PDA

View Full Version : Pre Heresy Nightlords with all Forgeworld bitz. Need ideas.

23-02-2012, 06:40
In anticipation of the new Legions CSM book coming out in the near future, I thought I would get a jump start by rebuilding my Night lords from the ground up. I sold them about 3 years ago when I had 5000pts of the plastics/metals. I've recently come into about $2000.00 that I can spend to my hearts content. So I've decided to do all preheresy models from the forgeworld line for my Night lords. Also this way I could play Codex Space Marines too when it comes out since my chaos marines won't really be daemonic. The nightlords hate chaos anyways. It's just a tool.

So the questions I had were what sort of marks of armour should I buy my guys. I was thinking of doing the army just on the outset of the heresy. Maybe a decade before Istvaan or something.

HQ:

Captain with magnetized jumppack
Librarian/Sorceror (My Prophet if you please) in power armour

Elite:
5 Terminators (I will convert these from existing Chaos terminators using the dreadnought leg guards as bigger shoulder pads.
10 Sternguard/Chosen (Should these guys have older mark of armour or newer mark)
Contemptor Dreadnought (Nothing says pre-heresy like one of these babies)

Troops

30-40 Guys in preheresy rhinos or drop pods. Not sure yet. I think they will give the Legions book something for drop podding hopefully. Not sure what mark of armour regular tactical marines wore preheresy for the traitors side.

Fast:
5 Chapter House Studios Jetbikes
20 Raptors/Assault Marines with the old school jumppacks also from Chapter house.

Heavy:

Now Nightlords aren't known for their heavy support, but still I love the new Predators from Forgeworld. And a Mark 1 Land Raider would be awesome. Not sure if it would fit the feel of the army though? Should I do some Havocs/Devastators instead?

What do you guys think, could my dream come true. Should I wait for the Legions book to come out to see what rules the Nightlords get? I kinda want 2000pts done before the book comes out.

MajorWesJanson
23-02-2012, 09:28
My Suggestions-

Contemptor Dread with FW Lucius Drop Pod
Terminators with Mk IIb Land Raider as dedicated transport.
Sternguard/Chosen- 10x Mk III Iron armor. with Phobos pattern bolters with plastic drop pod as dedicated transport

10x Tac Marines in Mk II armor with Umbra Pattern Bolters
10x or 20x Tac Marines in Mk IV with Umbra Pattern Bolters
10x Tac Marines in Mk V with Umbra Pattern Bolters
Special and Heavy weapon sets to mix in
Deimos Pattern Rhinos as dedicated transports.

10x Mk II Assault Marines from FW
10x Mk V Assault Marines from FW

Proteus pattern Land Raider
Phobos pattern Predator
10x Havocs in Mk II armor, using Heavy weapons not used in tac squads.

DuskRaider
23-02-2012, 17:16
I'm doing similar, actually. I've pretty much just stuck with basic entries, because gods only know what the Legion will obtain when the book comes out. Thus far I have a couple infantry squads, one armed with a Missile Launcher and Melta Gun, the other a Missile Launcher and Flamer. My HQ is a Lord with Jump Pack and twin-Lightning Claws, but I'm working on another that will have the Slaanesh Daemon Weapon (counts-as, and isn't god-dedicated). I'm using the two power whips from the FW Master of the Forge, I can see them causing Instant Death quite easily. As far as tanks, we've seen them use Land Raiders before (Post-Heresy even) in the Soul Hunter series, so it's not impossible.

Pre-Heresy, they'd have access to even more equipment, so Predators are definitely in the mix, as are Rhinos. I'd look at a lot of their tactics of fear and terrorism as more of a vanguard act, before the Legion drops the big guns and finishes the fight. Chosen and Havocs probably aren't going anywhere either, so those are things you can use. Armor wise, I'm going with Mk. IV - Mk. VI, with Heavy Weapons operators wearing Mk. II & Mk. III for the extra protection.

SunTzu
23-02-2012, 18:06
5 Chapter House Studios Jetbikes

You might *cough* want to wait a little while longer *cough, cough* perhaps for, say, a few more months *cough, cough, splutter* before going down this route. Though if you can get the rest of it painted by the end of the year it might be very fortuitous. I say that for no particular reason.

In general I'd say you're thinking along some really cool lines - I'd love to do a Night Lords army myself but I've already got pre-Heresy World Eaters and post-Heresy Word Bearers either planned or in progress, so much as I love ADB's Night Lords books there's only so many Chaos/Traitor/Renegade Marine armies I need. Otherwise I'd be looking much along the same lines as you are. I'd echo the advice above: to be sure of future-proofing the army for the next C:CSM book (and any other theoretical potential books that might turn up in the next seven or eight months that might possibly influence what you want to do with the army, not that I'm thinking of anything specific you understand) you might consider, for now, sticking to the stuff that you know isn't going to change: the basic Marines and vehicles that FW already do.

For example, it's a fairly open secret that FW Heresy era Terminators aren't far away (they've done all the power armour marks, simple process of deduction says they're likely to do Terminators at some point, and you'd assume sooner rather than later). Converting your own would certainly work - and if the FW ones don't show up very soon, you'll have a unit to play with. But speaking for myself, I'm going to play the odds that they're likely to appear at some point, and wait. Should you do the same? You have to decide that yourself.

23-02-2012, 18:10
Well I just purchased 30 suits of Mark IV and 15 suits of Mark II off of Ebay, saving about 60 dollars. And now I'm getting what I can't on ebay from Forgeworld. So far in my shopping list is 5 suits of Mark III, 10 Suits of Mark II Assault Marines, 40 Umbra Bolters, 10 Umbra Ferrox Bolters, 2 Deimos Predators, 3 Deimos Rhinos and 2 Special Weapons Kits.

I figure I'll just make my Space Marine Captain with a jumppack and lightning claws as well and stick him with some Assault Marines/Raptors. I'd love to buy a command squad but I'm not sure if CSM Legions will have some sort of comparable unit. I'm going to buy the boarding shields too for my Havoc/Devastator squad cause I think it will look cool like they defend the heavy weapons or something.

Not sure about Terminators and a Land Raider though. Did Night Lords really utilize Termies in Pre-Heresy. I thought Terminator armour wasn't that widespread before and during the Heresy. I'm trying to stay true to the Night Lords. I will probably just buy an off the shelf Land Raider and 5 CSM Terminators to convert. Why oh Why forgeworld have you not made pre-heresy Terminator armour yet is beyond me.

I've decided to not buy the Sternguard/Chosen a Rhino, because as Sternguard they will use one of my already built/primed Drop Pods. And as CSM they will infiltrate. Which I hope Chosen still get to do in the new book.

MajorWesJanson
24-02-2012, 03:41
I'm going to buy the boarding shields too for my Havoc/Devastator squad cause I think it will look cool like they defend the heavy weapons or something.

That is a really really cool idea. I may have to steal it. Make them stand out as "Veteran Devastator" squads.

Not sure about Terminators and a Land Raider though. Did Night Lords really utilize Termies in Pre-Heresy. I thought Terminator armour wasn't that widespread before and during the Heresy. I'm trying to stay true to the Night Lords. I will probably just buy an off the shelf Land Raider and 5 CSM Terminators to convert.

In the ADB Night Lord books, they have both, though in small numbers. Same easily goes for Pre Heresy.

24-02-2012, 18:02
So I have bought all my figures now.

HQ: Pro Painted Chaos Space Marine Lord with Jumppack and Twin Lightning Claws.

Elite:
10 Suits of Mark II Armour
1 Contemptor Dread with CCW and Autocannon

Troops:
30 Suits of Mark IV Armour with FW Rhino and Heavy Bolter/Melta

Fast Attack;
20 Suits of MK II Assault Armour

Heavy;
2xFW Preheresy Predators
5 MK II Suits with 4 ML's
5 MK III Suits with Boarding Shields

I found 11 bitz for the shoulder pads and bought those. No way in hell I'm using the bat heads. I went on the GW site to buy shoulder pads and normally they run 12 dollars for 10 for every other damn chapter/legion. But the NL's are in an upgrade pack with the stupid heads for 40 fricking dollars. I can't afford to spend 300 dollars just to give my guys authentic shoulder pads.

I've been to like 6 bitz stores and only found one that carried them and snatched all 11 up. I'll need another 40-50.

Anyone know any good bitz stores.