PDA

View Full Version : Friend starting Necrons, Whats good and what to get?

Merellin
28-02-2012, 10:41
So a friend is wanting to start necrons and called me from work asking me to do some research for him of what units are good and what units to get for a necron army. He's going to the store in about 3 and a half hours so I desided to ask here while reading. What would you recomend for him to get?

TrueKin
28-02-2012, 10:49
If he's thinking of getting to playing as soon as possible, I reckon 20 Warriors, an Overlord and some vehicle should add up to enough points for a playable list. The codex would be kinda obvious thing to get too. ;)

As far as I know, there's no bad choice in the book, and he should be able to use about anything he likes without causing too much difficulties for himself.

beanerboy
28-02-2012, 11:41
The Battle force does not look like a bad way to start, an over lord as well an you have what looks like a good start.

I'm tempted by two Battle Forces and a OverLord to start my army.

Beaner

Merellin
28-02-2012, 12:41
Thanks for the awnsers, He just called again and I deliverd the information I found to him ^_^

IcedCrow
28-02-2012, 13:18
Two battle forces would give him a solid core. Then just pick up a lord model. Go from there.

Fawful
28-02-2012, 13:41
I'd start with the battleforce at the very least. Pick up either an overlord model or a annihilation barge (which comes with a plastic overlord). Then try out warriors and immortals to see which he prefers and go from there. Keep in mind that there is rumoured to be another wave quite soon which should include some good models (rules wise) so he might want to hold off on purchasing a big army right from the get go only to find out that he prefers the other models.

Draconis
28-02-2012, 14:54
Like Fawful said, just buy the battle force and an annihilation barge. It gives you a heavy support and it comes with a lord. Look at my project cron link in my sig to see what the models look like.

Tiu
28-02-2012, 18:16
Yup, battleforce and annihilation barge seems like the best choice atm. Gives him 2-3 troops (depending on how he decides to field the warriors, and if he decides on deathmarks or immortals), 0-1 elites (deathmarks, if you dont want immortals), 0-2 heavy support (annihilation barge, doomsday ark), 0-2 dedicated transports (command barge, ghost ark), and 1 HQ. Some stuff can be kept interchangeable (annihliation/command barge, ghost/doomsday ark with a bit of work), so all in all, its a flexible core for an army, which doesnt actually limit you that much in your decisions on how to expand it.