PDA

View Full Version : Corpse cart as engine or throne?

Malorian
10-02-2012, 16:38
So I was looking at the 'new' VC army box and groaned at the corpse cart (it's kind of like the silver helms of the HE army box).

Anyway, I then saw the box for the mortis engine and throne on the right side of the page and thought about how easy it would be to convert the corpse cart into one of those!

It would be easy to convert, use something you have laying around anyway, and then you don't have to deal with the nightmare which is the massive and easy to break actual kit for the engine/throne.

My only worry is that people would cry about line of sight issues, but as long as we just assumed it was bigger I don't think that would be that bad.

Now I know the automatic answer is "Check with tournament organizer first." and "As long as it's a clear conversion.", but otherwise what do people think about this?

Vaiuri
10-02-2012, 17:01
I think as an Engine it would work well, especially with the Necomancer fella that comes with it. You could swop the zombies pulling it for some skelly steeds or Dire Wolves or something - also the Balefire onthe back looks cool and impressive. I think you may struggle more with it as a Throne, unless you REALLY pimp it up or go for a Strigoi or Necrarch style Throne. Damn, I gave myself ideas >.<

Gooner
10-02-2012, 17:01
IMO, you can do anything you want as long as it can legit represent the model you are aiming for. So that means you need to include the spirit host that gets attacks, the banshees scream, the corpsemaster, the relic. The LOS thing is less of an issue as long as you say at the beginning of the game you will be easy going about it. I agree that the corpse cart shouldnt be in the battalion. They are great to have even 2 of, but when you just want to buff up your core they dont make sense.

Jind_Singh
10-02-2012, 17:03
Out of interest - why was it 'groan High Elf Silver Helms'?

One is an utterly useless unit with horrible models - the other is a great model with a great and viable place in the Vampire Army.

Just curious!

As for doing it - why not? Make your models into whatever you want - so long as it looks good!

Malorian
10-02-2012, 17:11
Out of interest - why was it 'groan High Elf Silver Helms'?

Because you want things you can spam.

You can never get enough skeletons and ghouls, but after 1 or 2 corpse carts there really isn't a need for any more.

If the corpse cart have been replaced with 10 grave guard the army box would be a win for both new and experienced VC players.

Jind_Singh
10-02-2012, 17:29
Ahhh! See what you mean! Sell the extra carts to Warriors of Chaos folks who play Nurgle - for Warshrines!! Or tie some boars or wolves to the front - hey presto!!

Malorian
10-02-2012, 17:33
Or tie some boars or wolves to the front - hey presto!!

Now there is an interesting idea ;)

FoolsJourney
10-02-2012, 20:39
I've been thinking for some time of modifying one for a Khorne Daemons chariot. :-)

Balerion
10-02-2012, 21:21
From an aesthetic POV I think you'd have to do a lot of work to make it look good, especially doing something to address the height/spectral steeds issue. It's not very intuitive to have to envision a creaky wooden wheelbarrow as a magical throne carried aloft by intangible spirits. Without putting in the work it'll just look like a counts-as proxy (which is totally fine with me from an etiquette perspective; I'm more than happy playing with/against anything from an empty base up, and my Coven Throne and Mortis Engine are currently made from Lego).

Kayosiv
11-02-2012, 02:47
If the corpse cart have been replaced with 10 grave guard the army box would be a win for both new and experienced VC players.

If that kit had grave guard in it I'd have ordered mine already.

TsukeFox
11-02-2012, 05:29
From an aesthetic POV I think you'd have to do a lot of work to make it look good, especially doing something to address the height/spectral steeds issue. It's not very intuitive to have to envision a creaky wooden wheelbarrow as a magical throne carried aloft by intangible spirits. Without putting in the work it'll just look like a counts-as proxy (which is totally fine with me from an etiquette perspective; I'm more than happy playing with/against anything from an empty base up, and my Coven Throne and Mortis Engine are currently made from Lego).
Must see picture-!!

Lego is the Bestest-!!

But yaaa is the corpse cart a large target-? If not just do not attach the spirit host to the chassis of the "throne/engine" and slap some wheels&axels underneath.

At least that way it will not be large and unwieldy.

Urgat
11-02-2012, 07:56
You can do it if you want. Sure. I'll also try and decide what's the coolest looking model in my army and try and proxy it with a core choice, for lolz :p
Seriously, I'd get the actual thing, and use the cart for terrain; I'm sure you can make both gallows and a corpse pit with one of those, and probably even more stuff.

Balerion
11-02-2012, 08:40
Must see picture-!!

Lego is the Bestest-!!

But yaaa is the corpse cart a large target-? If not just do not attach the spirit host to the chassis of the "throne/engine" and slap some wheels&axels underneath.

At least that way it will not be large and unwieldy.
Here you go. ;)

They were pretty fun to build, and it's a happy coincidence that Lego makes a flat plate piece that is exactly the same size as a chariot base.

vinush
11-02-2012, 09:40
Dude, they are made of win! I'd love to get the Mortis Engine kit, but the size of the damn thing is putting me off.

Mcbruce
11-02-2012, 09:51
Brilliant! May have to dig my old lego out of the attic now.

BeatTheBeat
11-02-2012, 11:43
Here you go. ;)

They were pretty fun to build, and it's a happy coincidence that Lego makes a flat plate piece that is exactly the same size as a chariot base.

Mate, you MUST go over to Carpe Noctem and post those in their "show us your..." section! MUST!

RugbySkin
11-02-2012, 14:19
It's actually VERY easy to assemble. The ghosty part is 6 pieces before you factor in shields and heads and such. The only bad thing is there are some parts that you will HAVE to paint first before you finish assembling.And if you get 2, the extra bits in the others make for some good scenery/decoration. I'm working on one of the vamp skanks into a lord cause I HATE the finecast Vamp Lord.

TsukeFox
12-02-2012, 01:19
Here you go. ;)

Wow- that realy made my day.

Feefait
12-02-2012, 03:03
You win Bale.

Ludaman
12-02-2012, 03:57
Hahaha Legos! Brilliant!

artisturn
12-02-2012, 04:44
Those are so sweet looking . I like the lego skellies.

Vaiuri
12-02-2012, 11:45
Here you go. ;)

+1 internets for Balerion!

Harwammer
12-02-2012, 13:39
I was going to suggest selling the carts onto WoC players but I've been beaten to it. Using them for boar chariots is a splendid idea, though! It'd be much easier than doing a convincing conversion into a mortis engine/throne.

@Balerion: That's some nice Lego work. Do you really need to paint it? I thought the beauty of lego hammer was that it's precoloured and massively cannibaliseable?

Balerion
12-02-2012, 18:47
Whaaa? There's no paint on either of them, and I have no plans to apply any (it would ruin my Lego pieces!)

Here's a bonus pic of my Lego Black Coach, which was the first of my Legohammer projects (dating back to 7th edition, when I bought the actual Black Coach model and was massively disappointed with how ugly/antiquated it was, and needed a prettier replacement).

vinush
12-02-2012, 21:12
Just finished assembling the Coven throne... Dear god, I've spent 3 1/2 hours putting the damn thing together! And I can't even glue it fully together if I intend to paint it...

THE \/ince

Vaiuri
13-02-2012, 12:12
I feel your pain Vince, finished the main body of mine last night, thought about not gluing it, but was too keen to see how it would look after I sawed off a lot of the ghostly chaff from the bottom. I'm in the 'if you cant see it, dont paint it' camp when it comes to these models, but I am NOT looking forward to painting it! Got the feeling I should have bought Lego instead :shifty:

Urgat
13-02-2012, 15:17
I'm in the 'if you cant see it, dont paint it' camp when it comes to these models
Pb is, this camp often mixes "can't see it" with "can't reach it", which is not necessarily the same thing :p

Kayosiv
13-02-2012, 15:41
Pb is, this camp often mixes "can't see it" with "can't reach it", which is not necessarily the same thing :p

But I want them to be so bad!

GotrekFan
14-02-2012, 12:20
I've painted mine on stages (engine build) and had 7 pieces. Both sides of the host, the lectern, the corpse master, the infernal device, the front gate and the main chassis.
The chassis has 3 sides and the steps as well as the skeleton torches & braziers.
I've put about 4-6 hours of painting into it so far an should be able to finish tonight.
For me it looked a lot more awkward to paint than it actually was, so keep an open mind and you'll fly through it:)

Vaiuri
14-02-2012, 12:47

You're quite right ofc! I'm sure I'll be lamenting my impatience the moment I pick up a brush!

So Malorian, any closer to your decision?

Harwammer
14-02-2012, 12:57
Whaaa? There's no paint on either of them, and I have no plans to apply any (it would ruin my Lego pieces!).
I agree it would! Clearly I misunderstood something and got the false impression you wanted to paint them.

vinush
14-02-2012, 19:21
I'm now thinking of putting the Mortis Engine parts from my kit onto a Cart chassis to make my own Mortis engine. Or possibly on the remnants of my black coach model (I've lost the roof and driver anyway).

THE \/ince

lordfeint
15-02-2012, 07:21
I told our VC player that he should use his unassembled cart from one of his battalions as a Mortis Engine and immediately started cracking jokes about how the vampire chicks on his ghostly throne thing (that he just finished) would snort derisively at whatever vampire or necromancer would be so ghetto as to show up to battle in such an unpimped ride. He added that said vampire might as well put a big green warpstone gem on the dash and hang a pair of scatter dice from the rear-view.

Grrrr... now I want to find a suitable '64 Belair model to trick out Compton style for my 40k Orks.

GotrekFan
15-02-2012, 10:24
Finished the engine last night.
Glad it wasn't as much of a nightmare as it initially seemed.