PDA

View Full Version : Naming Titans (How do you...?)

Pooky
23-02-2012, 07:06
I'm thinking of getting a Titan*. Since this is going to be a big project, I believe the model should be given a suitably awesome name! Wanting to do this right, I want to make sure the Titan's name is done well...

That being said, how would you name a Titan? Do you give it a 2 part name or just a one word? I am leaning towards having a two word name.

I have also been thinking of one of 2 methods of coming to a name:

1) Looking up existing names of gods/ entities/ fantastic beings and altering their names slightly. For example, "Zeus" become "Zeuth", "Mars" becomes "Marna".

Or

2) Taking 'cool' words and translating them into Latin. For example "Final Truth" becomes "Ultima Verum", or "Big Lightning" becomes "Magna Fulgur".

* It's most likely a loyalist Reaver with two Laser Blasters and an Apoc Rocket Launcher.

MajorWesJanson
23-02-2012, 07:17
Mine are all option 2. Pick something interesting sounding, translate to Latin, see how it sounds.

All of my titan names are two part as well.

Finally, I try to theme titans that work together, like pairs of warhounds or battlegroups of reavers/warlords. Two of my Reavers are Aurora Malleus (Hammer of Dawn) and Gladius Umbra (Sword of Dusk)

soul destroyer
23-02-2012, 07:49
For my warhound I chose a name then translated it into latin via some dodgy looking website, so endless wrath became Audaticus ire (spelling maybe off not got the thing with me now) liked how it sounded.

kardar233
23-02-2012, 07:54
My favourite Titan name is Vae Victis.

Just putting it out there.

Most Titan names are some warlike, Mechanicus or religious phrase translated to latin.

agurus1
23-02-2012, 07:54
number two

Dreachon
23-02-2012, 12:00
Like the other I go with option 2, high gothic in 40K seems to have latin as it's main influence.

I have 3 chaos titans, 1 reaver and 2 warhounds.
Necros Mortem
Canis Nex
Mortis Irae

Korraz
23-02-2012, 13:30
I called my Reaver Ira Dei.
Because what he unleashes in the shooting phase is pretty much the wrath of god.

Hrw-Amen
23-02-2012, 19:38
I have two chaos warhounds that are painted up in the same colours as my chaos Ultramarine force. I call them:

1:- Dominous Ultra
2:- Affliction of Woe

So yes, definately go for the two word option, don't know why but something that big should have something big for its name. It also helps if it is tied to an army of some kind to possibly tie in the name somehow, or at least tie it to a faction be it chaos, imperial or whatever.

Fable
23-02-2012, 20:30
In some ways I think it depends on your army. If it's just a generic imperial force than any old latin should do as long as you think it best describes the titan. However, if your playing a specific flavor of marine it might be nice to use some of the legends of the culture that influenced them. For instance if you play Space Wolves perhaps Elrik Steelbane or some such name would be more appropriate, perhaps embodying a specific legendary figure.

For my phantom I went through some of the old Gaelic lore and came up with this:

The Phantom Titan Tuathanuada of Fir Dedanann, Prophets of The Storm, on Ulthwe is armed with the Phantom Close Combat Weapon Claiomh Solais, the Sword of Victory, and the Phantom D-Cannon Areadbhar, the Spear of Light. Of all the Phantom Titan Clans the Prophets of The Storm are known for advancing to the front of large engagements to allow other battle formations to shift their location for daunting tactical strikes elsewhere while the Phantom fades away from combat after stalling or destroying the enemy.

I wrapped quite a bit more fluff and game history (including some fluff regarding my most common opponents) into a backstory blurb for the titan, but the names of the weapons, the clan and the name Tuathanuada all stem from Irish folklore.

jeffersonian000
23-02-2012, 20:32
I named my 12 titans after the original 12 titans from Greek mythology. And no, I'm probably nt ging to add a 13th.

SJ

Pooky
23-02-2012, 22:12
I named my 12 titans after the original 12 titans from Greek mythology. And no, I'm probably nt ging to add a 13th.

SJ

This will sound silly, but you did say 12 Titans... Right? As in TWELVE? :D

Pooky
23-02-2012, 22:27
In some ways I think it depends on your army. If it's just a generic imperial force than any old latin should do as long as you think it best describes the titan. However, if your playing a specific flavor of marine it might be nice to use some of the legends of the culture that influenced them. For instance if you play Space Wolves perhaps Elrik Steelbane or some such name would be more appropriate, perhaps embodying a specific legendary figure.

While I agree with your naming convention of 'generic imperial force', i.e. name it something 'old latin', I will query your point about the fluff name when joined to a particular Imperial force. From what I understand (and I could be totally off), the Titan Legion is not subject to any other Imperial organisation, it is its own entity. From that I thought the Titans would be named their own names, no matter who they are joined to.

Just for the record, the Titan will most likely be run with either Space Marines (because they are so common), Grey Knights (if I get my act together and finish my army) or Imperial Guard (if I go doubles with a friend of mine in Apoc).

Fable
24-02-2012, 03:56
While I agree with your naming convention of 'generic imperial force', i.e. name it something 'old latin', I will query your point about the fluff name when joined to a particular Imperial force. From what I understand (and I could be totally off), the Titan Legion is not subject to any other Imperial organisation, it is its own entity. From that I thought the Titans would be named their own names, no matter who they are joined to.

Just for the record, the Titan will most likely be run with either Space Marines (because they are so common), Grey Knights (if I get my act together and finish my army) or Imperial Guard (if I go doubles with a friend of mine in Apoc).

Titans have their own clans that are separate from marine chapters or imperial guard regiments, and as such they can have independent names, in the same way that flyers are Imperial Navy. That being said, it doesn't seem unreasonable that a titan's name would be referenced by whatever region of the Imperium it hails from. If it hails from a region of the Imperium that is in the same vicinity as your Chapter then they would probably have a similar cultural background to reference. So a Titan that hails from a planet near Fenris might be called "Elryk, Voice of the Allfather" and wield a Volcano Cannon called "Titanbane." I go a bit far by naming the weapons, but we all have our obsessions I suppose, really I'm just getting lost on a tangent while trying to give a hopefully good example of what I meant.

Pooky
24-02-2012, 04:38
Titans have their own clans that are separate from marine chapters or imperial guard regiments, and as such they can have independent names, in the same way that flyers are Imperial Navy. That being said, it doesn't seem unreasonable that a titan's name would be referenced by whatever region of the Imperium it hails from. If it hails from a region of the Imperium that is in the same vicinity as your Chapter then they would probably have a similar cultural background to reference. So a Titan that hails from a planet near Fenris might be called "Elryk, Voice of the Allfather" and wield a Volcano Cannon called "Titanbane." I go a bit far by naming the weapons, but we all have our obsessions I suppose, really I'm just getting lost on a tangent while trying to give a hopefully good example of what I meant.

I thought that ALL Titans were made on Mars...? From Mars they are either shipped out whole or are put together on the planet they are about to lay siege to.

MajorWesJanson
24-02-2012, 13:11
I thought that ALL Titans were made on Mars...? From Mars they are either shipped out whole or are put together on the planet they are about to lay siege to.

Nope. Titan Legions are built and maintained by individual Forgeworlds. Just about every decent sized Forge world has a small legion or better for self defense, only the larger Forge Worlds have "crusading Legions" of Titans that go out and fight elsewhere.

Spleen Hammer
24-02-2012, 20:28
I named mine Steve and he doesn't seem to mind. Steve the Titan. Yep.