PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Doomlord!

Eternus
17-02-2012, 16:27
Return of the Doomlord. That was the name of the battle report that started me off collecting Fantasy, waaaay back in White Dwarf issue 174 which was the....*quick count up of fingers and toes*.... June issue of 1994. It was the playing out of the Scenario from the then new 'Undead' army book. Gav Thorpe controlled the Undead army of the Manticore riding Doomlord of Middenheim, Dieter Helsnicht. He won.

So, now we can have a Master Necromancer again, how best could I represent the Doomlord Of Middenheim using the new book?

Mid'ean
17-02-2012, 17:32
A blast from the past. I still use the manticore in my SoM games...lol. Now I think the best way to represent him would be to put a necromancer on a Abyssal terror.

Sexiest_hero
17-02-2012, 18:45
I didnt think Abyssal terrors were in the new book.

Eternus
17-02-2012, 20:52
They are, and I was thinking the same. Maybe just using the original model with the Manticore as a 'counts as; Abyssal Terror. I just can't remember if a Master Necromancer can ride one. I think they can.

Kayosiv
17-02-2012, 21:06
Book's in front of me, they can. So can Vampire Lords for that matter. They are extremely underwhelming for their price but if you can get it into a unit that it can thunderstomp that doesn't have higher than strength 4 it could do alright.

T10
17-02-2012, 22:45
I remember playing that scenario. It was going great, then BAM! Dieter gets turned into an amethyst statue. Total collapse.

The Purlpe Sun was real bad news in those days: 3+ to kill /anything/!

Dr. Who
18-02-2012, 16:47
Return of the Doomlord. That was the name of the battle report that started me off collecting Fantasy, waaaay back in White Dwarf issue 174 which was the....*quick count up of fingers and toes*.... June issue of 1994. It was the playing out of the Scenario from the then new 'Undead' army book. Gav Thorpe controlled the Undead army of the Manticore riding Doomlord of Middenheim, Dieter Helsnicht. He won.

So, now we can have a Master Necromancer again, how best could I represent the Doomlord Of Middenheim using the new book?

Helsnicht had the Chaos Runesword and the Staff of Flaming Death in the 4th ed. Undead book and in the 5th ed. VC book he got a Power Scroll (roughly the same as Powerstone but suited for the magic card mechanic 5th ed. used) as well. He had access to Necromany or Dark Magic.

An 8th ed. Dieter Helsnicht could look something like this: Master Necromancer with lvl 4, Lore of the Vampires and Master of the Dead riding an Abyssal Terror with the Poisonous Tail upgrade. He carries the Rod of Flaming Death (Enchanted) and a Powerstone (arcane). He clocks in at a little over 400 points. There isn't really a magic weapon equivalent to the Chaos Runesword available - save perhaps for the Sword of Anti-heroes - but most wouldn't want him in protracted combats with other characters anyway. Alternatively there is just room for the Nightshroud or a 5+ ward save if you want some protection instead.

- Dr.