PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Unit Rules

Cthell
21-02-2012, 21:44
Looking through my copy of the 3rd Ed rulebook the other day (I was looking for a bit of fluff) I noticed that the stat line of Eldar Howling banshees was the same as the current (4th ed) codex. A little more checking and I found out it was also the same in the 3rd ed codex (I mean literally the same - profile, weaponry, wargear, points value)

This got me wondering (more out of curiosity than anything) can anyone else think of another unit that this is true for? If not, perhaps we could use banshees as a sort of "gold standard" to measure points inflation/statline creep (/joke)

Also, it was a bit of a surprise to see how few of the models in the 3rd Ed rulebook are still "current" (barring special characters)

Korraz
21-02-2012, 21:51
Weren't Marines 4 Across The Board since at least 2nd Edition?

DeeKay
21-02-2012, 22:01
Marines used to be T3 in 1st Ed until GW changed the rules for Astartes Power Armour to make them T4. If we're going purely 40k, then standard Guardsmen hold the title, having kept their original stats (apart from Int, Cl and Wp, bonus points to anyone who can say what they stood for) throughout their entire existence.

With regards,
Dan.

Cthell
21-02-2012, 22:04
Weren't Marines 4 Across The Board since at least 2nd Edition?

Yes, but they've gained frag and Krak grenades (and a close combat weapon) since 3rd edition, and still cost 15pts (I believe); ergo, they have effectively become cheaper over that time period

DeeKay
21-02-2012, 22:16
From 2nd to 3rd, the cost of a standard Marine halved. In 5th Ed, Tac Marines have become a whole point more expensive and gained a bolt pistol and grenades. The statlines for basic mooks have stayed the same since 2nd Ed. Characters' stats have been a bit more fluid from each edition.

With regards,
Dan.

Mr Zoat
21-02-2012, 22:21
Marines used to be T3 in 1st Ed until GW changed the rules for Astartes Power Armour to make them T4. If we're going purely 40k, then standard Guardsmen hold the title, having kept their original stats (apart from Int, Cl and Wp, bonus points to anyone who can say what they stood for) throughout their entire existence.

With regards,
Dan.

Intelligence, Cool and Willpower, if I remember correctly.

DeeKay
21-02-2012, 22:45
Give that man his bonus points!

Also if we look at Fantasy, trolls have kept the same stats all the way through as well.

With regards,
Dan.