PDA

View Full Version : Most commonly seen conversion parts

abdulaapocolyps
17-02-2012, 19:19
Hi guys. I was just wondering if you have noticed that when people kitbash / convert some parts crop up all the time.
With this in mind, which part would you say is the most used in conversions that you've seen?
My vote goes to the Chaos Maurarder head with the big beard and his hair all blowing off to the side - You know the one. I swear that thing crops up everywhere... I'm guilty of using it myself - on a warrior priest.

vinush
17-02-2012, 23:45
The parts I most commonly use are the unhelmeted heads from the Bretonnian Knights kit, and the bare elf head from the HE spearmen kit. Occasionally I'll throw in the bare Eldar Guardian head...

THE \/ince

zoggin-eck
18-02-2012, 03:45
Ha, I did picture the marauder head when you said it. I've used it on a Chaos Marine, myself.

There's a head from the "hairy head sprue" used in the mordheim/free company/Empire knighs (White Wolves) boxes that shows up all the time, for marines, chaos, Cadian veterans and Catachans. Looks like a biker and I can't stand it. It really jumps out at me every time!

Duke Ramulots
18-02-2012, 04:47
I used a bunch of savage orc bows to make arrer boys with regular orc boyz.

Tayrod
18-02-2012, 16:18
I used a bunch of savage orc bows to make arrer boys with regular orc boyz.

me too, so I guess it qualifies

Marauder_chieftan
18-02-2012, 18:53
The chaos knight head. Yeah, you know the one. Don't look at me like that, you know the one i'm talking about.

http://battlemind.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/100_1159-knight.jpg

abdulaapocolyps
19-02-2012, 00:23
Ahh,the old tea strainer helm.it does seem to crop up on a lot of nurgle guys...
The empire general horse gets about too.

Trains_Get_Robbed
19-02-2012, 06:47
Dragon Princes painted red with V.C bitz = Blood Knights

Mallo
19-02-2012, 11:55
The cowering empire guy as well as the other gubbinz from the giant kit. There must be be hundreds of 'naked' giant's left in closets all across the gaming world!

defunct
19-02-2012, 12:57
Really good picks so far.

I've simply seen too many conversions based on the mounted Archaon model, I really can't stand it anymore. :D
For instance, the Bretonnian Collectors guide is in abundance of them.

Morkash
19-02-2012, 13:53
My vote goes to the Giant kit as well. No matter how you assemble it, there are still loads of bitz left and they are quite likely to show up later. :)

In my own collection the vote goes to Ogre bitz. Weapons for Orcs, and generally the flexibility the Ogre kits give you.

Bulldarka
19-02-2012, 14:58
HI
Now that you mention it, the head in question is a very common piece. I to have used it several times from chaos heroes, empire heroes and it has also appeared on several space marine conversions. Another head that is worth mentioning is the helmet from the knights errant figure that ressembles those helmets worn by the crusading knights. (if you clip the chain off at the back of it) I think that it really makes a striking conversion piece as it is very much understated compared to other helms, especially if it is going on to a character figure. What do you think?

brother_maynard
20-02-2012, 05:11
tyranid gargoyle wings, those things are everywhere

zoggin-eck
20-02-2012, 07:42
Ha, forgot all about Archaon's horse.

Same goes for the "running scared" guy from the giant kit. Doesn't help when Warhammer Forge use him as the "size comparison" model for big monsters :)

Dreadlordpaul
20-02-2012, 13:55
peg knights i use these for my vampire lord and vampire on hellsteed. However recently they have been used as pegasus's of tzeench which use the disc rules as i hate the official disc model

abdulaapocolyps
20-02-2012, 17:39
I'm currently using a poker chip as my disk,because the official one is awful...
Archaons horse does get about a bit,I'll grant you.
I forgot about one - the upper body of the empire knight champ,with helm under his arm and sword held high.
I think its interesting that a lot of the most common things end up being understated.I actual prefer the style of a lot of LOTR heroes because of it...

redfury
20-02-2012, 19:12
Zombie tomb stones. The skulls from the skeleton and corpse cart kit. I see empire free company kit bashed with zombies all the time.

mrtn
22-02-2012, 20:48
Both the banners from the old beastmen herd box turn up all over the place, both the four-horned skull and the banner with hanging skulls.

zoggin-eck
23-02-2012, 07:24
Both the banners from the old beastmen herd box turn up all over the place, both the four-horned skull and the banner with hanging skulls.

You've reminded me, the "four horned skull" is the minotaur one, half covered with flesh, right? I've seen that used in minotaur/rat ogre/troll conversions enough times. I bought a second hand metal river troll with it. Nice reminder of the regenerate rule :)

mrtn
23-02-2012, 19:51
Yes, it's half covered in flesh. Used as a face mask for loads of shamans as well. The good ones remove the spike sticking up out of the skull first...

mindrazor
23-02-2012, 20:49
what about the corpse cart? ive seen it been used as warshrine and chariot, and the bits is also wery popular