PDA

View Full Version : How has your buying behaviour changed?

Doommasters
13-02-2012, 19:43
Pretty simple Poll, we all know GW has shifted to finecast and their prices have continued to skyrocket upwards. There is plenty of specualtion as to why but it does not change the fact there are increasingly more model companies popping up that offer quality models at significantly cheaper prices.

So how have has your model buying behaviour chnaged over the last few years and why?

Lance Tankmen
13-02-2012, 20:16
i really wish i could buy other Non GW models but im stubborn Ld 8 i just dont buy fine cast if possible, i hate having to clean it and fill in gaps with green stuff

Doommasters
13-02-2012, 20:42
i really wish i could buy other Non GW models but im stubborn Ld 8 i just dont buy fine cast if possible, i hate having to clean it and fill in gaps with green stuff

I failed my re-roll at the start of last year now I don't even bother with the BSB anymore.

GW and FW still make the best monsters but I am finding I can buy cheaper and equally as good core and special units from other model companies *cough Mantic *cough....

Jind_Singh
13-02-2012, 20:43
If anything I'm buying more GW now than ever before - the recent jump in quality is eye watering good - I drool when I see a lot of the new stuff!

As for Finecast - for the most part I prefer it over metal - found a NEW Gorbad Ironclaw under my sofa last night - I was like

"WOW! Gorbad! What a SWEET model! Why is he still not assembled?!"

In excitement I opened the box - and shrank in horror when I saw the sheer amount of effort, time, and work needed to blooming assemble this monster!!! Almost EVERY piece needs to be pinned, greenstuff galore to fill the gaps, not to mention a long, long time with the file set to smooth out the joint lines.

All in all it's going to take me the best part of a week to get this guy together - total hobby time estimate is FOUR hours at least!

Finecast takes a fraction of the time!!! And it won't weigh a ton either once built!

loveless
13-02-2012, 20:50
I still buy the GW models I want, Finecast or not. That said, I've branched out more with other games - I work through Privateer Press, Wyrd, Cipher, Reaper, Mantic, and even some Kingdom Death stuff.

I tend to get more excited about building GW-based armies, but other companies' models are often more exciting for a single project. For instance, I have a hefty pile of Dark Eldar currently and will have another collection of Vampire Counts by year's end, I'm sure - but right now I'm excited for the Kingdom Death Flower Knight I have coming in the mail and looking to get my hands on Cipher's Theurgia Gear. There's nothing out there from GW right now that's on my "have to have it NAO" list, but plenty on my "want to have eventually" list.

pointyteeth
13-02-2012, 20:50
I quite like GW models, but the price is hard to justify sometimes. Especially with the large number of models needed for a unit these days. I will, as ever, continue to use eBay and hoardobits for most of my GW purchases. As for non-GW manufacturers, I love them. Many people in my area don't go abroad for model purchases, or perhaps just go GW because they play at GW locations. Personally, I wouldn't trade my TrollForged grave guard or Gribbly Mini's Throgg for anything. In fact, my upcoming Warriors tournament army will be using a bunch of the new Avatar of War chaos warrior substitutes and I'm ordering a huge quantitiy of conversion bits from MaxMini for the GW models I am using. Avatar of War's lord of torment is looking mighty tasty too.

Lord Cedric
13-02-2012, 20:58
For Warhammer, I only buy GW. For now. I absolutely love the models. Even many of their older models, though outdated in looks, have character IMO. I was just dusting off my old Undead army (yep.. before VC's) and found a very nice model of the Dread Lord - sitting on his throne and the Book of the Dead (or some necromancer's book) resting opened on a pedestal to go along with it. The model just looks fantastic. Jump ahead to last month and the new VC models look amazing. No, I am not happy with the prices rising. But to be honest I have gotten use to it by just about everything else in today's age. So for me, if I really like the model then I am more than willing to pay for it. Otherwise I look for bargains on *that one big auction site* or other websites.

- Lord Cedric

The Low King
13-02-2012, 21:03
I like most of the GW models and i only have 3 non GW (privatly commissioned) models in my army, ones i bought as extras to rather than replacements for GW models.

I also absolutely love some of the GW stuff and have bought a few models 'cos they looked cool' (cockatrice) despite being on a student loan wich keeps running out.

I have bought more finecast models recently (as in more of that type than i would have of metal) because the details are so much better/sharper and the models more detailed.

I also will probably only buy GW models because i tend to play in store and i want to play warhammer, not Mantic with a warhammer rulebook (this i feel paticularly strongly about).

Desert Rain
13-02-2012, 21:15
I've bought some hero and other unique models from other companies, mainly Reaper. Apart from character models I don't think that any other company makes good High Elves. The ones from Mantic makes me want to puke.

Little Joe
13-02-2012, 21:43
Well I have found many miniature companies out there I like and increasingly buy from. But at the same time I increased GW second hand spending so I do buy the stuff in a way (sometimes even directly:o). I think (and hope) I get what I want, when I want it within my budget. Sadly the budget is not large enough to get all I want but it is also significantly to large. I outbuy my painting at least four times.
Which is not bad, because I like getting mail from around the world. And eventually it will get built and painted because there is only so much I want/can store.

But yes I have been attracted to some small companies, with small games I can actually hope to finish something of, within a reasonable time. I have three GW fantasy armies, and they all have a bases count of 300+ (even dwarfs) and I lost count with O&G a long time ago. I like it!:) There are some companies out there I will likely get some more stuff from (Tor Gaming, Zombiesmith, Warploque Miniatures to name some).
It is also the rules and background. I do like 8th army books so far as they have internal balance.

I made it my hobby and enjoy it all, and there is so much good stuff out there.

Duke Ramulots
13-02-2012, 21:45
I play warhammer with warhammer figures to support the people that make warhammer. :)

vinush
13-02-2012, 21:58
For troops as much as I can I use other companies (well, company really, as it's Mantic FTW).

My VC army will hopefully see all of my core troops replaced with Mantic stuff as soon as I have the cash. I already have 30 Ghouls and 30 Skeleton Revenants (Read: Grave Guard) from them. I need around 60 regular skellies and about the same of zombies and I'll be happy as I usually only play 1k-2k points, and this is ample for me.

THE \/ince

shelfunit.
13-02-2012, 22:02
I try and avoid buying GW models where possible - the majority of their R&F troops are anatomically ridiculous and their prices no longer match the quality of the models they produce. A few of the big monster kits (manticore, chimera) have been some of their worst releases in many years. Saying that they do have a few lines that are exceptional - skaven being the foremost and a number of other armies have a few sets that are very good (lizardmen, WOC) and Warhammer Forge have produced (new pile of rocks with ork mask aside) universally excellent sculpts, with prices in some cases lower than mainline GW equivalents. Other manufacturers are begining to provide models of similar and, in some cases higher quality to GW at a fraction of their costs. GW currently rely on a majority of those who know of nothing else and those who are purely GW fans and will blindly buy anything they produce out of a misplaced notion of loyalty.

jonthebetrayer
13-02-2012, 22:05
I would buy non-GW stuff but I have no idea what to buy and from where to buy it, with GW i know what i want and know how to get it. I am finding it increasingly harsh on my wallet and bank balance :mad:

Lordy
13-02-2012, 22:11
I play warhammer with warhammer figures to support the people that make warhammer. :)

lol didn't see that coming at all.

m1acca1551
13-02-2012, 22:16
Being from Australia my purchases have gone the way of the dodo. Well purchases from GW australia that is :P.

Alot of my WFB mini's are purchased through the US and sent from my address there, so i can avoid being blatantly ripped off. Other companies are now seeing my money more frequently. Mantic for there zombies and with the Empire release around the corner i have been looking at perry miniatures war of the roses.

Living in a country in which we are charged more than what a product is worth makes it very difficult to continue in this hobby. All i can say is thank christ for the internet other wise i simply wouldnt play GW games at all.

CaliforniaGamer
13-02-2012, 22:20
Being from Australia my purchases have gone the way of the dodo. Well purchases from GW australia that is :P.

Alot of my WFB mini's are purchased through the US and sent from my address there, so i can avoid being blatantly ripped off. Other companies are now seeing my money more frequently. Mantic for there zombies and with the Empire release around the corner i have been looking at perry miniatures war of the roses.

Living in a country in which we are charged more than what a product is worth makes it very difficult to continue in this hobby. All i can say is thank christ for the internet other wise i simply wouldnt play GW games at all.

Has anyone adequately explained why this is the case? Is GW just completely bilking the favorable exchange rate?

Havock
13-02-2012, 22:28
I buy as little GW as possible. I sometimes buy a box of this or that to get my points up to spec with whatever the local fantasy players play most at (gradual increase towards 3k points for now). But that's mostly fantasy, 40k is **** at the moment -in my opnion, and I haven't played a game in... a year or so?

Maybe one box per 6 months or so.
Hobby allocated money is primarily going to Infinity and Warmahordes at the moment. Not deluding myself that these companies don't want my money as bad as GW, it's just that their exchange rate is better :p

Harwammer
13-02-2012, 22:57
I've bought very few non-plastic models since 8th has come out. I bought a Hellcannon with my 8th ed pre order (has to be put together with a hammer). I bought some of the DoW siege crossbowmen to finish off an old unit. I asked for a Jabber for xmas (close enough counts to buying one in my book). I don't think FC has changed my buying habbits as I have a massive bias towards plastic: it is much easier for me to work with and doing so is probably the largest part of my hobby (after wasting my life on forums, right?).

Has anyone adequately explained why this is the case? Is GW just completely bilking the favorable exchange rate?

I've heard that Australians are much better paid or have far better disposible income. This theory suggests GW charge more cos ozzies can pay more. Disclaimer: I've no idea if this is true. Sounds a little suspect.

The other thing I heard is running costs for ozzy stores are much higher which makes it harder for GW stockists to compete with euro-web prices (obviously they need a lot more air con than in the UK or something :P). For this reason GW charges more so the shops can keep the hobby alive on the streets.

I don't know if either or both of these are true.

Skywave
13-02-2012, 23:13
I voted "I have started buying increasingly more non GW models". With that I include my effort to buy a lot of used, OOP stuff from eBay. Especially true for the core my armies, I use a combination of OOP stuff and alternative mini when possible, some Mantics undead, some Perry's War of of the Roses for my Empire, etc.

Doommasters
13-02-2012, 23:38
I would buy non-GW stuff but I have no idea what to buy and from where to buy it, with GW i know what i want and know how to get it. I am finding it increasingly harsh on my wallet and bank balance :mad:

Follow this thread there are plenty of people posting places to visit for alternative models, another good one is Avatars of War.

Tuttivillus
13-02-2012, 23:44
one significant position in the poll is missing : I recently stopped buying new models. E-bay fever!!! :D

The Devourer
13-02-2012, 23:49
Voted :I avoid GW where possible.

In reality I have completely stopped buying any new GW models. I either buy models from other alternative companies or second hand from ebay.

Duke Ramulots
13-02-2012, 23:54
lol didn't see that coming at all.

At least I'm consistant.

someone2040
13-02-2012, 23:58
I voted I buy only GW models.
For Warhammer, one of my places of play is at my local GW, so I only buy GW models for my Warhammer armies. This for me, is perfectly fine I feel. GW make great models. I have the money to buy them (Although, I do begrudge the Aussie price and try and buy from overseas when making a large order). So I am fine with buying these miniatures.

For other games though, I don't mind bridging out. Not all my Bloodbowl miniatures are GW for example. But when it comes to Warhammer, well... I haven't found another company that I like the look over the GW miniatures so much so that I would drop GW to buy an army of their mini's (That and I'm trying to cut down on new armies... so not buying that much anymore).

dimetri1
14-02-2012, 00:23
I voted Only GW models though Finecast is pushing me away from the hobby.

enygma7
14-02-2012, 00:24
I've always felt at home to use other companies models if they are prettier/fit my theme better. Nothings changed there.

My spending on all models has plumeted over the past year or so - mostly because I've decided I should be painting and finishing what I have rather than buying even more stuff - a process that is likely to keep me busy for a few years yet :). Most of my "GW" spending has been on forgeworld to round out what I already have - I've been building AI and gothic forces to go with my 40k armies and adding impressive centre pieces to existing collections (such as the new skaven warlord on broodhorror).

Having paid GW prices without complaint for over 18 years they are finally reaching the point where I'm reluctant to pay them. The only spending I'm likely to make on GW stuff any time soon would be to add stuff to existing armies. I'd certainly be highly reluctant to start a new warhammer army with current prices, even buying from an online discount store. Because of that any future spending is likely to go to other companies - privateer press etc. Not that they are exactly cheap, but you need less to field a viable army.

Flash Felix
14-02-2012, 02:48
I am doing my best to avoid buying GW models.

As a New Zealander, GW expects me to pay local prices, which are about 35-50% higher than UK ones, just for living in New Zealand. I love the game, I really like the models, but they can get stuffed if they think I'm putting up with that crap.

I can say that future armies will largely be determined by alternate model ranges for me. So once my High Elves are painted, I'm looking at Empire (Perry War of the Roses figures), Warriors (Avatars of War, with Warlords Vikings maybe) or Orcs (I really like the Mantic ones). Given my painting rate I have a year or two to go anyway, so maybe GW will reverse this policy. In the unlikely event that they do, and us Kiwis are only ripped off to the same level as European or US players, then I'll buy stuff from them.

Until then, they can sod off.

djpringle
14-02-2012, 06:05
I still only buy GW models due to only having a GW store as a playing location nearby but I have drastically reduced the amount I buy. Primarily due to a backlog of stuff needing painting and building but also for the fact that I don't really need vast quantities of stuff these days.

Disposable Hero
14-02-2012, 07:21
I only buy GW models at a 20% discount.

Mantic, Confrontation, Avatars of War, I get from my local indie.

m1acca1551
14-02-2012, 09:43
I've heard that Australians are much better paid or have far better disposible income. This theory suggests GW charge more cos ozzies can pay more. Disclaimer: I've no idea if this is true. Sounds a little suspect.

The other thing I heard is running costs for ozzy stores are much higher which makes it harder for GW stockists to compete with euro-web prices (obviously they need a lot more air con than in the UK or something :P). For this reason GW charges more so the shops can keep the hobby alive on the streets.

I don't know if either or both of these are true.

Aussies are fairly well paid in respects to average income, but then again we are also charged alot more for items that are available cheaper elsewhere in the world eg: In western australia you can be expected to pay upwards of 300-350'000 for a 3-1 home in a bad neighbourhood whilst in other places you like the USA that money can buy you something much much nicer.

Higher wages are probably one of the only elements that would cause GW to raise it prices, but even then there arent than many stores across AUS to rationalise such a price increase. Thats my take on it hahaha

ihavetoomuchminis
14-02-2012, 09:57
Only discounted GW models, but never ever finecast.

Foxtrick
14-02-2012, 10:20
I wish the GW hobby shop prices were not so expensive and probably more importantly were not undercut by online retailers such as Wayland games.

For someone starting out and aware of budget, it makes it hard to go into a GW store and give them my business and not 'waste their time' or feel like I am. :(

eldargal
14-02-2012, 10:45
I buy a lot from GW and a lot from other companies. The precise ratio varies depending on what GW releases, there are a lot of armies I've no interest in. Generally the rank and file are exclusively GW as I can't find much else that meets my standards on an aesthetic level. AoW may change that with their new Warcast stuff if they do something more interesting (to me) than Chaos Warriors next time.

GW policy has little to do with my purchases.

Gromdal
14-02-2012, 12:22
I have not bought any warhammer aside from books since 7th edition. When reading this topic i get concerned though. I am planning to build and buy a whole new dwarf army if the new book for them is to my taste. All GW models, but reading here im worried that it will be hard to assemble. Im a lazy git and i do not like to glue stuffs. I want it to be simple to assemble, but is the new finecast a hassle to assemble? I remeber the starting kit in 5th with bret knights in plastic. Awesome and simple to put together.

Von Wibble
14-02-2012, 12:27
I only buy GW models, although I have started looking for cheaper places to buy them more and more.

Whenever I have seen alternatives, either a) I didn't like them or b) they cost about the same anyway, and it wouldn't be worth it as they would be slightly out of place with the rest of the army.

Plus, as I now have a job and plenty of disposable income, compared to when I was a teenager with barely anything, I can afford it, and the models in general seem to get better and better.

Gloryseeker
14-02-2012, 12:27
I use GW models but don't get them from GW. eBay and discount online stores are the way forward.

Scythe
14-02-2012, 14:56
I am buying less models in general, but the main reason for that is because I am trying to catch up in the painting department after a backlog of years. But I still buy primary from GW, mainly for aesthetic reasons; I mainly buy things based on how they look, and GW makes some damn good models. More and more models from other manufacturers are finding their way to me though; there is some great stuff out there. The internet has really made the world smaller in the last few decades, and I like how it gives talented sculptors a platform to sell their often brilliant models to the world. Something like that would have been difficult, if not impossible, 20 years ago.

Durloth
14-02-2012, 15:08
I have always bought models from several other companies, even though the majority of my minis are from GW. Finecast haven't had any effect on my buying behavior. That said, I for one would love if all my old metal minis were magically transformed into finecast...

popisdead
14-02-2012, 23:18
I have started buying mostly just classic models off eBay.

If The Watcher LotR model wasn't double what it should cost I would have bought one. At the price it is, I've not bothered. Mostly I've stopped sadly buying GW at the price point. Of course when they re-do Wood Elves I'll buy the new stuff and not care.

It's made me only focus on my main army and not bother with additional ones unless i can get the models through a trade.

zak
15-02-2012, 02:04
I buy from my local shop (indie) as I get a discount and always GW models. Like others I just haven't seen anything else out that matches GW for quality and I am thankfully in the position where cost isn't the main issue. I seem to differ to others as personally I don't like the Mantic range, although I do admit to making a rare purchase from Avatars of War for character models.

Scaryscarymushroom
15-02-2012, 02:46
I voted for "I have started buying increasingly more non GW models."

I'm with Loveless. I like creating GW armies, but I'm completely open to purchasing from other companies and my collection has seen a greater ratio of Non-GW models to GW models. Nowadays, I look for detail/quality and character first (GW has this in most cases); decent prices second (GW has this in about 20-30% of their products that meet the first criteria); and utility third. I'm not much of a gamer... so an important aspect of model purchasing for me is how good the model will look on display. I'm probably not much of a gamer because I just haven't found a good game that I can easily play with my friends. GW's strongpoint is not their rules. When I do play games, however, I like to be able to use a suitable set of great looking miniatures (not necessarily the "correct" manufacturer) to play a game.

For example, if I want some dudes with one-handed weapons and shields, I can have 10 of those because there are 10 in my collection. It doesn't matter if they're chaos warriors or exemplar cinerators.

As far as GW models are concerned; I have most of what I'm interested in.

That being said, they've had several astounding releases and I really want some of the new stuff. If I found a random GW giftcard for $1,000 I could spend it in a heartbeat but that doesn't mean I don't want other things from other companies even more.

Gwyddyon
15-02-2012, 02:51
I play two human armies and tend to think that GW's humans (and elves) are pretty atrocious most of the time. I'm not a big fan of heroic scale to begin with, but when I try to make myself buy monkey-faced men carrying halberds the size of their own torsos I just can't do it. Non-GW all the way for that. But for non-humans I don't mind GW. The prices still suck, and the company comes off like a handful of sculptors surrounded by hundreds of **********, but the Skaven and Beastmen sculpts are mostly really, really nice. But since I play mostly humans, I typically avoid GW.

Gorbad Ironclaw
15-02-2012, 08:19
I think the only GW models I've bought in the last couple of years is a box of Marauders to make a Blood Bowl team out of. It's a combination of several things really. I don't like many of the new models GW put out, they are just not to my taste any more. Combined with no desire to embark on projects the size of GW armies (especially Warhammer armies) or even refurbish the armies I do have means there is very little reason to buy anything from them. If I am buying miniatures it will be for small skirmish games or the 6mm Warmaster Historical I'm eyeing up. So yeah, virtually no purchases from GW.

cyphertheory
15-02-2012, 09:21
With my already established High elves, I cant find anything that will fit the athsetic of GW's elves so continue to buy from GW. of course if there were a cheaper alternative then I would consider changing over, but I struggle to find anything of a similar quality. My time is divided roughly 80% painting and 20% gaming, so looks are mostly why I buy GW

Mantic for me started off with promise, but I'm not sure if they are really living up to what I would like to see them produce.

Oogie boogie boss
15-02-2012, 09:42
As much as i dislike the increase in price, i still buy pretty much only GW models. The only exception is my SO Big Boss, for which i use an Avatars Of War Orc Bezerker model, as it's awesome and GW don't do any combat SO character models.

Belakor
15-02-2012, 09:57
For Warhammer GW only - but sometimes I slip in an Avatars of War mini here and there.

Planning to game Legends of the old West so that will be exclusively Wargames Foundry minis.

VenomBlood
15-02-2012, 10:08
I voted for GW only. The only exception in behaviour is that now I prefer vintage oop stuff over most new releases.

ChrisIronBrow
15-02-2012, 10:23
I no longer purchase GW miniatures. Their competitors now get my money.

DaHobgoblin
15-02-2012, 11:12
Hmm I have noticed my buying patterns change but this isn't reflected in your poll. How about, Do you buy less now and concentrate on painting up what you have, or are you buying more from ebay and less from the actual stores... I'd be a clear yes to both of those and it is a direct result of price increases. The cost of individual monsters or characters looks a lot but the real pain comes in the units. I see a box of orc boys is now 18 for 10 or so. This is crazy talk, a decent orc unit is 25+ unless you are playing 1000pts or less. and in 8th units of 50+ are not uncommon. 50 Orcs is the best part of 100!

Belakor
15-02-2012, 12:00
I no longer purchase GW miniatures. Their competitors now get my money.

And no doubt, you only play their superior games as well...

mrtn
15-02-2012, 14:47
I haven't bought a new GW model in two years time. I've also reduced my spending on other models, both new and used, since I still have a lot of old stuff wanting paint. So these days I mostly buy books and hobby supplies.

Hawthorne
15-02-2012, 15:53
I buy strictly GW models for GW stuff.
Part is because the quality is always increasing and is in the amazing range even the models for armies I don't like are tempting (here's looking at you Minotaurs and most of the new VC stuff).
Finecast I really like. I never like painting metal (even after priming, on my eyes it's harder to differentiate the details) but maybe that's just me, but more importantly it doesn't require pinning (usually) and doesn't fall appart every three seconds...plus the weight (I can have my finecast stuff in the middle of a transport tray without any risk when pulling stuff out).

Also I do it for ethical..ish reasons. I participate in smaller tournaments where the prize-support is 100% GW supported (no entry fee or store input), and even though I don't win often I do feel that if GW is going to be giving me prize support, and rules with which to use these models I should support them as well (kind of like buying stuff from a FLGS even if it's a little more expensive than online because I'm using their tables and what not)

lordfeint
15-02-2012, 18:30
I sometimes buy Avatar of War minis.
The Slayer unit is just beyond amazing.
Now if GW would take their hands out of their rear-ends and actually MAKE some plastic dwarf slayers, hammerers, IBs, etc. I wouldn't have even thought to have bought these guys, awesome though they may be, because I actually like to have my entire armies for the game I'm playing actually be said game's models.

But GW just doesn't want the money I suppose.

Of all the games I play, FoW, Infinity, etc. WFB is the only minis game that I own several models not from the line.

Well, my 40k Orks have a slew of toys and stuff added to their vehicles and gear, but no full model is a non-GW product.

Jericho
15-02-2012, 18:37
None of the above really fit my buying behavior.

Simply put, starting any new project from scratch is basically out of the question these days. Too much damn money for the most part.

I still buy most of the books and scenery releases, albeit from a local retailer that I get a good deal from. I find myself buying a crapload more Forgeworld minis (some old school Marines + Tamurkhan and a few Fantasy minis that caught my eye) than regular GW these days... which says something about the price model.

My big project that I slowly work on for Fantasy is an all-metal Dwarf army from the 80's and early 90's... all the poofy Empire style ones with tons of detail and character. The plastic Dwarfs are so very "meh".

lordfeint
15-02-2012, 19:41
The plastic Dwarfs are so very "meh".

I agree almost 100% with this sentiment!
The Warriors and Thunderers aren't terrible, and the Cannon/OG came out really nice. (can't say the same for the crew)
But the plastic Miners are just atrocious.

When the new Dwarf book comes out I'd like to see a re-do of all the plastics, plus add in some Slayers, Hammerers and IBs.

The IBs are the only figures in metal that I can't stand the looks of. Must be those god-awful beards that half of them have.

Also I agree that the pricing is just ludicrous for some of the current stuff.

5 RESIN Blood Knights for $100 being a benchmark in marketing fail.

Plexi
15-02-2012, 19:49
I don't feel that GW makes the best minis anymore so I don't buy their minis exclusively. If they used the same style of scupts that they do for their LotR line then I might think about it, but anymore when I see their new releases I think "World of Warhammer". One word comes to mind... Skulls.
Finecast is a joke. I have yet to get a finecast model that didn't require twice as much time to put together as its metal counterpart. Twice as long to clean and waaaay more gap filling.
Price of GW products is out of control. If the game didn't require as many miniatures, like hordes or malifaux, there would be a lot less griping from people about it.

These are the three things that combine to force me to only buy GW products when there is no alternative, and even then I won't pay retail pricing. I buy online at as deep a discount as I can get. This may be an unpopular idea with the faithful, but I've done my stint as a fanboy, then there were Spider-Man clones and Jar-Jar Binks.

Crazy Harborc
15-02-2012, 20:19
I voted I avoid GW models wherever possible....make that "GW products". Way to many good quality minies that are a better value for my money. Plenty of rules available. No "known" opponents doing GW rules/minies wargaming anymore. But then historical and fantasy wargaming has been around before, during, and after GW came to town and left town.

Grocklock
15-02-2012, 20:38

I agree with this statment, achually i buy only GW, models i find while the other companies do good models, they are either models i don't like, don't fit my theme or too pricy, for what you get.

I did buy some mantic models and for the price i paid they where just rubbish. But i suppose if you shop in the retail equivalent of LIDAL's expect bad product.

Beastlord
15-02-2012, 20:58
And no doubt, you only play their superior games as well...

This is wrong then?

My relationship with GW is not really covered by the poll... I went off GW in a big way towards the end of sixth ed - escalating prices and, IMO, a severe drop in sculpt quality sent me into the arms of the boutique mini companies. My Hordes of Chaos army is at least 50% comprised of Heresy miniatures stuff which I absolutely love. I got into D&D and Confrontation and in the last 5 years have spent all my hobby money at places like Hasslefree, Heresy, Red Box, and Spyglass. Then they brought out the new Screaming bell. This event was completely pivotal in getting me back into GW products (I never stopped playing WHF). I have found that, overall, sculpt quality has improved hugely in the last few years, (with a few notable exceptions), however I very rarely buy GW products from GW because their prices are utterly laughable. Of my recently assembled 5000 point Skaven army only the Bell was bought from GW. Everything else is from e-bay and cost me a maximum of 50% of the RRP. Because frankly I think they're taking the ****.

So in summary - I buy more GW these days, but not from GW.

WarmbloodedLizard
15-02-2012, 22:03
I have my 2 armies and don't intend to buy anymore stuff until the game is more interesting again. Don't really like the direction of the new army books and core rules, and ridiculously hight prices don't really help.

If prices were more reasonable or the rules were not as bad I might still be buying. GW just shouldn't get away with mediocre rules, ridiculous prices, stupid policies, and an alround bad image.

I still play the game (though I've come to prefer warmahordes) but GW doesn't get my money anymore.

Doommasters
15-02-2012, 22:50
I have my 2 armies and don't intend to buy anymore stuff until the game is more interesting again. Don't really like the direction of the new army books and core rules, and ridiculously hight prices don't really help.

If prices were more reasonable or the rules were not as bad I might still be buying. GW just shouldn't get away with mediocre rules, ridiculous prices, stupid policies, and an alround bad image.

I still play the game (though I've come to prefer warmahordes) but GW doesn't get my money anymore.

There are some things about 8th that are annoying but overall it is much better, and the new books being closer in power level is fantastic..........this is comming from a WE player!