PDA

View Full Version : where does the word Cheese come from?

Glenn87
22-02-2012, 19:40
sometimes you hear people saying that a certain list is cheesy... but where does the comparison to cheese come from?

Netfreakk
22-02-2012, 19:58
Where does Beardy come from?

Theocracity
22-02-2012, 20:22

The lackidasical shaving habits of many dedicated male nerds :).

Gearhead
22-02-2012, 20:33
Cheese is also served with Wine (Whine). It's all slang for essentialy, "Your army is Cheap" rebutted by "Cry some more".

Kulgur
22-02-2012, 20:46

Not sure if it's the original source, but has been used in White Dwarf. Can't remember the exact issue but it was a while back (in the days of magic item cards).

Lord Damocles
22-02-2012, 20:49
Not sure if it's the original source, but has been used in White Dwarf. Can't remember the exact issue but it was a while back (in the days of magic item cards).
Beardy (Adjective)
The practice of unashamedly exploiting an aspect of the rules to gain an advantage despite it being out of character for the army and/or gaming background.
A unit, vehicle, character, etc. that is so designed.

Cheesy (Adjective)
See Beardy

'The Jē Files' in White Dwarf 216, pg.91, perhaps? It was used in relation to a Dwarf gunline army IIRC...

Theocracity
22-02-2012, 20:56
Beardy (Adjective)
The practice of unashamedly exploiting an aspect of the rules to gain an advantage despite it being out of character for the army and/or gaming background.

Cheesy (Adjective)
See Beardy

'The Jē Files' in White Dwarf 216, pg.91, perhaps? It was used in relation to a Dwarf gunline army IIRC...

Ah, it's Dwarf specific. My mistake. I must have conflated the phrase with the general slur of 'neckbeard.'

Latro_
22-02-2012, 21:51
I always assumed cheesy was a reference to something stinking like cheesy feet. i.e. that tactic stinks

Beardy I always assumed was from using your index finger and thumb to stroke a beard with a pout to convey a smug message kinda:

Also cheesey i think is very much a US thing and beardy more a UK thing for whatever reason

grey knights rock
22-02-2012, 22:28
beardy comes from when dwarves in fantasy could be exploited or something to be really really good. kinda the same way BT are supposed to be an assault army except, they are significatly better at shooting. the dwarves have beards, so the people playing them were called beardy. its got less of a negative conotation than cheezey. cheesey is more like using net lists that are inherently powerful without much skill to win. beardy is coming up with a way to win that isn't very obvious. a beardy person uses skill to win, a cheezy person uses uninventive ways to win. Thats the best I can describe it.

ForgottenLore
22-02-2012, 22:51
Did any of you actually bother to read his question?

He knows what the term means, he wants to know HOW it came to mean that. WHY does reference to a food item mean something is bad?

To the OP, I don't know.

Kevlar
22-02-2012, 23:10
Cheese is also served with Wine (Whine). It's all slang for essentialy, "Your army is Cheap" rebutted by "Cry some more".

That is basically it.

Player A makes WTFOVAPRD list. Player A then ROFLSTOMPS player B. Player B whines and cries about overpowered Player A list. Player A states a rebuttal; "would you like some cheese with that whine?". Player B then refers to Player A's list as cheesy.

khaosmarines
23-02-2012, 05:14
I though it was like cheese as in

Whats the best part of a pizza? THE CHEESE!!= best part of the codex

So you spam the cheese ( a cheese pizza), always tastes good but not much skill to make it.

No idea were the term actually comes from...

TheRatsInTheWalls
23-02-2012, 05:45
While these etymologies are all fascinating, here is the real one:
cheesy (2). Meaning "cheap, inferior" is attested from 1896, originally as U.S. student slang, along with cheese (n.) "an ignorant, stupid person." In late 19c. British slang, cheesy was "fine, showy," and some suggest the modern use is an ironic reversal. The word was in common use in medical writing in the late 19c. to describe morbid substances found in tubers, decaying flesh, etc. Cheesed "disgruntled, exasperated," is from 1941, British slang, but the connection is uncertain.

The current usage evolved specifically through the double-meaning of "cheap."

Edit: Guess I should give my source.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=cheesy&searchmode=none

Lord Squidar
23-02-2012, 08:04
I remember reading somewhere that a cricket commentator called a particular move cheesy and that was the first instance of it. Dont have sources though, sorry.

stroller
23-02-2012, 20:18
Can't help with the origin but urban dictionary has this:

beardy
A word sometimes used to describe experienced veterans of Warhammer or Warhammer 40,000 with the same definition as cheesy.

"You just got pwned by my nobz!" That's because you're beardy."

Vet.Sister
23-02-2012, 22:39
Beardy (Adjective)

Cheesy (Adjective)
See Beardy

This is the one definition I'm accustomed to seeing/hearing. Ofc my old 40K group were hard adherents to "...it is too legal. The codex doesn't prevent me from taking this unit and giving it this special character to maximize their wargear/special rules..." :(

Born Again
24-02-2012, 01:25
beardy is coming up with a way to win that isn't very obvious. a beardy person uses skill to win, a cheezy person uses uninventive ways to win. Thats the best I can describe it.

That seems to be an internet thing that's come up in recent years due to the divide in American/ British terminology. As stated, Americans tend to use the term 'cheese'. They then hear the word 'beardy' from Brits on the internet, and sort of... invented their own, not-quite-right definition to go alongside their own term.

Beardy (Adjective)

Cheesy (Adjective)
See Beardy

Lord Damocles has it, this was the first use of either word I ever heard, and is the definition I still adhere by. It just seems to have changed in some people's minds over time though (as above).

The article also had the word 'tinboy' for someone who regularly played with unpainted models, and was a label intended to carry shame, but seems to be a common practice these days...

AlphariusOmegon20
25-02-2012, 09:11
Beardy existed long before the internet was as popular as it is now. I remember seeing it being used commonly in WD back in the mid 90's.

xxRavenxx
25-02-2012, 10:06
Beardy existed long before the internet was as popular as it is now. I remember seeing it being used commonly in WD back in the mid 90's.

The oldest gamer I know remembers the term from decades back and thought it referred to the napoleonic type wargamers, typically with beards who would rules lawyer (or history lawyer) everything, thusly acting... beardy.

semper_fi
25-02-2012, 10:55
The lackidasical shaving habits of many dedicated (fe)male nerds :).

Thought so... but also could have something to do with dwarven beards

Ronin_eX
25-02-2012, 12:02
Beardy seems to be about as old as Grognard and has been in use for longer than I have gamed. So we can probably blame the historicals blokes for it. The best etymological explanation for cheesy is that it was often used as a slang term to mean "cheap" (as in quality). Cheap has more than one meaning and so cheesy came along for the ride and since at least the 80's, if not earlier, it has been a pretty common term for something someone finds unfair.

So cheap = cheesy = beardy.

S_A_T_S
25-02-2012, 19:59
Beardy I always assumed was from using your index finger and thumb to stroke a beard with a pout to convey a smug message kinda:

+1 to this. I remember "beard" accompanied by the action of stroking the chin being popular kids playground slang when I was in primary school, early 90's. This was several years before I discovered GW. It essentially meant "I do not believe what you are saying to be correct/that you are lying for some benefit for yourself and I think you are an ********." Nothing at all to do with dwarves.

Coasty
26-02-2012, 09:57
Because cheese stinks.

Xandros
26-02-2012, 10:08
I think cheese is widely associated with cheap, fast and unhealthy foods. Adding cheese makes everything better. Easy to make, cheap addictive and will eventually be the end of you. That at least, is my personal association.

Being smelly adds to the strength of the image, but I doubt that's the main thing.

Seville
26-02-2012, 18:20
This seems most likely.

I know "cheesy" has been around for a very long time, and not just about wargaming. I can remember hearing it bandied about a lot in arcades back in '89 or so during games of Street Fighter II.