PDA

View Full Version : Army builder app

skirder
16-02-2012, 21:36
My friend and i were goin to make a warhammer app and i posted a poll here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?333584-Helpful-warhammer-apps) to see what most people would want. It seems like more people want an army building app (which we weren't even thinking of at first) than anything else. would you use an armybuilding app for a phone/tablet if you didn't have to input a ton of data to set it up and it had a good interface?

Feorag
16-02-2012, 21:39
There used to be quite a good one but gw made them remove it. :-( was called army list creator.

jonthebetrayer
16-02-2012, 21:42
I would use it, but I would be worried that I would tinker with my army list too much :rolleyes:

skirder
16-02-2012, 21:44
we would look into the copyright law (already did a lot of it) and set it up in a way that gw couldn't do anything.

(the guy i'm doing it with is actually a writer that writes for gaming companies and has done a lot of work in which he'd need to know copyright stuff)

tmarichards
16-02-2012, 22:11
This has already been done I'm afraid with the Quartermaster app.

ogretyrant
16-02-2012, 22:48
This has already been done I'm afraid with the Quartermaster app.

Which is only avalible though itunes, so not avalible on the android system i'm afraid. So one that could work on that platform as well would be great!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Willheath
16-02-2012, 22:51
If the interface was good and iPad compatible I would definitely use an army builder app.

skirder
16-02-2012, 23:26
we're starting on android, for sure.

IcedCrow
16-02-2012, 23:33
My buddy uses one on his android. I'm not sure what it is though as I programmed my own. His lets him do a lot of things on the fly. We're interested in making one that is like the one Warmachine is releasing where you can synch up two mobile devices. I'm tinkering with that idea now. I have the synch to work but the shared data across different OS's has me stumped for the time being.

skirder
16-02-2012, 23:49
The ilist is the best i've found on the android market, and it really doesn't meet the standards we're setting.

simonbeard
17-02-2012, 00:41
This is the best news I've heard since 2010. I would LOVE an android army list creator. Currently I have to enter in all the values and relationships for units, magic items, rules, notes, etc. on my current one, and it takes longer than I care to spend.

cornixt
17-02-2012, 01:14
I've started using Battlescribe. A little awkward to use on my phone but much easier on the PC. it is cross-platform, so works on most devices including android, and you can use the same rosters on all of them.

skirder
17-02-2012, 02:51
We're also gonna make a stat/tracker app that will sync with the lists stored from this app, so that, if you use both, you will be able to automatically select your saved list and have all of your characters magic items/wounds/etc on a tracker.

RanaldLoec
17-02-2012, 11:02
My friend and i were goin to make a warhammer app and i posted a poll here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?333584-Helpful-warhammer-apps) to see what most people would want. It seems like more people want an army building app (which we weren't even thinking of at first) than anything else. would you use an armybuilding app for a phone/tablet if you didn't have to input a ton of data to set it up and it had a good interface?

I used the army creator app before GW did the copyright smackdown on the author.

I now use battlescribe which provides the frame work for list building but none of the content.

The users rely on independent websites to host lists to download into the app to avoid GW legal action.

The problem is as soon as GW legal gets wind of a site hosting anything infringing on its copyright it gets the content removed. finding an army build app is easy finding up to date content is the hard part.

skirder
17-02-2012, 17:10
as long as it's just names (2-3 words) and the points, then it's not enough for copyright infringement.

Tarliyn
17-02-2012, 17:35
I would love one if it would work on my nook tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theunwantedbeing
17-02-2012, 18:14
as long as it's just names (2-3 words) and the points, then it's not enough for copyright infringement.

Also it prevents people from using it as a tool for rules.
Which is something people use armybuilder for all the time sadly....

RanaldLoec
17-02-2012, 18:18

Goodluck with it I hope your right but GW has been rather ruthless with tackling any IP issues no matter how small or slight.

Its rather frustrating having to hunt down xml files for the new books.

skirder
17-02-2012, 18:30
they have been, but it's more of a threat than an actual legal thing. small guys get scared when they actually aren't violating copyright. our app would be impossible to use correctly if you didn't already have the codex or the codex knowledge in your head. thus it would be common knowledge in the niche market that would be using the app.

RanaldLoec
17-02-2012, 18:44
Cool if you need any beta testers sign me up.

ZigZagMan
17-02-2012, 18:50
what are the chances of making a program that can read existing army creation tool files. Especially from a certain well known army builder program (ie army builder). lone wolf does not own the army roster files, by definition they can not without violating copyright. So what can they do about you using said files? This would create a ready made source of regularly updated files.

scarletsquig
17-02-2012, 18:59
Another vote for Battlescribe here. I even make files for it (not for any GW games though).

Finding the datafiles for it is not difficult. 5 seconds of google will get you everything you need.

meltedwing
17-02-2012, 19:19
I don't use army builder apps and programs because they are always wrong at some point or another, and the last thing I want to do is get cheated or cheat someone because my list is not valid.

skirder
17-02-2012, 20:31
I'd be in charge of setting up the data files. I would want to make sure that they were 100% accurate before releasing them.

Durloth
17-02-2012, 21:48
This is the best news I've heard since 2010. I would LOVE an android army list creator. Currently I have to enter in all the values and relationships for units, magic items, rules, notes, etc. on my current one, and it takes longer than I care to spend.

This is it. I've downloaded Battlescribe and a couple of others, but they all demand so much work, I feel it's better to just use pen and paper or wait till I'm at my computer and can use Army Builder. A better and more user friendly app would be much appreciated and I for one would not mind paying premium for one.

ElBeaver
17-02-2012, 23:27
I use my own army builder app. It allows me to put a list together in a few minutes and easily tweak it as it will automatically keep track of points cost. Send me an email if you want to try it out (Android only).
It still needs a good amount of work, and only have datafiles for WoC and a few units from O&G and DoC.

tentfox
18-02-2012, 13:04
Why not make something web based so you could use on all mobile and desktop?

skirder
18-02-2012, 19:01
we would definitely have a supporting website, but for the interface we definitely want an app. makes everything look much better.

simonbeard
21-02-2012, 20:39
Cool if you need any beta testers sign me up.

I totally second this.

black_numenorean
22-02-2012, 02:48
I use and love battlescribe - completely free and has everything i need.

Napalm
22-02-2012, 09:47
It would be great.
I've bought an android tablet, it's powerful & reactive but it is definitively missing some "hobby" content.
Right now I use my own excel spreadsheets, containing names, values, options... It's a bit primitive but works well, and I added a column with painted status so I can see what to paint in the next month too.
But excel in touch-screen isn't the best.

ElBeaver
23-02-2012, 00:02
It would be great.
I've bought an android tablet, it's powerful & reactive but it is definitively missing some "hobby" content.
Right now I use my own excel spreadsheets, containing names, values, options... It's a bit primitive but works well, and I added a column with painted status so I can see what to paint in the next month too.
But excel in touch-screen isn't the best.

The app I have developed looks fine on my Android tablet ;-)

Antwon11
23-02-2012, 22:06
yeh me too, definately need a good android app for my lists.

Worship
24-02-2012, 16:29
Estimated release date? :)

Captain Collius
24-02-2012, 18:28
please do this my armylist for fantasy would be so much easier with this

skirder
25-02-2012, 20:48
We're definitely going forward with it and will be starting it soon. We've finished most of our market/copyright research as well as getting most of the art ready. I don't know when it will be released, because we both have normal jobs as well. How would you guys suggest we get the word out to players in order to get the app into their hands?

IcedCrow
25-02-2012, 21:09
I would suggest finishing it and having a working product first. That would go a long way.

Engekomkommer
25-02-2012, 22:48
I used iBodger on my android phone all the time. And I mean ALL the time. Anything as good as that for fantasy/40k i'd consider buying.

The Low King
25-02-2012, 22:54
How would you guys suggest we get the word out to players in order to get the app into their hands?

Get people on warseer/other forums to use it. If they like it they will spread it to peopl they know/other forums. They it will expand through word of mouth to everyone else. (warhammer is close nit enough for that to work)

So key thing is to make something we will like :D

skirder
26-02-2012, 06:30
well, we definitely aren't releasing ANYTHING that i wouldn't use. I'm more in charge of the interface design/art/marketing/rule side, while he who does not play warhammer (my roommate) is doing 90%+ of the coding. I'm trying to plan ahead so that i have enough ready to go while he codes. Then I'll add the data, make sure it's perfect. Test it and let some podcasts or whatnot test it, fix any issues, and release while spreading the word.

cornixt
27-02-2012, 01:25
I look forward to seeing yet another army roster maker app. The amount of competition should keep everyone of their toes!

skirder
28-02-2012, 21:12
so, we are officially starting to produce it this week. getting together all of the art and starting the code. once that is done i just need to add the data packs, and bam! done. depending on how much free time we have it might be done by summer, possibly fall, and probably winter