PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the right initiation to fantasy

Corvus Corone
10-02-2012, 15:21
Hey all, corvus here. Just looking for a little guidance and wisdom from those who know fantasy; I'm having one of those "omfg I can't decide which army to do" moments and would appreciate some external opinion. Thanks for any views, chaps; I'm in a pickle and I need a slap in the face of cold sense.

So here's the situation:

As a long time 40k player, I decided a while ago that it was finally time to get into fantasy. I was very familiar with 7th as I used to work for GW and really liked the game; it had certain elements of strategy and tactic that you just don't get in 40k (and vice versa; they're just different games). I think 8th will be fine for me too.

I don't have that much cash and we all know that this is an expensive hobby, and having been in the hobby for a while I know how important it is to do the right army rather than change your mind later. This means that I like to choose armies that are flexible so can get stuck into every aspect of the game. I also can't stand building and painting stuff that I'm not excited about; the models have to be cool.

Straight away I knew the undead were my bag and here lies my predicament. I bought some TK stuff but I'm coming to the realisation that they're actually quite two dimensional on the table. There are things that work for them, and things that don't, which combined with their policy on marching means that I can't see any one TK army being able to play very flexibly without changing it's units around frequently (I tend only to make a certain size of army (about 2k for fantasy) and leave it at that rather than go up 3k pts + and swap and change for small games). So, I'm starting to think it might be best to sell my TK stuff (mostly unbuilt) and go for VCs.

I'm a players' player. I want an army that I have to command, and command well. This usually means an army that gives me options, choices for sneaky moves and differing tactics even with the same 2k list; something I won't be bored or frustrated with after several games.

I guess what I'm really asking is; how do the two armies feel on the table? Or, in more detail, are TKs as rigid in composition and slow on the table as they seem? Are Vampire Counts any more flexible? And does it justify my selling my tomb kings and jumping boat to the VCs?

Or am I just being blinded by the shiny of the new?

quietus1986
10-02-2012, 16:35
standard points for fantasy is 2400pnt. And for vampire counts it only gets interesting from 2000pnt or more.

Corvus Corone
10-02-2012, 16:48
standard points for fantasy is 2400pnt. And for vampire counts it only gets interesting from 2000pnt or more.

Really, why so for VCs?

Snake1311
10-02-2012, 18:10
I don't really agree with your evaluation of TK.

From my understand, you want to:
A) build an army of X points and not expand it further (out of money/time concerns im guessing)
B) get tactically different games out of the same list.

I'm not an expert on the new vampires since I don't have the book yet, but I'd say TK are actually better than them in the 'B' department - I mean, vamps pretty much (entirely?) skip the shooting phase, so thats the 'sit back because ive got superior firepower and wait for them to come to me' tactic out the window straight away :P.

My advice would be to stick with the TKs. They've got more units fulfilling different functions (so more 'types' of unit I suppose), and they've got the 'tricks' department covered with items and entombed beneath the sands.

Worship
10-02-2012, 22:40
I couldn't give you in-depth info on the armies, but from a modeling and aesthetic standpoint, I think VC would definitely be the way to go!

Arctaeus
10-02-2012, 22:44

I've had a lot of fun using Vampire Counts below 2000points. Why does it only get fun at the 2000point level? :)

m1acca1551
10-02-2012, 22:52
Well depending on what TK guys you bought, keep them and have them as part of a Lahmian themed army?? You lahmian vampire took her body guad with her as she fled from her home?? (skeles and TG) convert some of them and save some cash??

VC have a tad more going for them over TK as they were written by a better writer (IMO) and not as handicapped by certain rules etc death of general only for 1 turn, healing characters etc.

Corvus Corone
11-02-2012, 20:35
I've no internet at home at the moment, so I apologise for the tardiness of my response.

Thanks for the contributions, all. Exactly what I needed; some external perspective.

First, snakebell; you're kind of right, and thats one of the reasons why I'm cautious to leap into The VC bandwagon. No shooting phase (outside of various sonic attacks) is a big factor. However I'd argue that the VC are capable of more tricks than the tks, mostly thanks to their magic but also the units availiable to them and their speed, and while ebts is decent, your opponent gets fair warning and it can go horribly wrong.

And m1acca1551, that is a totally fantastic idea. A lahmian vampire. A tainted khemrian force. This might have to be done; many thanks for the inspiration!