PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in plastic models?

Zephel
18-02-2012, 05:24
I go to a nearby gaming store and pick up a pack of archers and dragon princes for my new HE army. Get home excited to start cutting them off the sprues...and see this on EVERY set of leggings.

Has anyone seen this on plastic models before? I tried some forum searching and google searching and turned nothing up. My phoenix guard had it very lightly on the legs as well but after a base coat it won't be very noticeable. However on a smooth surface...that won't be the case I am thinking.

The bearded one
18-02-2012, 05:30
Congratulations, you are unique!

I have seen this before, though to a significantly lesser degree, and it was completely unnoticable after painting. I think you won't really see it anymore after painting with your models either, though I can't be completely sure as I can't 100% tell how bad the cracking is on the picture.

lbecks
18-02-2012, 05:38
I've had lines like that on some of my models.

Spectrar Ghost
18-02-2012, 06:18
I'm pretty sure it's a known problem on HE Archers; mine have it too. It shouldn't show after priming, but if you're worried, slap some thinned Liquid Green Stuff on it and sand it back flat.

scarletsquig
18-02-2012, 06:30
Yep, all the high elf archers I bought about 10 years ago had those lines on the legs. They did show after painting.

Seems like a damaged mould or not enough fill pressure or something.

Spectrar Ghost
18-02-2012, 06:35
It does show? I'm surprised. I have to admit that I've not painted up my HE archers yet; in fact I think they're in one of my divided plastic jewelry boxes, desprued but unassembled.

Zephel
18-02-2012, 06:59
Thanks for the info everyone. I may brave the liquid green stuff to be safe. I'll probably try priming one and see if it's very noticable and if so, will get some liquid green stuff to fill 'em in. :cool:

PS. Yeah my camera has some issues focusing on closeup shots...was the best I could get out of a dozen or so shots. Sorry I couldn't get a better detailed picture.

shelfunit.
18-02-2012, 08:15
As with FC - if the product is unsatifactory - take it back - replace/refund.

librerian_samae
18-02-2012, 10:40
Iv'e had that problem on a few kits, but it was unnoticeable after undercoating/painting, as said above though if you feel bad about them then return them.

stroller
18-02-2012, 18:11
Never seen that before. If you're not happy, take them back.

Born Again
19-02-2012, 06:18
I've seen that before, never been noticeable after painting. They were just coloured lines though, if you actually have a physical crack, then go the liquid green stuff route and it'll clear it right up.

Ozorik
19-02-2012, 23:47
If it is unsatisfactory always return it. Firstly you paid a lot of money for what is described as a premium product so it really should be and secondly the more returns a particular item gets the more likely that it is that the problem will be fixed.