PDA

View Full Version : Considering returning the fantasy, I have some questions!

spaghettyhoop
10-02-2012, 21:47
I havent played fantasy since I was a teenager, about 14 years ago in fact! When the starter box that came with the lizardmen was brand new.

Been back into warhammer a few years now, but just 40k. Play it a lot and have 3 big armies, but I do miss painting goblins, and 40k orcs dont do it for me.

So, how is fantasy these days in comparison to 40k. Is it simplified like 40k is, or is it more complicated (when i came back to 40k, 5th was new and I hadent played since 2nd ed, so you can imagine how much of a shock it was!) Im planning to pop to my local GW when I get some time off work to learn some basics as none of my mates are really into fantasy.

But the main reason I want to come back, is a goblin army. Is a goblin army possible these days? Preferably an all night goblin army. They are the models I love, and I want to field loads of them! Bear in mind, im not fussed about been competitive, I just want to have fun!

Any advice appreciated, I dont really know where to start!

thesheriff
10-02-2012, 22:59
Fantasy has become alot more simplified. Perhaps less of a dramatic change than 40k (you did need a maths/physics doctorate to play 2nd ed :p). But, I would still say 40k is easier and more forgiving than fantasy tactically, simply due to the good old unit mechanic (arcs, pivoting etc). However, fantasy has guess ranges abd relays on randomness alot more (magic is alot more deadly, both for the caster and the target). That's just my opinion though, I'm sure there will be those who disagree :D. My only advice is to READ THE BOOK. Being an adult with a grasp in current GW game mechanics, it wont be Das Kapital, and you should pick up most of the basics through a good reading session.

To your second question, Goblins are awsome. They've steadily gained new units since Ravenibg Hordes. Night, forest and Regular Goblibs can be fielded. Units of chariots. 3 Types of Warmachine. 4 Types of Squig. Giant muther-hubbard spiders! An all goblin army is incredible liberal for a themed army. You could go even futher with limiting yourself to Nught goblins, which many people do. It's a great theme, and a cool re-introduction to fantasy.

thesheriff

Kayosiv
11-02-2012, 02:17
Orcs and Goblins are one of the 4 armies out of 15 to get a new 8th edition book, so right now is an excellent time to get back into the hobby if you love your gobbos. An all goblin force has never been more viable than in this edition. While it lacks elite units (obviously) it can field everything from shooting, magic, big and small monsters, cavalry, and combat hordes. Goblins may not be strong, but a unit of 100 with spears is going to get a LOT of attacks. Another nice thing about goblins is that their heroes are so dirt cheap (and with good cause, they are fairly weak) they can be spread out everywhere in your army that they are needed.

Also on a personal note, the Arachnarok spider is one of the coolest models produced by GW to date. That thing has caused great urges to start orcs and goblins where none existed before. Check it out. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440081a&prodId=prod900159a

vinush
12-02-2012, 16:33
I would love to put together an all Goblin army, but even at 1000 points I would need about 90 Night Goblins, a bunch of warmachines and a load of fanatics...

Thnat said, they would be incredibly effective in this edition as you can have more ranks and therefore be steadfast.

THE \/ince

J.P. Biff
13-02-2012, 06:40
I agree with all the above. One thing I'll add though, is a formula for 8th ed. Fantasy horde armies that you should keep in mind:

GW prices + Horde army = Bank loan or Bankruptcy.

There is a value which can be added, which will give you a more desirable result though:

GW prices + Horde army + Selling illegal drugs for profit = great times

:P :P :P

spaghettyhoop
13-02-2012, 10:00
Haha, well im planning to fund it bit by bit, at the moment im still finishing up my Behemoth tyranids and red scorpions marines. Gota lot of stuff to stick on ebay in the coming month too so money isnt gonna be a problem (I also work full time and have no kids and an understanding girlfriend :P ) I tend to buy most of my models with vouchers I get from work for hitting sales targets. Not bad basically been rewarded with free warhammers for just doing my job! haha.

Anyway, im definently gonna give fantasy a go. Ive loaned the rule book and O+G army book and had a read through, and definently going to go back to my roots and do a goblin army. I love the idea of a few units of night gobbs with fanatics, loads of squig herders and some doom divers and stuff at the back! Should be fun to play (I dont do competitive really, just play for fun :P)

I also dug out my ancient box of models from 12 years back, and so far have...

The original Azhag the Slaughterer model on wyvern
3 Sets of original Doom Divers
5 or 6 of the really old fanatics (older than the "collecters" versions on the GW site)
A hell of a lot of snotlings.
A few metal forest goblin spider riders.
And, even though they dont exist on the army book anymore it seems, some Forrest goblin infintry, musicians and stuff.
Oh, and some of the old original savage orcs

Was a right nostalgia trip!

zak
13-02-2012, 10:13
The old forest goblins go quite well on ebay if you neeed extra cash. You will need it as your army will need atleast 100 Night goblins before you start adding the extras. A great army though with one of the better model ranges available.

Yowzo
13-02-2012, 10:32
The original Azhag the Slaughterer model on wyvern
3 Sets of original Doom Divers
5 or 6 of the really old fanatics (older than the "collecters" versions on the GW site)
A hell of a lot of snotlings.
A few metal forest goblin spider riders.
And, even though they dont exist on the army book anymore it seems, some Forrest goblin infintry, musicians and stuff.
Oh, and some of the old original savage orcs

Well, forest gobbo infantry is just forest-themed regular gobbos now, but go great with the spider riders and a-rock.

Check ebay, you can get night gobbos from the old battle for skull pass dirt cheap. Like 10 euro for 40 spears and 20 archers etc.

Obviously the new interesting units (read: mangler squig, arachnarock) cost a fortune, but with 3 doom divers you're quite covered on the warmachine front for the beginning and gobbos are a great army to play at low point values.