PDA

View Full Version : Helpful warhammer apps

skirder
15-02-2012, 20:54
My friend and I are thinking about getting into the app market.

There are three different apps that we are intending to create:

Dice rolling (I know that they exist, but all of the ones that i have seen REALLY suck)
-would also include the ability to keep track of wounds/spells/other little things that need to be remembered

Stat calculators (not as big of a market, i know)

and, unrelated to warhammer (other than fluff) an indie reader app, to connect unknown authors with people who would love to read their work.
(if you are an unpublished author, you can pm me if you are interested)

I would like to know how many of you would be interested and would download these apps, how many of you would actually use them and how often, and how many think it's a waste of time.

We would like to make sure that the apps were really really high quality before releasing them.

If you have any ideas for features, please let us know.

Saethiel
15-02-2012, 21:16
All I want is an army builder app and an app for viewing magic spells/tracking which ones your wizards have.

Honestly I have a few dice apps, I never use them.

skirder
15-02-2012, 21:26
The tracking would be a part of the dice rolling app

Feefait
15-02-2012, 21:31
There's an app on the android market that allows you to calculate combats and even figure out percentages for charge success rates, potential wounds etc. I used it once or twice maybe just to figure it our but it was a bit unwieldy. I think on a tablet, with the bigger screen it might be much more useful. I use my smartphone for holding pdf's of armies from Army Builder, but would love an official app from them. I wouldn't use a dice roller as that physical context is a big part of the game for me. Let us know when you get something released as I know i would at least check it out.

skirder
15-02-2012, 21:55
we are just starting to research the market to see if it would be worth the time to develop it, so it won't have a demo for a while.

Echunia
15-02-2012, 22:49
Rolling dice on a phone just seems... ineffective? I don't think there's a market for that.

A good stats app thou, now that would be nice. Sure you can work out statistics after a while, but instant info is awesome!

skirder
16-02-2012, 00:25
since we are talking about having the stats and the tracking, would you want both in one app, or would you rather split them up?

thesheriff
16-02-2012, 00:31
Mathhammer 40k and Mathhammer fantasy are already on the market for Apple, but both are quite outdated.

I own both, and they are useful. Especially the ld Calculations. But, with basic things like "always hit on 6's" not included, it is very selective in its usefulness.

thesheriff

random600
16-02-2012, 01:16
I was looking at the statistics app for the android on my tablet, definatly made for a phone. If you made one that work on both i would be over joyed as i hate doing stats in my head. Always forgeting numbers and what not.

Echunia
16-02-2012, 07:45
since we are talking about having the stats and the tracking, would you want both in one app, or would you rather split them up?

Yeah! That would be really nice. Have an interface that tracks wounds and other stuff like spells and the like.

T10
16-02-2012, 08:37
I am fairly certain GW would object to third party making a profit off their intellectual property.

-T10

Echunia
16-02-2012, 14:36
I am fairly certain GW would object to third party making a profit off their intellectual property.

-T10

Well not really, you just need to setup an army builder esq-system. Where you sell the base tool and then release the files to use it for free.

boli
16-02-2012, 16:26
A simple database of spells/rules/units/magic items/weapons which is kept up to date with erata would be ideal tbh.

e.g. You look up "Rules, Steadfast"

If a defeated unit has more ranks than its enemy, it takes its break test on its unmodified Leadership.
In mulitple unit combat the defeated enemy must have more ranks than *all* of its opponants to count as steadfast.
Note: a disrupted unit has no ranks and therefore cannot be classed as steadfast.

You would try and make the most consise and correct rules possible quoting from the rulebook as much as possible (the BSB does waffle on somewhat :P) and include any corrections or tweaks from the Erata

very simple... but truefully very very handy - I mean dice rolling apps are useless; combat result calculators are needlessly complex and can be changed in a single moment by a maguical item or a spell; what never changes and you always need to look up: The rules; even if you have to clarify that halbards are twohanded.

Akkaryn
16-02-2012, 16:59
I think a "Battle Report" app would work, Where you can record what spells each wizard got, make notes on spells cast, winds of magic rolls, any combat other things. I keep meaning to do battle reports but always forget a majorly important part of the battle so never do it.

skirder
16-02-2012, 17:36
We can't do the errata/rules one. that is copyright infringement. the armybuilder we can do. We've looked into it and, if we word everything correctly, GW can't do anything to us. The stat/tracker will probably come after the army builder.

Echunia
17-02-2012, 08:19
We can't do the errata/rules one. that is copyright infringement. the armybuilder we can do. We've looked into it and, if we word everything correctly, GW can't do anything to us. The stat/tracker will probably come after the army builder.

Awesome! Let us know about your progress

ogretyrant
17-02-2012, 13:39
A simple database of spells/rules/units/magic items/weapons which is kept up to date with erata would be ideal tbh.

e.g. You look up "Rules, Steadfast"

If a defeated unit has more ranks than its enemy, it takes its break test on its unmodified Leadership.
In mulitple unit combat the defeated enemy must have more ranks than *all* of its opponants to count as steadfast.
Note: a disrupted unit has no ranks and therefore cannot be classed as steadfast.

You would try and make the most consise and correct rules possible quoting from the rulebook as much as possible (the BSB does waffle on somewhat :P) and include any corrections or tweaks from the Erata

very simple... but truefully very very handy - I mean dice rolling apps are useless; combat result calculators are needlessly complex and can be changed in a single moment by a maguical item or a spell; what never changes and you always need to look up: The rules; even if you have to clarify that halbards are twohanded.

+1 to this

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

skirder
17-02-2012, 17:08
unfortunately, gw would sue the hell out of us for using their copyrighted material (rules) to devalue their product. Names and point values with no stats, etc are not enough to be protected under copyright, so that we can legally use if we word everything right.

IcedCrow
17-02-2012, 20:51
Good luck. Names and point values can still get you in trouble. At least... you can expect a cease and desist. Whether or not there is any grounds to legally make you stop is another topic. I was where you are now back in 2003.

skirder
17-02-2012, 21:01
which is my point. if they say so, we will stop and then demand that they tell us under what law they are making us stop.

IcedCrow
17-02-2012, 21:16
From experience, they won't tell you anything. You'll just get a letter or other form of communication saying stop or they'll sue you for infringing on their copyright. That'll be the extent of their communication with you.

Now whether or not they can get away with it will be up to you, but don't go into it expecting nothing to happen. This is why I develop my own apps under the radar and don't make them public.

skirder
17-02-2012, 21:18
I do expect it at some point, and we will have a large case built up beforehand.

IcedCrow
17-02-2012, 21:28
Rock it out.

txamil
17-02-2012, 21:58
Privateer Press is coming out with a pretty killer app for the 'other' games. I think GW will have to play catch up on this front.

skirder
18-02-2012, 18:56
would more of you use the stat/tracker if it were synced with a good army builder?