2012, 00:38
See my projects.

Also - seriously considering a Rak'Gol army soon.

Guess Who
12-02-2012, 01:41
I saw a guy use Hrud and counted them as Imperial Guard/Traitor Guard. If you don't know what Hrud are, the're basically Skaven, but they use guns. Also saw Mercenaries that counted as Guard, the guy used a mixture of Necromundia models and Catachan models. Looked pretty sick. They even had their own back story.

Sunyavadin
12-02-2012, 01:49
Doing Hrud snipers armed with Fusils for my Farsight Tau army actually, representing the enclave having to rely upon what they can get without access to all of the Empire's resources.

Guess Who
12-02-2012, 01:50
Doing Hrud snipers armed with Fusils for my Farsight Tau army actually, representing the enclave having to rely upon what they can get without access to all of the Empire's resources.

Speaking of Tau, a guy converted up some Lizard men and used them as a Kroot army quite nicely.

Minigiant
12-02-2012, 11:23
Im considering doing a Rak'gol army, how would you advice me to go about this?

Modelling advice?
Count as rules?
Conversion ideas?

UchihaSasukeKun
12-02-2012, 12:03
I have a full converted xenomorph (aliens) army i use as nids but thats as far as ive done.

sprugly
12-02-2012, 12:31
I have a chaos count as wolves army but I guess that's not what you're talking about lol.

What I do have is a squad of space rats. Skaven counts as guard with a currently wip valkyrie that I will be using in a kill team match sometime soon.

Swe my Sig for links to both.

Sprugly

Techpriest
12-02-2012, 12:56
I have seen a counts as Scout army, using the Dark Eldar rules. I really did not think it would work, but the way he themed it and limited himself to certain units, it looked and worked great. He did not use any Haemie's or Grotesque models. only infantry models. And used Speeders as Venoms. And Super charged engine rhinos as Raiders, leaving the top open to shot from and makin git an open topped vehicle.

It played very well as Scouts with a lot of quick hitting tactics.

Sunyavadin
12-02-2012, 13:40
Im considering doing a Rak'gol army, how would you advice me to go about this?

Modelling advice?
Count as rules?
Conversion ideas?

Well, you could do worse than starting with Tyranid models.
Maybe model armour on them (Like I did with my Dark Eldar Archon's bodyguards, using Ravener models and the look of the Laer described in Fulgrim as the base, before the official ones were released. Unexpectedly my Ur-ghuls, using Heresy minis' ghouls, look almost exactly the same as the official ones GW eventually released), and try to give them some bionics. Rules-wise, I'd probably look at 'nids but make their enhancements technological rather than biological in nature. Make each biomorph count as a cybernetic upgrade for modelling purposes.