PDA

View Full Version : How to distinguish Termagaunt squads

severed001
15-02-2012, 19:37
Hello all!

I have recently been playing many games using 2+ Tervigons, and I absolutely love the unit!

However, once you have 4-5 squads of Termagaunts pooped out and running amok, it gets hard to remember which squad is where (seeing as they tend to get massed around my army).

Does anyone have a creative idea to tell them apart? My hope is to paint them all the same scheme to keep the army color scheme in tact, but use something (on or under their bases maybe?) to tell them apart game-to-game, since each game will have a different amount of each in a different amount of squads. :wtf:

Discuss!! :D

Lord Damocles
15-02-2012, 19:39
Variant patterning on chitin?

severed001
15-02-2012, 19:42
Variant patterning on chitin?

I was thinking about that, but since its a varying amount in a varying amount of squads in every game, I would need far more gaunts than I would ever likely field.

Thus why I ask, if there is any other creative solution, to save a few bucks :D

Bunnahabhain
15-02-2012, 19:59
To distinguish guard squads, I used details on bases - dropped ork bits, dropped guard bits, rubble, plants....

You can do enough different ones that you should be able to keep squads sorted.

Vampiric16
15-02-2012, 20:07
Chitin or base markers can be used to distinguish birthed units from the ones you already have in your list, but not really much you can do in terms of pre-separating termagants set aside for birthing. One idea is to have a selection of termagants with a marker on the base. These would serve as a 'sergeant', you place a different one with each new unit, and make a record on paper how many are in his unit, damages, etc.
For example:
Tervigon spawns 8 termagants. You put down 7 gaunts plus a marked gaunt. You make a note that 8 gaunts are in blue unit/unit alpha/unit one etc.
Tervigon spawns 14 termagants next turn. 13 gaunts go down along with another marked gaunt. Make a record as above.

By keeping a record of what happens to each unit in terms of damage, you can distinguish them even if they get mixed up in a combat because you'll know how many are supposed to be with each 'sergeant'. Hope that helps.

madival
15-02-2012, 20:18
Different directions of the models. My grey tide ork army does it. One squad faces left. The other right , another ahead, another turned around. You have enough options tonot have same squads facing in the same direction touching. Usual pattern is left ,right,left,right.

Ambience 327
15-02-2012, 20:51
Have a magnet on each base, and have a distinguishing feature for each base that can be attached to each - i.e. a certain color rock/crystal/plant, a certain type of dropped weapon (i.e. some get bolt pistols, others get laspistols) or a certain severed body part (some get hands, some get feet, some get heads), etc. When you roll up a unit of Gaunts, attach the distinguishing pieces to the bases.

Is it a lot of work? Sure. But it is less work, and less expense, than making sure you have enough to accommodate all the "birthed" squads with different paintjobs.

You could also use blue-tac to temporarily attach something if the magnets aren't doing it for you.

(Other ideas of things to attach via magnet/blue tac: small numbers (metal/plastic lettering for signs or small bits of scrap paper or laminated paper)

carldooley
15-02-2012, 20:56
get a length of yarn. tie a slip knot on each end (like you can see on bracelets or necklaces) and place it on the table around a unit. do it for each unit spawned. making it variable length is good considering that it can be enlarged or made smaller depending on the size of the squad, and you can make it smaller as the unit gets whittled down.

actually, considering that i don't put squad markings on my guard, I may well do something similar. :shifty:

Project2501
15-02-2012, 21:50
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?332661-Sorting-out-your-armies

Some other ideas that might help.

Cresistauead
15-02-2012, 22:18
Here's a really simple answer: make every squad face in the same direction so that no two adjacent squads are facing in same direction.

• there's virtually no effort involved

• it gives a clear idea of what's going on

• it makes the gaunts look like they were moving in a shoal like fish

• it's good enough for lazy buggers ;)

ColShaw
15-02-2012, 22:19
For my IG infantry platoons (similar problem, except I can't make more during the game!) I use Roman numerals in different colors painted on the backs of the bases.

Draconis
15-02-2012, 22:21
One of our players puts a different colored dot on each of his squads so they can still look the same. He places them on the back of the base so only he can see it while his opponent only see's the model.

Beppo1234
15-02-2012, 23:37
basing: There are a million shades of static grass and clump foliage out there. Using three shades of each material, you can come up with nine unique basing schemes that will keep your army looking cohesive, but still allow you to determine which model belongs to which squad.

MajorWesJanson
15-02-2012, 23:44
Pick one of the ridges on the head and paint it a certain color. Make say 7-8 groups with different colors, of varying sizes. Say 2 groups of 8 models of the same color, 4 groups of 12 models of the same color, 2 groups of 18 with the same color.
Average spawn size is 11ish, so you will have more models ready to cover that size, while the groups of 8 and 18 allow you to cover small and large spawns as needed.

severed001
15-02-2012, 23:53
Thanks for the replies!!

Have a magnet on each base, and have a distinguishing feature for each base that can be attached to each - i.e. a certain color rock/crystal/plant, a certain type of dropped weapon (i.e. some get bolt pistols, others get laspistols) or a certain severed body part (some get hands, some get feet, some get heads), etc. When you roll up a unit of Gaunts, attach the distinguishing pieces to the bases.

Is it a lot of work? Sure. But it is less work, and less expense, than making sure you have enough to accommodate all the "birthed" squads with different paintjobs.

You could also use blue-tac to temporarily attach something if the magnets aren't doing it for you.

(Other ideas of things to attach via magnet/blue tac: small numbers (metal/plastic lettering for signs or small bits of scrap paper or laminated paper)

I like it! In the long run, I think this is what I think would make the army really cool and customized. Finding the time to do this for close to 100 is what's killing me though.

Eventually! Until then, I'll probably just turn them to the side to distinguish between the separate squads.

Keep the ideas rolling! I like what I see ^^

big squig
16-02-2012, 01:47
I had a friend who used to slightly base his squads differently. One squad would have no rocks on their bases, the next would have one rock, the next a small pile of rocks, the next two small piles of rocks, and then the last had nothing but rocks.

Dr.Clock
16-02-2012, 05:07
I'd probably look into something like a wax pencil to mark the squads as you put them on...

This way, the markings can get rubbed off as models are removed, and they're ready for a new spawning immediately.

A simple search shows that you can get a set with 7 colours for about 16$. Just keep a paper towel handy, and the markings are gone when you need them to be.

I'd make sure to go down to an art supply shop and make sure the wax adheres well first, though... just to make sure you don't waste money (although I figure money spent on art supplies is never wasted).

On a slightly unrelated note: if the wax pencils are of decent quality, you could also use them for masking paint techniques, covering up one colour to overpaint your 'nids in awesome lizard/insect patterns.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

-Loki-
16-02-2012, 09:24
The problem is, even playing the averages, you're always going to end up with units with mixed markings. Then the models might get recycled into another unit. Because of the varied size of the unit every time, it's simply not possible, without spending a lot of money, differentiating between the units.

I just go with the ideaof try not to get them mixed up. Try to keep them distinctly separate - like, even with the idea of keeping them out of coherency range of each other should do.

Roberkhan
16-02-2012, 09:44
I was thinking about that, but since its a varying amount in a varying amount of squads in every game, I would need far more gaunts than I would ever likely field.

Thus why I ask, if there is any other creative solution, to save a few bucks :D

Hmmm, got an idea:
1- Think five or six different feature. For example: darker skin, blue eyes, red eyes, grey claws, white claws, yellow claws, etc.
2- Divide your gaunts in max. minis per squad groups (is this 30 for gaunts, perhaps? If so, imagine we have 90 gaunts in total). Paint each of the groups with a different feature (e.g. darker skin, paler skin, skin shadowed in blue).
3- Take ten gaunts from each group and form with them a new 30 gaunts group. Paint them with another feature (yellow claws, grey claws, white claws).
4- Do it again (blue eyes, black eyes, red eyes).

Now, each gaunt can belong to three different groups. Just decide at the beginning of the game which features you are gonna use. E.g. One max. brood of 30 gaunts (dark skinned ones), two middle broods of 15 gaunts each (pale skinned and blue skinned ones, respectively. None of them blue eyed or yellow clawed) and some spare ones for tervigons' gaunt spamming: blue eyed ones and yellow clawed, none of them with dark skin. Iīm not sure if you could optimize it to use all your gaunts in each single game, but I would venture a cautious yes. :confused:
Anyway, you better take notes before the game ;)

Hope it helps!

susu.exp
16-02-2012, 10:00
Use the components from the Hormangaunt box to your advantage: That has the leaping bodies and larger ridges on the heads. This allows you to do 4 combinations that you can easily distinguish from the poses.
Something thatīs more elaborate would be to convert them for different post-natal stages. Check out how cows acts post birth for instance, how the calf starts to stand up, loses the fluid, etc. For additional gaming effort - but damn cool IMHO - always use the "just born" version for the units the Tervigons produce in the current round and replace the existing units with the next stage.

Sureshot05
16-02-2012, 11:33
I have painted black stripes on the back of my squads stands rims to mark them out as different where needed, without being too obvious and spoiling the models.

As mentioned above, some people have done some great work with different terrain theme for each units base, or subtley changing the markings on the head.

Also, adding glue and goo to make them "just born" would be a good technique and give you a way of distinguishing between the two sets.

Ambience 327
16-02-2012, 14:49
Why are so many of the posts in this thread suggestions for ways of permanently differentiating the models into distinct groups when the OP has clearly stated that he doesn't want to go that route as he doesn't want to have to own hundreds of them?

ReveredChaplainDrake
16-02-2012, 18:14
There are some slight differences in poses that you can take advantage of to denote squad differentiations. One I use is squads with tongues sticking out versus closed mouths.

Also, if you have any Spinegaunts, use them to note which of your squads already existed at the start of the game, or to note which were spawned, depending on how many Spinegaunts you have versus Termagants. The great thing about pants internal balance is that you would have to be an idiot to use Spinefists seriously anyway, so they make good unit-differentiating WYSIWYG until they get rewritten into something worth taking.

ColShaw
16-02-2012, 18:24
Why are so many of the posts in this thread suggestions for ways of permanently differentiating the models into distinct groups when the OP has clearly stated that he doesn't want to go that route as he doesn't want to have to own hundreds of them?

Probably because there is no good way of temporarily distinguishing them.

Polaria
16-02-2012, 19:11
Okay, how about this:

Drill a tiny hole through the lip of the base on every model. When I say 'tiny', I mean big enough for a pin to fit through, but no larger. Then go out into local office supplies shop and get a couple of hundred small pins with colored ends. Like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Standard_pin.jpg), but shorter. You can get packages which have three or even more colors in the same package and it has something like 100 pins in it. When you spawn a new squad, just put a same color pin in the base of every spawned model so that the colored head sticks out.

Deadly Cornbread
16-02-2012, 19:45
What I've always done is paint a handful of the share sides yellow or any other obvious color and use them as a "border" to one squad. So basically every other squad has a border unit of termagaunts.

Just my 2 cents

3 0f 6
17-02-2012, 08:21
I am thinking that I can use some of my 2nd edition termagants to represent spawned ones..... since the models may be smaller/look different but the base size is still the same and that is the consistent measurement used in movement, shooting, closecombat etc

You could take it a stage further and use one 2nd edition gant in each spawned squad, that would make spawned squads obvious. Differentiating spawned squads from each other would be more difficult though, maybe use a slight paint job change on each 2nd edition gant?

lantzkev
17-02-2012, 08:23
go to the hair aisle at like walmart or something and look for a bag of cheap hair bands. buy enough so you have 15 of every color. now simply wrap them around the base when they pop out.

stompy
17-02-2012, 11:33
Some blood bowl players use skill rings like these to mark out players with certain skills:

They're removable, so switching models from squad to squad wouldn't be an issue. However, the only place I've seen them for sale charges $2 for 8, so could get expensive depending on how many gaunts you have. You might be able to find a similar thing cheaper elsewhere, so might be worth considering.

ctsteel
17-02-2012, 23:00
I second the magnet idea (was going to post this myself if it hadn't been mentioned). The magnets can be glued underneath the base to avoid being visible on the top, and if they are decently strong rare earth ones a small metal or magnetised feature can be dropped on top with various colours etc and will still attract through the basing material.

I've seen small coloured wooden markers at games shops for use in board games, these could work as the top marker. The coloured pin idea is good too.

Baaltor
18-02-2012, 23:35
What I like to do with my combat squads for marines is paint each squad with a symbol, and have five marines with a variant of that symbol. Like a death's head on the shouldpad, and the other 5 blokes have a death's head with glowing red eyes.

ou coud do the same with gaunts, paint a squad with a colour and in that pack of say 30, make three patterns (like one with a diamond pattern on it's back, one who's whole back is covered, and one with a strip of colour) That let's you assemble the squad up to full size, make 2 clearly marked squads, or 3 clearly marked squads. And they don't vary too much.

I also do this for my daemons.

Buddha777
18-02-2012, 23:44
I'm curious myself. With the 4th edition codex I painted different squads tail tips different but with the new dex and tervigons, I've given up actually trying distinguish squads permanently.

Of course, I put them on the field then remove them often just as quickly for it to matter too much anyway.

SpeedFreek
19-02-2012, 00:00
Make or buy diffrently coloured plastic rings you can hang on their tails.
The red ones also work well as wound marker for the Tervigons.

MajorWesJanson
19-02-2012, 03:29
Some blood bowl players use skill rings like these to mark out players with certain skills:

They're removable, so switching models from squad to squad wouldn't be an issue. However, the only place I've seen them for sale charges $2 for 8, so could get expensive depending on how many gaunts you have. You might be able to find a similar thing cheaper elsewhere, so might be worth considering.

Those things seem perfect for spawned gaunts, while normal squads can use the different paint idea.

How many colors are there? and where do you order them from?

clangedinn
12-03-2012, 19:20
I started playing orcs green tide and had this issue very quickly lol. What i did was to take each unit and paint the ring around its base a different color, most being green till i ran out of green, so all of unit 1 has a dark green ring around its base, all of unit2 is a red ring around its base etc this way all i ahve to do is count colored bases when two or three units are pig piling something