PDA

View Full Version : HeroQuest as a gateway drug

SunTzu
23-02-2012, 13:07
An awful lot of people in the "where did you start" thread mentioned HeroQuest as their first introduction to the hobby. I'm curious as to how many of us got hooked that way?

Sleazy
23-02-2012, 13:18
ME!

I was aware of GW but HQ was the first proper game we played.

toonboy78
23-02-2012, 13:50
my friend had it, and i got advanced heroquest

DarkReaver
23-02-2012, 13:58
I had 8 copies of "Hero Quest" for extra models. I allso have 5 copies of "Kellar's Keep", 3 copies of "Return of the Witch Lord" and 4 copies of "Against the Ogre Horde".
So many good times :)

paddyalexander
23-02-2012, 14:03
I got Heroquest for christmas and my best friend at the time got Space Crusade. The fact that MB actualy ran TV adverts and you could buy the games anywhere that sold toys helped its popularity at the time. Discovered D&D a few months later but the comparitively shorter game play of Heroquest made it very popular with my friends. I even had a teacher in primary school who used to join in on games (which ment we played to the end of the game instead of when lunch period ended). It was a great laugh. If they ever re-release it or Warhammer Quest I'd buy eight.

Right now Decent from Fantasy Flight Games is doing a really good job of filling that hole in my gaming life at the moment. I'd highly recommend it.

shelfunit.
23-02-2012, 14:09
Saw it advertised before christmas, got it, loved it, still have it. Brilliant entry into the genre. Without Heroquest I doubt half the people who currently do would know anything about GW.

I had 8 copies of "Hero Quest" for extra models. I allso have 5 copies of "Kellar's Keep", 3 copies of "Return of the Witch Lord" and 4 copies of "Against the Ogre Horde".
So many good times :)

You may be in demand for any extra spare room tiles/quest booklets - on the off chance you do have any - let me know please ;)

Bloodknight
23-02-2012, 14:31
Here, me. Probably could have been Space Crusade if it had been out at the time, but HeroQuest came out one year earlier, I think.

The fact that MB actualy ran TV adverts and you could buy the games anywhere that sold toys helped its popularity at the time

Agreed.

Right now Decent from Fantasy Flight Games is doing a really good job of filling that hole in my gaming life at the moment. I'd highly recommend it

I think it wouldn't serve as a gateway game like HQ did, though. It's way too complicated and the gameplay is rather slow compared to HQ. But loads of fun, yes.

SunTzu
23-02-2012, 16:10
Space Crusade definitely wasn't as good a game as Heroquest, by the way. It was obviously supposed to capture a similar audience, but the gameplay was more arbitrary and involved less player agency, there really wasn't any meaningful equivalent to the Heroquest storyline, the models weren't as seminal (with the possible exception of the Chaos Android which later became the Necrons)... and neither myself nor any of my friends ever found it anything like as much fun.

Advanced Heroquest was also rather good, but if played strictly by the rules it was incredibly difficult to survive for any length of time, and yet with an obvious optimal strategy (stand in the doorway every fight without actually entering the room, so only one monster could attack you). House rule it and it had plenty of potential. Advanced Space Crusade was similar, too.

But Heroquest, yes... it really caught the zeitgeist and captured a lot of hobbyists for a lifetime. The TV adverts (while incredibly cheesy) were memorable and really helped build awareness... then when you got into it, it was a damn good game. (For kids, at least. I'm not sure I'd get the same fun out of it as an adult, it was too simplistic... but that meant it was streamlined and that meant anyone could play it).

Here's the TV advert! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY_YRatOInA) Yep... cheesy. But prophetic - "once you get into it, you'll never be the same!"

Cxt
23-02-2012, 16:14
I loved Hero Quest while growing up. Yet until about 2 months ago I never knew GW produced it. I always thought it was just a random board game (though an awesome random board game). I learned about GW from a friend, and those early single color miniature mail order catalogs of the very early 90s.

Deff Mekz
23-02-2012, 16:16
Yes, I started with HeroQuest. "I'll use my Broadsword!" "Fire of Wrath!" (This 1000 times over :evilgrin:
I'm not even 25 and I started with Heroquest (the beauty of the carboot sale :D), I have to say it's a magnificent game and I would of probally never found the hobby if it wasn't for the game.

DarthSte
23-02-2012, 16:31
I think I was playing Talisman before HeroQuest came out... What year did that come out?

***edit***

Yeah, HeroQuest came out in '89. I'd been playing Talisman and Bloodbowl for 2 years by then. So I probably had WFB 3rd Ed and Rogue Trader books and a scattering of random miniatures before it came out.

shelfunit.
23-02-2012, 16:33
I think I was playing Talisman before HeroQuest came out... What year did that come out?

Back in 1983 (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/714/talisman)

Shadowheart
23-02-2012, 16:49
Hardcore HeroQuest fan to this day. The look and feel of it is exceptional, as is the storyline. They managed to suggest a proper Fantasy epic with little text.

I particularly like how they made Morcar a credible threat and worthy enemy by having him send the Emperor fleeing at the ends of the main game and the first expansion. And I love how much character the Witch Lord had when all you knew about him is that he just wouldn't stay dead.

The latter set of expansions and Space Crusade were probably the first time I was seriously disappointed by a sequel.

There was a third MB/GW game called Battlemasters, a simple boardgame version of WFB. Where "board" means "giant vinyl mat".

Ozorik
23-02-2012, 17:56
Space Crusade definitely wasn't as good a game as Heroquest, by the way. It was obviously supposed to capture a similar audience, but the gameplay was more arbitrary and involved less player agency, there really wasn't any meaningful equivalent to the Heroquest storyline, the models weren't as seminal (with the possible exception of the Chaos Android which later became the Necrons)... and neither myself nor any of my friends ever found it anything like as much fun.

8 year olds don't care :)

I can still picture the (Kev Walker?) illustration of the ruined Warlord titan in the Space Crusade instruction booklet, that alone probably got me into 40k (and of course the Squat/Khorne berserker standoff)

Jim30
23-02-2012, 18:13
Oh gods yes yes yes!

I got Heroquest for my 11th Birthday back in 1990, and it quickly got a whole street of kids (seriously I'm talking about 8-10 kids) hooked. Between us we all got into GW for a period of at least 1-2 years, and then over time others dropped out. I'm still a wargamer 22 years later, although last years shenanigans made me lose interest in the GW side of the hobby.
Heroquest worked because it was visual, was far better quality than other boardgames, and had immense replay value - we ran characters for ages acquiring all the gear in the arsenal, prior to starting all over again. It wasa genuinely brilliant and highly addictive intro system, and one that I would argue made GW a financial success in the 1990s.

Would a reissue of HQ work though? Personally I highly doubt it - kids today have higher expectations of games, and have been spoilt by things like video gaming. I just cant see it capturing the widespread imagination of a whole generation of youths again. Also, I think it wouldn't work in GWs favour - their policy appears to be to get people into stores to get them hooked earlier and earlier, and a heroquest buy may not push people into their stores - it would get kids their whole 'alternative fantasy / goth' fix and then they'd move on prior to hitting the stores. Also it would be a difficult thing to do the sort of partnership with MB again due to different sales policies now.

iamjack42
23-02-2012, 18:23
I have a copy of Heroquest and still play regularly. My wife likes it a lot, and it's a lot easier to get a game in regularly.

Sgt John Keel
23-02-2012, 20:01
I did say that my first contact with GW was HeroQuest, but I don't think it has much relation to my decision to play Fantasy and 40k (except for being an outlet for my geeky sense of fun). For one, we didn't know that it was a GW game until after the fact (as we didn't have any relation to the brand), and it didn't gave any of the hobby aspects I associate with proper miniatures games.

It might have had something to do with my preference for elves, though.

Bloodknight
23-02-2012, 21:59
it was too simplistic

Try being the bad guy and playing with actual tactics instead of rushing the heroes with every monster they discover. It can be challenging for both sides instead of just a random dicefest. I once ran away with almost everything just to launch a massed assault with goblins on a party, that was fun. No hero made it out alive ^^.

The same counts for space crusade, you can actually pull off cool stuff with some experience in tactical games. I played through the campaign recently and enjoyed it even more than I think I did as a kid. (apart from the dreadnought expansion, that was kind of lame).

I'd have to play Battlemasters again, though. I seem to remember that the guy plaing the bad guys hardly ever won, the cards for them sucked.

paddyalexander
23-02-2012, 22:54
Unfortunetly my game has long since scattered to the four winds. I still have the odd model or will come across a card or two. I recently found the fireplace, a book case and the tomb mixed in with some of my sisters old doll house furniture while cleaning out the attic. From taking it to school with me many of the models got broken or stolen. A friend spilled orange juice on the board which started to peal.

I'm genuinely curious if the game would live up to my memories of it or is it all nostalgia.

The popularity of FFGs' Descent, Mantics' Dwarf Kings Hold games and even Legos' Heroica games show that the market for these games is still there. Right now gwPLC have no gateway games on the market.

My Nephew will be listing Havok, AT-43, Heroica and Moshi Monsters as his gateway games in 15 years time. In another year or two he'll be playing Descent. A few years after that Warmachine and Dystopian Wars. There are people I know in the hobby who have started in the last 5 years who have never played a gwPLC game or have only experienced their IP trough FFG products or computer games. They need a product like Heroquest again to get people into the gwPLC Hobby TM without requiring them to drop €300 to play a game. With any luck enough will survive the 6 months of that experience and emerge as tabletop gamers/hobbists.

TheMav80
23-02-2012, 23:15
I owned HeroQuest and Battle Masters as a kid, but it never translated over into playing GW games. It was only a couple years ago (after I had been playing 40K and Fantasy for a few years already) that I found out it was actually supposed to be a GW gateway.

Sleazy
24-02-2012, 10:19
I still have my copies of HQ and AHQ. A few years ago I showed a friends kids (aged around 9) it and we played a game, they loved it and got their mother to buy them a copy off ebay, they now are both heavily into 40k so it still works as a gateway now!

Last year I was at a carboot sale in Hexham and someone had an absolutely mint copy for sale, he said it had been in his attic for the last 20 years, nothing was painted or even looked used! Feigning slight interest I enquired how much?

3!!!

Born Again
24-02-2012, 11:23
I voted that it was what got me started, but it wasn't as clear cut as going from HQ to other games. My older brother got HeroQuest for Xmas one year, and I always enjoyed playing it and liked the feel and the models, though we never painted them. When I got in to Warhammer Fantasy before quickly switching to 40k a couple of years later, I initially didn't realise they were made by the same company. So it was the first miniatures game I played, yes, but it wasn't a gateway as such as 40k was an independent, if related, discovery.

bosky
24-02-2012, 21:02
Close, but my gateway was instead Advanced Heroquest. I still have it (and the Terror in the Dark) expansion and actually try to bust it out once a year or so. Still a tremendously fun game. When I first got it (age 10) I couldn't learn or understand the rules and didn't have anyone to teach me, so my friends and I basically just made up how to play. Dice were involved, but I remember "the fireball spell" clearing everything in the room, like some wacky special weapon from an old arcade game.

Whitwort Stormbringer
25-02-2012, 00:41
I got into HeroQuest as a kid because our uncle got us started on D&D, and then things kind of snowballed from there. So I don't know that HeroQuest is necessarily the gateway game in my case, but definitely one of the earliest games I played.

Sheena Easton
25-02-2012, 14:54
Started on Heroquest and even bought my first GW models on the back of it (a pack of 3 psychostyrene Dwarfs and pack of 2 Marauder Trolls) for use in some self designed adventures.

Rogue
25-02-2012, 15:14
Heroes Quest was the gateway drug to my plastic additction for me, that and battle masters. I do remember great times with my friends playing that game. I dont think that I have much of anything left of the game pieces.

Pacific
26-02-2012, 00:59
Definitely for me (as well as Space Crusade). Pretty sure it was on the shelves of a Toys'r'Us, and bought as a birthday present.

Although it is impossible to say for sure, had it not been for that game it might have been some time later that I got into GW stuff. I think all of them were a fantastic hook for the wargaming hobby, even if by themselves they weren't that much of a revenue spinner.

Torga_DW
26-02-2012, 05:07
Like i said in the other thread, i started with heroquest. It wasn't really a gateway drug for me though, because there wasn't enough information about games workshop for me to move on to. As i recall, there was a little blurb on the side of the box that said you could mail away to receive a pot of paint and a brush or something. And in any event, i was already the sort of person that was into rpgs and the like. It took stumbling across an issue of white dwarf in a newsagent and being drawn in to the cool picture on the front to make me buy it and read it and become aware of what was available.

So, in short. I think a gateway game is a good idea, IF done properly. Ie at least a pamphlet or something inside that actively promoted games workshop. For me, heroquest was a really cool game that i loved immensely, but certainly not a gateway drug into games workshop.

edit: minor clarification

gutsmaka
26-02-2012, 09:46
how about... I'm under 25, played heroquest before 40k or LOTR but didnt make the connection between the two games untill a few years after I started wargaming in ernest (I dont read company names on boxes and was thrilled when my old awsome game was mad by the same company who made my new awsome game :) )

Lord Byte
26-02-2012, 12:56
I played the **** out of Heroquest, a friend brought it to school once :) Later I got his copy and it actually was the start for me to build my own role-playing game long before I heard they even existed. I also got Star Quest (that's what they called Space Crusade over here) and When much much later I found out about actual RPG's, war-gaming and such and where to buy them I did make the connection the moment I walked into the store. Good times!
Sadly I destroyed my copy moving, still have the minis which I use for kitbashing!

Nuada
26-02-2012, 14:44
Slightly off topic....... How does warhammerquest compare to heroquest? (or ad. HQ)

benvoliothefirst
26-02-2012, 20:15
Glad to see this thread, as it's a story I've often told people. I was introduced to HeroQuest at a friend's house, and from the first game I was hooked on the hobby. We must've spent every weekend for a year playing, laughing until root beer squirted out our noses onto the board and gaming late into the night. His dad taught me how to paint models and I've been doing it ever since. I remember seeing a little glossy paper flyer in my HeroQuest box that advertised the upcoming supplements, Advanced HeroQuest and something called Warhammer... from that point on I was hooked.

It took my friends some time to convince me to make the jump to full-fledged Warhammer though... at first I looked at the time and cost involved and said, "No way!" But after playing a few trial games with friends' armies I came around.

ColShaw
26-02-2012, 21:22
I started HeroQuest when I was 10, long before I even knew GW existed. I just thought it was an awesome game. Painted the models (badly), bought the expansions (except one... damn my incomplete collection!) and loved it practically to death.

de Selby
28-02-2012, 21:12
*Raises hand*

First game 1989 I think. I also have Kellar's Keep and Wizards of Morcar. And I painted everything with enamel paints (not strictly true; I only painted the bits that needed it. For example, the orcs were green plastic and so only needed the brown leather bits and metal doing).

I'd love to see GW release a new version (Warhammer quest, whatever).

Vaulkhar
28-02-2012, 23:38
Mix of Space Crusade and HeroQuest, then a detour into historical gaming before getting into 40K. So not HQ per se, but near enough.

AndrewGPaul
29-02-2012, 12:27
I got started with Advanced Heroquest, Space Hulk and 1st edition Space Marine. After AHQ, Heroquest was a bit of a step back - limited customisation, short quests and worst of all, all the mosnters only had 1 HP.

iamjack42
29-02-2012, 14:53
worst of all, all the monsters only had 1 HP.

You mean other than the Mummy, Fimir, Chaos Warrior, and Gargoyle?

shelfunit.
29-02-2012, 15:10
You mean other than the Mummy, Fimir, Chaos Warrior, and Gargoyle?

Nope - they all had just the 1 as well - at least in the base game.

iamjack42
29-02-2012, 15:33
Nope - they all had just the 1 as well - at least in the base game.

Maybe it was changed at some point and my edition is later, but I have the game and still play it regularly. The Fimir has 2 HP (Body Points, as called in the game), the Mummy, Chaos Warrior and Gargoyle each have 3, I believe.

And this is the base game, I've never had the opportunity to enjoy the expansions.

Edit: Perhaps this is because I have the U.S. version? Wikipedia indicates that it is a slightly different version, so perhaps that is one of the changes.

shelfunit.
29-02-2012, 15:41
Maybe it was changed at some point and my edition is later, but I have the game and still play it regularly. The Fimir has 2 HP (Body Points, as called in the game), the Mummy, Chaos Warrior and Gargoyle each have 3, I believe.

And this is the base game, I've never had the opportunity to enjoy the expansions.

Edit: Perhaps this is because I have the U.S. version? Wikipedia indicates that it is a slightly different version, so perhaps that is one of the changes.

I was about to ask when/where you got it - I know in some of the uk expansions there are monster with more than one body point - the game would have been a lot harder with the bigger monsters being tougher - although I suppose at that time I was too young to do anything outside the rules.

SunTzu
29-02-2012, 15:44
ISTR that we house-ruled (before even knowing what a house-rule was!) multiple wounds for the monsters. Killing a goblin in one hit is fine, killing a Gargoyle in one hit seemed silly. No idea if the US version was different.

But I could be misremembering. This was more than 25 years ago I think... wait... when was HQ released?

ColShaw
29-02-2012, 16:00
The version of HQ I had included Body Points as a stat for the monsters. So a Goblin had 1 Defense Die and 1 Body Point, a Gargoyle had 5 Defense Dice(!) and 3 Body Points.

Then you'd get into the expansion sents, which had Ogres with 10 Body Points :eek:!

SunTzu
29-02-2012, 16:12
I remember having a "wound track" for Ogres... each hit you did, you'd cross off a wound on the track... so it was quite possible for the Barbarian to do 4 points of damage and not kill anything, then the Wizard to fluke 1 point on a different Ogre and kill it. Which sounds ridiculous, but actually worked out just fine (perhaps in part because obviously-silly situations like that didn't occur that often) and certainly made for quite an elegant way of dealing with multi-wound monsters without obsessing over which one had how many wounds.

I don't remember them having as many as 10 BPs though. More like 4-6 normally, I thought. But again... it was a long time ago.

shelfunit.
29-02-2012, 16:12
But I could be misremembering. This was more than 25 years ago I think... wait... when was HQ released?

1989 - a good year :)

Shadowheart
29-02-2012, 17:45
The UK/European version had only one body point per monster. The US version, which came out a bit later, differs in both rules and aesthetics. Some monsters got extra body points, the maps (including those of the first two expansions) were rejigged a bit, there was an armoury instead of equipment cards... probably some more stuff I'm forgetting. They also tweaked the look and feel of it to be a bit more cartoony, like changing Morcar's name to Zargon.

Not that it mattered much how many defence dice or body points you gave the monsters, since there's only a one in six change of rolling a black shield anyway. One of the bigger failings of the game is how anticlimactic the boss fights were, especially if the heroes were clever enough to save a few spells and potions for them.

ColShaw
29-02-2012, 18:48
The UK/European version had only one body point per monster. The US version, which came out a bit later, differs in both rules and aesthetics. Some monsters got extra body points, the maps (including those of the first two expansions) were rejigged a bit, there was an armoury instead of equipment cards... probably some more stuff I'm forgetting. They also tweaked the look and feel of it to be a bit more cartoony, like changing Morcar's name to Zargon.

Not that it mattered much how many defence dice or body points you gave the monsters, since there's only a one in six change of rolling a black shield anyway. One of the bigger failings of the game is how anticlimactic the boss fights were, especially if the heroes were clever enough to save a few spells and potions for them.

True enough. Though, for some reason, plain ol' Zombies had an alarming tendency to roll 2 (or even 3!) black shields and just refuse to die. We used to joke they had enough spare body parts that they didn't care when you lopped off a leg.

I remember a boss fight which pretty much involved the Wizard blowing the boss monster away with a Genie spell, followed by a SECOND Genie (stored in the Spell Ring and cast with the Wand of Magic). 10 dice of damage at one go... ouch!

Bloodknight
29-02-2012, 23:31
The US version of HQ had monsters with up to 3 body points, in the european version they all have only one, at least till the Ogre Hordes expansion. We Euros also missed out on the Barbarian and Elf quest books.

edit: didn't read Shadowheart's post, I apologize.

(including those of the first two expansions

The EU version of the basic game also had two different quest books. I have 2 copies, in one of them the first quest is called "the Maze", in the other one it's a different quest which name I don't remember at the moment, but which is different.

Sheena Easton
29-02-2012, 23:54
They should just modernize and reissue HQ - with some stunning new sculpts of course (though using the WHQ characters apart from the Elf would work)

The EU version of the basic game also had two different quest books. I have 2 copies, in one of them the first quest is called "the Maze", in the other one it's a different quest which name I don't remember at the moment, but which is different.

That is because of the later "Advanced Edition" that had the additional quests and the WOM Mercenaries added in.

Nuada
01-03-2012, 00:52
They should just modernize and reissue HQ - with some stunning new sculpts of course (though using the WHQ characters apart from the Elf would work).
I'm not sure GW can do that..... (i think i'm right about this)...... the HQ game was designed by MB games (steve barber i think??) Games Workshop worked alongside MB games, their part was to make the figures and set the game in the Old World.

The game was such a success that GW then decided to release their own version of HQ, called WarhammerQuest

GW might have bought the rights to HQ ??

Bloodknight
01-03-2012, 01:23
That is because of the later "Advanced Edition" that had the additional quests and the WOM Mercenaries added in.

That had a different box, though. I have the normal one twice, both purchased shrink-wrapped as a kid. Maybe a packing error from inbetween Master's edition and normal.

shelfunit.
01-03-2012, 07:52
The game was such a success that GW then decided to release their own version of HQ, called WarhammerQuest

GW might have bought the rights to HQ ??

Warhammer quest came out years later than Heroquest - the closest to WarhammerQuest is the (superior) Advanced Heroquest, which came out fairly soon after Heroquest and was a complete GW designed/marketed/created product.

AndrewGPaul
01-03-2012, 09:21
GW did that twice - there are Advanced versions of both Heroquest and Space Crusade, although the latter diverges more from the basic game more than AHQ. Advanced Heroquest even had stats for the Heroquest characters, and rules for running the original Heroquest adventures. It did make them significantly harder, though - the Gargoyle got an upgrade to Bloodthirster, and the cramped conditions made things much harder for the players. The one time I tried it, the Wizard died of Mummy Rot halfway through the dungeon.

It also had some cracking Gary Chalk artwork on the Trap, Wandering Monster, etc tokens.

shelfunit.
01-03-2012, 10:10
The one time I tried it, the Wizard died of Mummy Rot halfway through the dungeon.

Haaha - classic! I remember one of the first rooms my players went into and found half a dozen orcs waiting - they got butchered - the characters that is...

It also had some cracking Gary Chalk artwork on the Trap, Wandering Monster, etc tokens.

Heroquest had all the cards etc done by GC as well (a huge bonus) and I think he even did all the boards and floor plans for both games too.

thenamelessdead
01-03-2012, 17:19
It started with playing with my friend's copy of Heroquest, then I got Space Crusade afterwards. Halcyon days. What do youngsters start with now? They probably don't even start as much as they used to I suppose.

Cold_Blooded
01-03-2012, 17:59
I started playing Hero Quest when I was a youngster, then moved onto Battle Masters. From there I used the Orcs and Goblins to make a small army and fight over the tower from the Battle Masters set with my own rules, usually fudging the dice rolls and making up new rules so the Orcs tended to win. I was 11 and playing against myself here. I then discovered Games Workshop and ended up buying the 4th edition boxed set, of lethal spear goblins and cardboard cut out fame. I'd have probably stuck with the Orcs had the Lizardmen not been in the next edition starter kit too.
A couple of summers back my brother found Hero Quest and all the expansions at a car boot sale for a 5. Me as the Evil Wizard, him as the Barbarian, his fiancee as the Dwarf and my other half as the Wizard spent a happy summer playing through the whole game again. By half way through however with everyone in chain mail and packing broadswords and crossbows we'd evolved a whole host of rules for character growth, followers, abilities and so on. In a history repeating itself way we've now gotten into playing Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. We were going to flog Hero Quest on ebay but instead we've put it in the attic so that in a few years time his son can have it and hopefully get into it too.

ColShaw
01-03-2012, 19:15
Don't sell it! Keep it! The next generation will love it.

When I was a little boy, one of the things I loved about visiting my grandparents was going up into their attic with my brother and pulling out the toys they'd played with as young 'uns. Many a marvelous visit was spent playing with Skyline sets (old plastic skyscraper building-kits) and other things of that sort. :)

Geiserich
01-03-2012, 22:38
Funny, I started as well with Hero Quest. Loved it back then.

Badbones777
20-03-2012, 13:42
Yes, I got HeroQuest sometime around my 6th Birthday I think. Or possibly it was Christmas. Anyway yeah, played that with my dad and my mates, and then Space Crusade and similar games. I
was also heavily into the fighting fantasy gamebooks and so forth and got into 4th ed WFB sometime around 1994.

Odin
21-03-2012, 00:22
I'm not surprised by the results, but I am very surprised that GW have never really sought to repeat the success of Heroquest - the company's huge expansion in the 90s was pretty much built on it, as far as I can tell.

xavos
21-03-2012, 11:59
I started out with Space Crusade and Advanced HeroQuest but went the 40K route instead of Fantasy.

Patriarch
21-03-2012, 23:34
I didn't play it when it came out but threads like this convinced me to buy a set and paint it up for my daughters.

This evening they are part way through the quest to kill the Orc chief..

Next project (after GK) is to paint up the ebay Space Crusade set...

Patriarch
21-03-2012, 23:38
Double post...

Abaraxas
22-03-2012, 07:27
Count me in.
My cousin had fantasy elves and some harlequins in I think 88, but a friend of mine got heroquest whenever that came out-I never had the game but did get the "return of the witch king" supplement...space crusade really got me though.

Good times, I got a copy of space crusade again a couple of years ago-so cool.

myrdinn
22-03-2012, 14:36
Was bought HeroQuest after seeing the TV ads, then shortly afterwards discovered that Orc's Nest had a store in St Albans and bought a mashup collection of random metal Orcs and Dwarfs and some plastic Skeletons (remember when you got about 50, including cavalry and a chariot, for about 20?). Then got Space Crusade, Battle Masters, Advanced HeroQuest and Advanced Space Crusade and I think some GW Top Trumps as well (anyone remember that?)

Then, if my chronology is accurate, the first boxed game of WFB came out and that's when it really kicked off ...

toco
04-09-2012, 13:57
An awful lot of people in the "where did you start" thread mentioned HeroQuest as their first introduction to the hobby. I'm curious as to how many of us got hooked that way?

The vanilla HeroQuest was my gateway game into miniature games. I went a long way but eventually returned to the mod "Allied HeroQuest" after 15 years ...

Scrotrot
04-09-2012, 18:16
Heroquest for Christmas, then I fell in love with the painted minis books inside so my Mum took m to the Games workshop in Liverpool and it just exploded from there.

nedius
04-09-2012, 20:32
I still have Hero Quest! Still play it!!

williamsond
04-09-2012, 22:15
It was the game that moved me from fighting fantasy books to war gaming.

Finnigan2004
05-09-2012, 03:19
Blood bowl. Still the best game ever.

spaint2k
05-09-2012, 07:12
I'm not surprised by the results, but I am very surprised that GW have never really sought to repeat the success of Heroquest - the company's huge expansion in the 90s was pretty much built on it, as far as I can tell.

The poll - and your memories - have a bias. For the most part only people into Heroquest (or those who remember Heroquest) will even bother looking at this thread.

I started off with Rogue Trader back in 87/88. I never got into Heroquest - though I may have had a friend or two who did - and most of my wargame friends were already into 40k before games like Space Crusade, Heroquest and Space Hulk came out. Of the three, I'd say Space Hulk had the biggest gateway effect on our non-gaming buddies.

williamsond
05-09-2012, 13:59
I think I'm going to have to buy hero quest from E bay...

shelfunit.
05-09-2012, 15:02
I think I'm going to have to buy hero quest from E bay...

It can go for a fair amount, but you should be able to get a complete copy for 30-45 with a bit of patience. You might like to have a look here (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/699/heroquest) for a decent amount of info and fun stuff on the game.

Harwammer
05-09-2012, 17:42
Fighting Fantasy books.

shelfunit.
05-09-2012, 18:05
Fighting Fantasy books.

And Lone Wolf - always great to see Gary Chalk's artwork, which links it nicely into Heroquest, as he did most of the artwork for that too.

gunmonkey
05-09-2012, 23:57
And Lone Wolf - always great to see Gary Chalk's artwork, which links it nicely into Heroquest, as he did most of the artwork for that too.

Had a ton of those, and got the 2nd book of the reprint but missed the 1st when the bookshop it was in closed.

dijital_llama
06-09-2012, 00:08
... and I think some GW Top Trumps as well (anyone remember that?)..

Yep they were called Citadel Combat Cards! I've still got a few decks

Tupinamba
06-09-2012, 00:30
HQ got me into RPG and RPG got me into Warhammer, many years afterwards. Id say HQ was the gateway drug in the sense of showing me fantasy miniatures and games.

x-esiv-4c
07-09-2012, 18:27
Heroquest got me hooked. Been downhill since.