PDA

View Full Version : New wolves! any plans?

Frostfall
22-02-2012, 10:19
As the title states the new space wolves are coming out for 40k and imo they look great for some conversions. Ive been waiting for a good wolf set as the fantasy ones suck. Just curious to see if anyone has plans for these wolves or as excited as i am. Im planning on using some greenstuff to make dire wolves, im hoping that they are a good size. :D

Arnizipal
22-02-2012, 12:01
Even though the current fantasy wolves are getting on in age they aren't all that bad in my opinion.

Leogun_91
22-02-2012, 12:25
I can't find any pictures of them so I will wait and see. If they are good I might ad a project of converting up a unit of chariots to my to-do list.

Evil Hypnotist
22-02-2012, 12:26
I disagree with Arnizpal I'm afraid, the current wolves have been in production for almost 20 years and it shows.

Arnizipal
22-02-2012, 12:28
Feel free to disagree, but I don't really see what's wrong with them.

Frostfall
22-02-2012, 12:40
Theres photos of them up in the " march releases " thread in 40k the rumours. Sorry can't put up link on my phone. Box of six plain wolves and a few wolf riders although they look larger.

Leogun_91
22-02-2012, 13:00
Found them, though it wasn't easy.
They look good so I might use them but still, the common goblins doesn't look good which makes their use greatly limited.

plantagenet
22-02-2012, 13:33
The wolves look fantastic. I really hope GW have some Goblins modelled to go on these for a realease soon. I also would like to see a unit of the bigger wolves that the SPace Wolves are riding on released for fantasy with orcs on them for another new unit or something. Models are really top notch its amazing to see how much GWs sculpting has immproved for untis like this.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/tyranids-space-wolves-march/

Kayosiv
22-02-2012, 13:37
If those are supposed to be space marines riding them, those things are closer to mournfang than wolves.

Nubl0
22-02-2012, 13:37
I'll be picking up a set of the ferensian wolves for counts as sabertusks. Giant wolves look much cooler than the goofy cats imo.

Frostfall
22-02-2012, 13:50
I'll be picking up a set of the ferensian wolves for counts as sabertusks. Giant wolves look much cooler than the goofy cats imo.
Agreed, im very interested to see if it could work

plantagenet
22-02-2012, 13:54
There are smaller wolves along with the large ones that the Space Wolves are riding

Infern0
22-02-2012, 19:24
Goblin wolf chariots. Lots of them.

Mallo
22-02-2012, 20:29
Goblin wolf chariots. Lots of them.

This.

My goblins are skinning dwarves in joy at this news!

Urgat
22-02-2012, 20:33
Feel free to disagree, but I don't really see what's wrong with them.

I agree with you, but at the same time I'll say their poses are bland. Hence why I repositioned mine, and I think they're adequate enough this way :) (see my plog). Those smaller spacewolf wolves (sic) are nice enough, but I don't see that they are such a big improvement over the current goblin ones (pose apart).

de Selby
22-02-2012, 20:52
My plan is to wait and see if GW actually releases a new goblin wolf rider set. I agree that the old wolves are ok but the new ones are much nicer. And the current riders are uninspiring. What's the price of the 40k wolf set compared to GW's usual price for Fantasy cavalry? Do they have room to add a goblin riders sprue and charge a standard cavalry price?

edit: apparently 5 wolves without riders is 15.50. That doesn't leave a huge amount of room... new black knights are 18.50 and current wolf riders are 20 for ten.

RTGamer
22-02-2012, 20:53
I'm going for the following:

Smaller Wolves will be unit fillers, war dogs and chariot pullers
Larger wolves for Razorgors, heads on Minotaur bodies forWolf Gors/Werespawn.

An entire army of Were Wolves... BRING IT ON!

castlesmadeofsand
22-02-2012, 21:39
the small wolves for goblin wolf riders and the larger ones for knights in my ulrician/middenheim army :D

Hragged
23-02-2012, 01:51
Sabretusks for me!

Jind_Singh
23-02-2012, 02:38
I'm drooling!!! Will be ripping off the old wolves from the gobbo chariots for sure!!!

AND.....

I sense a cunning plan.....

Back when our O & G book was released I was reading the entry for the 2 new special characters - and I thought:

"Ahhhhh, new wolf rider special character - they will make a metal (As there was no finecast then) minature of a Goblin riding a really cool looking wolf"

But then I considered the impact of such a model....the current Wolf riders would look more dated than they already are (I have lots of these wee buggers, they are servicable but not amazing by any stretch of the imagination).

Then I thought:

"Ahhhh, so they will not release such a character until they redo the current wolf Riders kit, and then they will do a splash release of:

Snagla Grobspit (Spider Rider)
The hun (Wolf Rider)
New Wolf Riders

And now that I've seen the new plastic wolves I know this will happen!! I have faith!

zoggin-eck
23-02-2012, 07:22
I really want to try the fenrisian wolves for goblin wold rider champions and characters, but I'm sure we'll see a new wolf rider set one day anyway, so I might just hold out. For me, it's the existing goblin riders I dislike more than the wolves. I have enough old metal riders for only a unit of five, so maybe.

One other idea I might use as an excuse to buy the set, is to use them as Wood Elf wildriders, kind of like the Elfquest comics! (I've done it before with the current plastics, but it looks like the the elves' feet drag along the ground!)

Thunder wolves, I'll see. Mournfangs if I played Ogres, though, would make sense.

Frostfall
23-02-2012, 07:23
Unfortunatly I think it may be a while before we get some specific wolf models for fantasy (maybe fw ) purely because gw likes making money. Why make you buy one kit when you could get two. The wolves and possibly the goblin wolf riders. A perfect example is tk and vc. I hope im wrong

Urgat
23-02-2012, 10:10
Back when our O & G book was released I was reading the entry for the 2 new special characters - and I thought:

"Ahhhhh, new wolf rider special character - they will make a metal (As there was no finecast then) minature of a Goblin riding a really cool looking wolf"

But then I considered the impact of such a model....the current Wolf riders would look more dated than they already are (I have lots of these wee buggers, they are servicable but not amazing by any stretch of the imagination).

Then I thought:

"Ahhhh, so they will not release such a character until they redo the current wolf Riders kit, and then they will do a splash release of:

Snagla Grobspit (Spider Rider)
The hun (Wolf Rider)
New Wolf Riders

And now that I've seen the new plastic wolves I know this will happen!! I have faith!

It didn't work like that at all for boar riders though, see Gorbad and the multipart boss kit.

plantagenet
24-02-2012, 15:54
I prefer the idea of White wolves riding on the Giant Space wolves more than I liek the idea that they may be getting Demi Griffons as there monterous cavalry. IF they do get Monterous Cavalry in Empire would certianly make a cool conversion

angelofrage
24-02-2012, 16:03
Would like to use the smaller wolves to make hob goblin wolf riders, maybe a large wolf for the Khan. But in reality I think i'll hold off to see if there is an official kit from FW first.

Spider-pope
24-02-2012, 16:07
The Fenrisian wolves will be added to my Daemon army as counts-as Flesh hounds. If the Thunderwolf riders are completely separate from their mounts, and they probably are, i intend to get my revenge on all the Space puppy players who have defiled Khornes juggernauts as stand ins by using a set as Bloodcrushers.

Overtninja
25-02-2012, 06:44
i am hoping that i can use the wolf pack as mounts for my wood elf wild riders. i don't think they'll rank very well, but they don't on horses so it's not a big loss as far as i'm concerned. :D

Battleworthy Arts
25-02-2012, 06:49
I will build them. I will paint them. Then I will rampage countless foes with them.

Urgat
25-02-2012, 19:06
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod1460179a
Mmh, I've been looking at those wolves, and I came to the conclusion that we'll see them again with saddles and goblins soon enough. There's just no way a 40k model wouldn't have more 40k-related imagery attached to it otherwise. Those wolves are just the right size for goblin mounts too, and the hair on their back just happens to conveniently stop were the saddle should go. I wouldn't say I'm 100% sure, but close enough. 99%. Well I'm lying, I'm 100% sure, I'm just saying that so I don't appear as a complete fool if I were wrong. But I'm not :p

Hragged
25-02-2012, 19:49
They look fantastic, don't they? :D

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
25-02-2012, 20:04
I will probably make a small gobbo wolf unit with the new wolves.

Cheers,
G

Urgat
25-02-2012, 20:17
They look fantastic, don't they? :D

They are very nice, but not so much that I would throw away my old ones. I wonder if they're not a tiny bit smaller, too (I don't mind, just wondering).

MajorWesJanson
25-02-2012, 20:56
I imagine these wolves are a base design, like the single Finecast Cold One they released. Then there will be ridden versions. A second sprue with riders and saddles would be easy, and then they could phase out the old wolves completely.

Balerion
25-02-2012, 21:45
Hmmm, lots of optimism in here regarding the WFB possibilities for the Thunderwolfs... gotta say, I'm still sort of skeptical. They look pretty wide at the shoulders, so good luck ranking them up if you want to use them as replacements for something that rides a cavalry base. Additionally, some of the poses look designed to take advantage of the real estate of a 40mm circular base (one wolf in particular seems to be "curled" around the curve of the base) and it makes me wonder not only whether you could rank it up on a cavalry base, but also how you would even go about gluing it in place.

I hope it works out, though, because these look way better than Sabertusks. I might mix some of the Fenrisians into my Dire Wolves one day.

ZooKeeper
25-02-2012, 22:49
I have mixed feelings about the new wolves. The poses on 3/5 of the Fenresian wolves seems like they are dancing (with Kevin Costner?).
Thunderwolves: Awesome.

Grom the Paunch needs a new set of wheels, so I might GS the silly out of a set.

Mr_Foulscumm
26-02-2012, 09:56
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod1460179a
Those wolves are just the right size for goblin mounts too, and the hair on their back just happens to conveniently stop were the saddle should go.

Goblins don't use saddles! :D

Oh and I hope you're right. My all cav Goblin army is waiting for new models. :)

Gazak Blacktoof
26-02-2012, 11:59
I'll probably get a box to add a few models into my empire force as giant hunting hounds. If they're large enough to fit a war of the roses man at arms on then they might make some weird steeds for a unique unit of empire knights.

They're also far prettier than the plastic chaos hounds, so if I didn't already have metal ones I'd be tempted to get some for chaos too.

Urgat
26-02-2012, 14:14
Goblins don't use saddles! :D

They do in the drawings :p Well, a gob can sit there anyway, saddle or not :p

lbecks
26-02-2012, 14:29
They'd make nice direwolves. And their heads are a good size.

Makaber
26-02-2012, 14:52
I fully expect to see a handful strapped to my Gobbo Chariots in the forseeable future.

benvoliothefirst
27-02-2012, 01:12
Will DEFINITELY be using them as Dire Wolves, thank goodness I can finally retire my Battle Masters wolves who were pressed into service 15 years ago with the assumption that "once GW releases new good wolves they'll be swapped out."

I waited through two generations of sorely disappointing dire wolves before these babies, and I won't wait any longer!

May also use the thunderwolves as vargheist/werewolves as well, they look great. I'll have to green stuff over the techy-bits.

Elrond12
27-02-2012, 04:33
Throw a few spines & horns on these puppies ( pun intended ) & they will make some cool Chaos Warhounds :)

DarkMark
27-02-2012, 07:44
Counts as Treekin perhaps? I can see lots of armies using them as fillers. Well done GW, haven't said that for a while!

eldargal
27-02-2012, 07:55
I shall be using them as counts-as Dire Wolves for WFB and counts-as clawed fiends for my Dark Eldar in 40k. I'd also like to find a way of integrating them into my Empire army, perhaps some unit fillers.

Not-not-kenny
28-02-2012, 13:37
I've long thought about mounting my empire general on something other than a horse, maybe this is what I've been waiting for.