PDA

View Full Version : What are thunder hammer and storm shields a good buy for?

Akaiyou
11-02-2012, 12:24
Besides terminators what are good units to equip with TH & SS?

The reason I ask is because I tried to order online some TH & SS for my terminators and instead was given the regular TH & SS metal bits that GW sells which are for power armour models. Those are obviously too small for terminators, anyway I got a refund and got to keep the hammers/shields and don't know what to do with them.

I play ultramarines, black legion, grey knights, blood angels, dark angels and black templar. So i'm hoping that i could put those to use some way some how. any ideas??

if they don't work for any of the armies i own then what are they good on? I got 10 of these orphaned bits help me find them a shoulder to rest on.

Sir_Turalyon
11-02-2012, 12:30
Metal TH/SSs are made for metal Terminators and may be to big for power armoured models - especialy the large Terminator shoulder pads. Terminators or older metal terminators are still the best match here.

Akaiyou
11-02-2012, 12:42
Are you sure? even their description on the GW site says they are for power armor models. Have you seen them?

LonelyPath
11-02-2012, 12:49
Those TH & SS arms were designed for Termies, though Termies have got bigger since they were made and no longer fit them so well. If you look back at the old metal models they were much smaller than they are now and the arms are closer to fitting PA marines, with a little conversion work they can look quite good.

EDIT - My mistake, those are the PA ones.

Sir_Turalyon
11-02-2012, 13:05
No, my bad, I posted before checking the store. These

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440339a&prodId=prod1400033

are not terminator made bits I thought about (cabling is different and hammer is left handed). Again, my bad. As the hammers are left-handed, they may still be convertible to terminator weapons (if you can cut arm at elbow and pin it to left arm of Terminator, then replace storm bolter with shield).

As of power armoured models... Those few units that may use them can have hammers with or without shields, and shields without hammers, so you can mix and match these bits. If you use these units, you can add one-two shields to each squad for designated bullet catchers to improve it's survivability. The store page lists Command Squads and Vanguard Vets; DA company veterans and BA Honour Guard can have them as well. Seregant of assault squad can take one, through he's to expansive for bullet catcher; shield may be (expansive) way to keep his power fist alive. Captain can be given a SS as well, especially with relic weapon as their don't hinder each other with their penalities. AFAIR Grey Knights don't use shields on regular squads.

As of hammers... just give them to unit you were about to give a power fist to, if it can take it and you want to pay extra points for fancy looking fist. Or give them to Grey Knights as nemesis hammers?

Akaiyou
11-02-2012, 13:54
Ah alright I was wondering how they'd fit on terminators since they do look a bit smaller
but yeah i figured captains would use them but the relic blade just seems like a better option than the hammers
vanguard vets may be a good choice on BA for the shields i think

The Marshel
11-02-2012, 21:33
i believe they're the hammers and shields from the iron hands kits

thunder hammers are basically powerfist, so if its worth putting a powerfist on it's worth a hammer, but be sure you can actually take one.

though using all 5 on one unit would be too expensive, command squads love their storm shields, and having 1 or 2 thunder hammers in the squad is certainly a good idea. Consider mounting them on bikes and using them as a highly durably cc unit

Theocracity
11-02-2012, 21:44
Wolf Lords and Wolf Guard can use TH/SS while in power armor as well.