PDA

View Full Version : Son is starting a Necron Army (any advice)

MasterValrik
14-02-2012, 05:17
My son is part of what is bring me back to 40k after 4 year break. His birthday is in two weeks and wants to start a Tau army or a Necron army, I havent played against Tau and know very little. I have 1 game against Necrons but do not know alot about them. I would like to get him a nice starting size army maybe 750 points, what should I start with. I know each of the armies need an HQ and 2 Troop types. Just looking for pro's and cons. My son is 15 and has only 1 40k game under his belt in where he played Marines in December vs Genstelers. Thanks for reading and thanks for any ideas.

Grimdesign
14-02-2012, 05:42
My son is part of what is bring me back to 40k after 4 year break. His birthday is in two weeks and wants to start a Tau army or a Necron army, I havent played against Tau and know very little. I have 1 game against Necrons but do not know alot about them. I would like to get him a nice starting size army maybe 750 points, what should I start with. I know each of the armies need an HQ and 2 Troop types. Just looking for pro's and cons. My son is 15 and has only 1 40k game under his belt in where he played Marines in December vs Genstelers. Thanks for reading and thanks for any ideas.

Tau are in a rough spot currently, being the (?) oldest codex yet to be updated. That being said, rumor has it that the Tau will be updated sometime this year but who knows how far off that is. Tau are a ranged army who are weak in melee combat. If your son wants to start with Tau, the Battleforce is his best bet, it comes with the hq/2 troop minimum already. Right now the Tau are up in the air, starting early will give him a leg up in the collection process once they get updated but their general power level might leave him with something to be desired.

I myself am a Necron player, while they are a shooter army, they lack the range that the Tau have and are also susceptible in melee combat, the difference lies in the resiliency of their units, who can resurrect and have gauss weapons capable of dinging tanks on a 6. So in summation:

Tau:
+super shooty
+superior range
+moble
+Railguns
+sweet suits
possible upcoming update
-below the power curve
-weak in melee
-some of the HQ choices make your army weaker

Necron:
+solid stat line
+strong troop choices
+resilient
+synergy
+gauss
modest range
-expensive Elite slots
-low initiative
-weak in melee

Charistoph
14-02-2012, 05:48
Advice for Tau... Besides "Wait", I take it?

For a starting force, the basic Battleforce has the minimum you need to field a Tau force, and good options, too (for Tau). 2 Troops (1 of each type), a Crisis Suit which can easily be a Commander, a useful transport, and an annoying Elite choice.

Expansion from here can take many forms, including another Battleforce, more Crisis Suits (including a Commander), Hammerheads (purchased in Sky Ray boxes), and Broadsides, adding more Kroot, Kroot Hounds, and Fire Warriors to taste or for flexibility. Pathfinders and Piranha are also good options to consider when building the Cadre.

Units to avoid are: the Special Characters, while cool, most are just not worth the annoyances that they come with; Ethereals, robe-wearing priests with a "Shoot Me to Make My Army Run" sign on him; Sniper Gun Drones, if you really want Rail Rifles, Pathfinders are a better option in most cases; Vespid, these would be great if their gun wasn't such a short range or they did better in Assault; Sky Rays, yes, I said get the box for the flexibility, but Railguns are too important NOT to field in most cases. While it is possible to run these units effectively, they really should only be considered in specific circumstances with greater experience in the game and the army.

MasterValrik
14-02-2012, 07:01
So is there a rumor that Tau might be on the way out? or is it just that they havent been redone like some of the other armies?

Grimdesign
14-02-2012, 07:04
being updated, but as to when is a mystery.

MasterValrik
14-02-2012, 07:14
being updated, but as to when is a mystery.

Cool, thanks for the info guys, Ill pass it along to him and see which one he wants to run with.

danra
14-02-2012, 07:16
You could check out some of the forge world stuff for some more Tau based goodness

Darnok
14-02-2012, 07:18
You should ask him what he wants. After all it is him putting time and effort into the models.

Necrons have the huge Pro of a new codex and a new range (soon to be expanded with more new models). Tau do lack that, and won't be redone for some time - current estimate for their next codex is 2013. But apart from that it comes down to visual preferences in my opinion. Tau and Necrons are both pretty shooty with little CC abilities. But due to their new book Necrons have a lot of toys to play with, again Tau lack in that department.

Droma
14-02-2012, 09:36
A lot of the new necron models are also very cool looking. They'll also have a new battleforce out at the end of the month or sometime in March that seems like it will be a very good value.

MasterValrik
14-02-2012, 09:41
You should ask him what he wants. After all it is him putting time and effort into the models.

Necrons have the huge Pro of a new codex and a new range (soon to be expanded with more new models). Tau do lack that, and won't be redone for some time - current estimate for their next codex is 2013. But apart from that it comes down to visual preferences in my opinion. Tau and Necrons are both pretty shooty with little CC abilities. But due to their new book Necrons have a lot of toys to play with, again Tau lack in that department.

Well he said he wanted either one or the other, its more like he wants to be surprised, (I think its so he can blame me when he plays with the army for a few months, and comes back and says u should got the other one, lol) hence the reason I am asking here. With the Necrons having more out may lead that way, or then again may just take him to the gaming store had him cash and say buy what you will.

KingDeath
14-02-2012, 10:18

And the great Etheral in heaven saieth, thou shall despise the lowly firewarrior for he is expensive, fragile, mediocre at shooting ( oh yes, the pulserifle is nice but BS3 combined with the high cost...), will evaporate in close combat and therefore only good to make his Devilfish scoring!
But the Crisis suit thou shall honour! Buy many of them ( cheap, nice dakka, relatively resilent, mobile ) to destroy those who stand against the greater good!
The Broadside and Hammerheads (mwhahahahahha, ap1 str 10 ) shall be bought as well, for they will bring death and damnation to heavy armour and light infantry ( in the case of the Hammerhead at least ) alike.
The Kroot allies (cheap, okish shooting for their price, okish in cc but NOT real assault troops ), ever faithful, will not tire to act as your meatshields, so honour them greatly.

So basicaly, at least 3 Crisis suits ( for the 750 points that is, more are almost always better ) the mandatory firewarrior squad + Devilfish, Broadsides and or Hammerheads, Kroot + Kroothounds. Your main firepower will come from the various suits you have so do not neglete to buy them.

Dreadlordpaul
14-02-2012, 11:01
tbh if he wants a fast moving shooty army dark eldar might be a good idea for him they have a great book and great models to top it off

Darnok
14-02-2012, 11:03
tbh if he wants a fast moving shooty army dark eldar might be a good idea for him they have a great book and great models to top it off

Since he didn't ask for fast moving shooters, and as DE aren't exactly beginner-friendly, that's not a good advice.

MasterValrik
14-02-2012, 12:01
Well, just took him to school, and we talked the entire, 20 minutes on the subject, and he finally said he would rather have Necrons, so with that, ill try to change the title, but someone said there may be a Battleforce of Necrons coming out, anyone know what it will have?

Disclaimer: Necron players help me if I'm off base. But i am thinking of getting him.

Codex Necron
Necron Lord
2 Boxs Warriors
Box of Immortals

Or depending on what's in BF box and when it will hit. Again any help would be great thanks a bunch.
Ps on my phone so sorry if misspelled or it is off, lol.

MagicHat
14-02-2012, 12:32
There is a battleforce being released the 25th.
It contains 20 warriors, 5 Immortals/Deathmarks, 5 scarab swarms and a Ghost/Doomsday Ark. Should be around the same cost as any other battleforce.
2 troop choices, 1 fast attack and a transport for your warriors.
Add a barge for HQ and your set.

MasterValrik
14-02-2012, 19:37
Thanks to the mod who retitled this for me

Darnok
14-02-2012, 19:44
No problem.

I second the notion of Codex + Battleforce + Commandbarge. A solid start, and some things he can try with what he got - before getting more.

Georgebob
15-02-2012, 00:04
Necrons are a great choice to get back into the game. They are quite beginner friendly being marines that can get back up after you kill them and they also benefit from having one of the newest if not the newest codex? Tau atm I find to be very boring gunlines that setup along the back table edge and shoot you for 6 turns and surrender when you get in close combat.

KeyOfTwilight
15-02-2012, 00:04
Barges. You can NEVER have too many barges. In the games I played with my necrons, and what I saw other people doing, the twin-linked Tesla destructor was a beast on the board. Even in small games for a league, one guy had like, 3 in one game. The ability to constantly put out 4 shots with the tesla rule is amazing, and can kill even tanks if you're lucky. I know i've killed a few. Warriors are not bad either, they're your mainstay, and immortals are good, and can be made deathmarks which in my experience is a good idea. What Darnok said though, codex, barge, battlebox, and i'd say get him a standard lord.

Bonzai
15-02-2012, 00:17
My Two cents....

Necrons
The rumors are that a new battle force is on the way and should be announced this month. If memory serves, it will include a ghost ark, 20 warriors, 5 immortals/death marks, and some scarabs. This is a very nice starting force, and all he needs to get to start playing is a codex and an Overlord or named character. I would recomend an anhilliation/comand barge kit, and he should be off and running.

Necrons are a mid range shooty army. Some what more durable than average, but still very weak in assault. The new codex has added some odd gimmicks as well. They are waiting on a lot of models, but that can be a good thing as with the above mentioned models he can get his feet wet, and then decide what direction to go as more models come available.

Tau
The Tau battle force is one of the best bargains that GW still puts out. With it and a codex you can pretty much start playing right away. Any other purchases should probably be Crisis suits to start, and maybe a Crisis Commander, though the battle force does come with a suit that can count as one.

Play wise, Tau are a long range army that focuses more on quality of shots over quantity. They are best played with mobility. They are pretty dated, and should be getting a codex soon. So it won't hurt to get the battle force now before GW re-does it and takes out all the savings like they did with all the rest.

Both are fun armies. It really depends on which he preffers.