PDA

View Full Version : So... the new Necron battleforce is out...

Cheeslord
20-02-2012, 14:07
The new Necron battleforce is out, and as before, it does not appear to containg a legal battle force, lacking any HQ choice. It doesn't affect me personally since I already have a Necron collection, but I just feel that some kid new to the hobby might be a tad dissappointed to get this for their borthday, put it together and go off and try and find a game, only to find out that they need more models to even have a legal force.

A CCB instead of Ark would have given them that plastic lord, which I would have thought better.

Just my opinion though;- what does everyone else think?

Mark.

Kurisu313
20-02-2012, 14:11
Battleforces don't have any HQs do they? Arguably the Imperial Guard one does, but the command squad is 'supposed' to be for a platoon.

Your argument makes no sense to me. Battleforces have always been a good value way to start an army, none have been 'an army in a box'.

belgarath97
20-02-2012, 14:14
Are you really that surprised? None of the battleforces or battalion boxes have ever included a HQ or general choice. It's not what they design these boxes to be.

vcassano
20-02-2012, 14:21
Yeah it would have made more sense for the Barge to be included - Necrons are one of the few armies where HQs can be included in the box. But oh well.

MagicHat
20-02-2012, 14:27
Tau can use their battlesuit as a Shas'o, IG have their command squad.
Nobody else gets a character, and I am fine with that, as it leaves you a choice of what HQ to use.
then again, Necrons only have two non-SC HQ, so a barge would not have been a bad idea.
Still, I think it is a fine battleforce. You have quite a bit of versaitlity with the box when it comes too options.

loveless
20-02-2012, 14:28
Your argument makes no sense to me. Battleforces have always been a good value way to start an army, none have been 'an army in a box'.

This. The problem the OP points out exists for every battleforce if you don't convert something in the box, so I don't see the point.

Frankly I'm glad the battleforce has an Ark instead of a Barge - I'll get more mileage out of buying multiple boxes than I would if it contained Barges. I can include a lot more Arks in an army than I can include Barges.

Commandojimbob
20-02-2012, 14:33
Buy a CCB - build it as an Annihilation Barge, use the Lord with the CCB as an Overlord on foot to join what ever - with options you have easily got a solid starting 750pts legal list for 85.50 (less for purchasing from an independant). Thats good value in my book and some good solid options.

HQ1 - Overlord
TR1 - 5x Immortals
TR2 - 10x Warriors
TR3 - 10x Warriors - Ghost Arc
FA1 - 5x Scarabs
HS1 - Annihilation Barge

Basic game points = 715pts

IcedCrow
20-02-2012, 15:08
In my opinion the battleforce is a great way for necron players to build up their core. I'm happy to see them pushing core. It would be *nice* to see other things but honestly a barge doesn't fit in that box because most people aren't going to spam a ton of them and you'd be left with a lot of extra barge kits you can't use, whereas with the battleforce you are getting pretty much all troop oriented kits and a kit that can either be troops (ark) or heavy support (shooty ark).

Including a lord wouldn't have been bad since they can be part of the royal court but all in all I think the battle force is pretty good for a new necron player to get that core army built up.

TimLeeson
20-02-2012, 15:26
I think it's a solid battleforce. I would get one myself but I'm sick to death of warriors after using them for over 3 editions. Still great though - especially for new players.

Draconis
20-02-2012, 15:37
I think it's a solid battleforce. I would get one myself but I'm sick to death of warriors after using them for over 3 editions. Still great though - especially for new players.

This. +1 sir. However, instead of sick using warriors, I'm sick of putting them together. I hate their arms with a passion.

Lord Damocles
20-02-2012, 15:42
Battleforces have never been about getting a legal army in a box.

That's what the old army boxes were for.

The Necron battleforce is still one of the better ones available.

pun3d
20-02-2012, 15:55
I think them putting in a hq is a bad idea. It would limit you to that character. This way you can buy what ever you want and have a nice core.

Atherakhia
20-02-2012, 16:10
Dude Games Workshop even say on their site not need an Overlord If you're starting out

Gangremond
24-02-2012, 15:02
I'm tempted to get 6 battleforce boxes to start a Necron army. Unless it's part of the royal court, I wouldn't need 6 of the same HQ model.

Konovalev
24-02-2012, 16:54

This. If I didn't already have 60+ warriors and 20 scarabs I'd be buying one. I think the dual kits really make this battleforce a winner compared to the previous battleforces we've had.

Spider-pope
24-02-2012, 17:13
I don't see why the OP is complaining really. The Battleforces are intended to be a slightly cheaper way of getting the core of an army together, or expanding an existing one. And to be honest i doubt any kid receiving one would be disappointed, especially when they'd only need to purchase a single model to make it a legal force. Hardly a huge burden really.

Battleforces have never been about getting a legal army in a box.

Tau can use their battlesuit as a Shas'o, IG have their command squad.
Nobody else gets a character,

None of the battleforces or battalion boxes have ever included a HQ or general choice.

Battleforces don't have any HQs do they?

Everyone always forgets the Ravenwing :cries: not only do they get a character in the box - Landspeeder mounted Master of the Ravenwing - but they're also a legal army albeit a small one.

IcedCrow
24-02-2012, 17:59
I believe it is because the OP is confusing batalion box with army box and wanting a playable out of the box force.

Fithos
24-02-2012, 18:54
For the Record, and has already been stated, some armies are theoretically "playable" out of the box. (eg Tau, IG)

More importantly, if you only have ~750pts anyways you should probably be playing with flash restrictions (1 troop requirement, everything else is up to you) I know they don't really enforce that anymore, but the restrictions are really written with <1000pts in mind.

IcedCrow
24-02-2012, 20:09
Apologies you are correct. I meant a traditional playable force (1 HQ, 2 troops)

Droma
24-02-2012, 21:00
Two battleforce boxes, a lord, and a monolith aren't really out of bounds for what a kid could expect to receive for birthday/christmas. You can pretty easily get up to 1500 points of necrons for not a lot of money. Especially if you're going through independents.

Heck toss in the codex and you're looking at ~160 pounds or $255 US if you buy from wayland. How much does a new xbox+game cost?

DarkMark
25-02-2012, 08:08
How much does a new xbox+game cost?

About the same, and critically a console is ready the second you plug it in. For the want-it-now generation that makes a massive difference. Just saying like:p

Darnok
25-02-2012, 08:18
Please do not derail this into a pricing discussion. We have another place (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?209297-Games-Workshop-Pricing-Feedback-Thread) for that.

Darnok [=I=]