PDA

View Full Version : What types of rubric marine units could there be?

Fear is the mind killer
25-02-2012, 10:14
If I were to create a Thousand Sons army and wanted to make some rubric marines riding bikes, would you consider this impossible or unfluffy? What about rubric marines wearing jump packs? I know that the old 1K Sons list was very restrictive about what units could be marked by Tzeentch, but personally I think that since rubric marines can aim, shoot, walk, run (slowly), embark, disembark, and fight in close combat with as much skill as a space marine even when there is no sorcerer to guide them, then they have the mental capacity to ride a bike or operate a jump pack. What is the general consensus of the 40k community on this?

xxRavenxx
25-02-2012, 10:17
I think their slow reaction times would probably make them very dangerous on motorcycles or flying machines :)

Its one of those things isn't it? If you like it, go do it. If you want fluffy, I'm pretty sure its a two entry list of basic marines with bolters, and terminators.

Poncho160
25-02-2012, 10:23
From reading Battle of the Fang, I get the impression that Rubric Marines are capable of anything normal marines are, as long as there is a sorcerer around.

They arent slow and can go toe to toe with a Space Wolf in hand to hand. They just seem to lack iniative and will not act on thier own. Thats why they need a sorcerer around.

MajorWesJanson
25-02-2012, 11:27
From reading Battle of the Fang, I get the impression that Rubric Marines are capable of anything normal marines are, as long as there is a sorcerer around.

They arent slow and can go toe to toe with a Space Wolf in hand to hand. They just seem to lack iniative and will not act on thier own. Thats why they need a sorcerer around.

Ruleswise, that sounds like it would be eeasy to simulate- just give them Mindlock if they are not with a Sorcerer or Aspiring sorcerer. Then let them take bikes, jump packs, or terminator armor, or multiple heavy weapons.

Fear is the mind killer
25-02-2012, 12:44
Mindlock is pretty harsh. Surely The Sorcerer Commands is more suitable a penalty as that is what the standard marines have?

Thanks for the feedback so far folks.

Gorbad Ironclaw
25-02-2012, 14:56
If you want fluffy, I'm pretty sure its a two entry list of basic marines with bolters, and terminators.

See, personally I'd say that if you wanted a fluffy Sons list it would include every kind of marine, only they would be Sons. They had all kinds before, I see no reason why they would have them still. If they really were so adversely affected by the Rubric that they started being unable to perform many of the roles/use many of the weapons that other Space Marines can do they should have a very different stat line and basically would have been wiped out/destroyed long ago.

DEADMARSH
25-02-2012, 18:20
I think their slow reaction times would probably make them very dangerous on motorcycles or flying machines :)

Its one of those things isn't it? If you like it, go do it. If you want fluffy, I'm pretty sure its a two entry list of basic marines with bolters, and terminators.

What about instead of "bikes" they were daemons or discs or something analogous? A sentient transport for a Thousand Son? Takes the onus off the reaction time...

Chem-Dog
25-02-2012, 18:36
To be honest I would leave Rubric Marines exactly as they are, mindless automatons that are slaves to the will of the Sorcerers.
But then. I would make the Sorcerers properly pimp.
Want fast Rubrics...there's a spell for that.
Want tougher Rubrics...there's a spell for that.
Want blasty super shooty Rubrics...there's a spell for that.

Think Warlock powers...on crack. You could theme it (theoretically) on the different disciplines of the Thousand Sons.

keatsmeister
25-02-2012, 20:01
Well, as you know I'm not opposed to Sons being used for other units, hell the first thing I did when I got my Contemptor Dreadnought was make it a Thousand Sons Dread, as it is begging for a sorceror conversion.

For me, the whole idea behind Rubric Thousand Sons being "Slow and Purposeful" was never that they were slow, far from it - the idea was for players to see a unit that is implacable in advance, so utterly unconcerned with being harmed, as they have no body to harm. They have no need to close into melee or close quarters as they have the ranged firepower to wither away at their opponent, supported by sorcerors, and can absorb pretty much anything thrown at them. Of course, the fact that they have little initiative of their own means they are less likely to make decisions, like the decision to charge, and so slowly advancing into the enemy works out fine for them.

Chem-Dogs idea of making the variation in units a flavour of sorceror pimping-out is an interesting route to look at though. Left to their own devices, Rubric Marines will just advance and shoot until they get close enough to reach close combat. Given additional impetus by the will of a sorceror, the thought of Rubric Assault Marines is intriguing...

MajorWesJanson
25-02-2012, 20:45
Mindlock is pretty harsh. Surely The Sorcerer Commands is more suitable a penalty as that is what the standard marines have?

Thanks for the feedback so far folks.

Well, I'd take away Slow and Purposeful for Rubric Marines, and leave that to Plague Marines. Mindlock unless with a sorcerer or Tzeentch IC, and also Relentless.

Fear is the mind killer
25-02-2012, 20:59
I don't want any changes to be too drastic, so I'll save the awesome psychic powers for when me and Keats get round to finishing off the Prodigal Sons list. :)

Okay, the general consensus seems to be that rubric marines are capable of riding bikes and wearing jump packs, or at least would be able to do things that are as complicated. It seems that they are not stupid as such, but have very little self-motivation or self-control, making them ideal puppets and very Tzeentchy, so they could do even the most complicated tasks but would still just do as they were told by the sorcerors.

We will be adding some disc-riding units as well. :)

Charistoph
25-02-2012, 21:59
The big downside is the SnP rule that the current Rubric Marines have. A unit is not really viable if it considers any movement Dangerous, especially when the purpose behind those units is to move quickly.

It could be viable if SnP was traded for Relentless while with a Sorcerer, but the unit cannot Run or Turboboost. I'd also consider removing Sweeping Advance when a Sorcerer is absent ala Terminators.

Fear is the mind killer
26-02-2012, 09:19
SnP doesn't make all movement count as if in dangerous terrain, just as if in difficult terrain. I will make it as clear as possible that if a unit is SnP and jump infantry or a biker that it only takes a dangerous terrain test if actually in difficult terrain.

Charistoph
26-02-2012, 20:08
SnP doesn't make all movement count as if in dangerous terrain, just as if in difficult terrain.

And Difficult Terrain is Dangerous for Bikers and Jumping Infantry, yes? But they get to move through it normally (with the exception of Jumping Assault).

I will make it as clear as possible that if a unit is SnP and jump infantry or a biker that it only takes a dangerous terrain test if actually in difficult terrain.

Since you're going to have to make this acceptable to your fellow players, they're the ones you're going to have to convince them to allow you to violate these standard rules.

bildo
26-02-2012, 20:14
if you are going flufyf, remember that normal rubics wouldnt have the fancy head crests that gw insists on giving them, only the library guardians wore them, they were the some of the most trusted marines that magnus had, and there wasnt many of them, if i remember correctly they were psykers so wouldnt even have become rubics.

thesheriff
26-02-2012, 21:31
I reckon an easy way to compenaste for it would to be to limit yourself in the sense that any unit you have that is not a standard thousands son unit, should have a sorcerer with them.

For example, if you wanted a bike unit, you would need to take a Sorcerer on a Bike with them.

thesheriff