PDA

View Full Version : Gale Force 9 Magnetic Movement Trays

Corvus Corone
16-02-2012, 11:04
Anyone use these? If so, are they worth it/ any good?

They seem like an elegant solution to the whole 'oh no my unit is now on a slope, everyone spent too long in the officers mess last night...' scenario.

I have one specific question, regarding the 'rubber steel sheets' (http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/gale-force-9/magnetic-basing/mbs-rubber-steel-sheet-4-/prod_14175.html for example at Wayland store). Are these sheets of magnetic material that you use to line your movement tray? Or are they suitable to form the bottom of a movement tray by itself? Are they bendy and flexible or rigid and solid?

Thanks, just want to know what I'm buying before I do.

EDIT: I have another question; a standard small base (e.g. that used by a zombie or skeleton) in fantasy is a 20mm base, correct? The slightly bigger ones for ghouls and warriors of chaos is 25mm? And monstrous infantry have the 40mm base? I just want to make sure before I order any and unfortunately I'm away from my models until the weekend.

Purplenewt
16-02-2012, 11:34
Those sheets look like the same rubber steel sheets you can get from ebay for about 3 you get 2 a4 sized sheets, they are self adhesive and stick to a movement tray (not rigid enough to use without a tray.) they are not magnetised themselves but magnets will stick to them. I make up my own using cheap magnets and sheets off ebay, I can make trays for up to 150models for around 6.

Magnetised models/trays makes a massive difference and really helps speed up your games as everything is easier to move.

angelofrage
16-02-2012, 11:47
I bought their 20mm bases, but made my own tray with plasticard and magnetic sheets off ebay. While they won't hold on upside down, they do certainly help keeping the unit together and can be held on a slope ok.

Ravening Wh0re
16-02-2012, 15:22
OR you can cut out sheets from biscuit tins. They hold very well, even upside down. Just make sure the magnets are securely glued onto the bottom of the bases and be very careful when cutting the sheets

Confessor_Atol
16-02-2012, 15:38
Those sheets look like the same rubber steel sheets you can get from ebay for about 3 you get 2 a4 sized sheets, they are self adhesive and stick to a movement tray (not rigid enough to use without a tray.) they are not magnetised themselves but magnets will stick to them. I make up my own using cheap magnets and sheets off ebay, I can make trays for up to 150models for around 6.

Magnetised models/trays makes a massive difference and really helps speed up your games as everything is easier to move.

So I've totally ordered these sheets from GF9. They're great, then I tried to cheep out and get the a bunch from ebay. When the ebay stuff I ordered got here wasn't strong enough, to hold plastic models, even with an appropriately sized rare earth magnet
glued to the bottom. I totally use GF9 now because I know it works and I don't have time to mess with stuff that doesn't work.

OldMaster
16-02-2012, 23:14
So I've totally ordered these sheets from GF9. They're great, then I tried to cheep out and get the a bunch from ebay. When the ebay stuff I ordered got here wasn't strong enough, to hold plastic models, even with an appropriately sized rare earth magnet
glued to the bottom. I totally use GF9 now because I know it works and I don't have time to mess with stuff that doesn't work.

OMG! I'll be sure to use the Gale Force 9 magnetic trays now! I've always wanted those!

Chiron
16-02-2012, 23:41
GF9 mats are pretty good but the magnetic bases they sell are fairly weak, dont count on them holding down metal models.

I use 3x3x3 rare earth magnets for all my figures, stick em to the base and jobs a good un. Particularly heavy models and Cav get 2, one per corner.

RTGamer
17-02-2012, 01:09
@Chiron when you say 3x3x3 do you mean discs or squares and is it in mm?

bildo
17-02-2012, 08:34
the back to basix mdf ones are really good

Chiron
17-02-2012, 10:10
@Chiron when you say 3x3x3 do you mean discs or squares and is it in mm?

Its mm squares, fit just right under the bases

Confessor_Atol
17-02-2012, 16:34
Its mm squares, fit just right under the bases

Yeah, I don't use the GF9 bases, just the magnet sheet then the rare earth magnets. You can get rare earth magnets from ebay or amazon for a reasonable price. Typically I can base a whole army for 20-25$.