PDA

View Full Version : Tha "Billy Clubs" (Ogres 2500pts)

Dreadgrass
03-03-2012, 05:16
Hi all!

Working on some ogres on the side whilst my Necromancers are busy raising a new host. I'd like any feedback you could give on my list:

LORDS - 360pts

"Auntie" Jack
Slaughtermaster
Lvl.4 (Beasts)
GW, Hellheart, Opal amulet
My General, sits in the 2nd rank of the Irongut unit and pumps out Beasts Buffs. Also thought he'd be a good place for the Hellheart as they'll be in the thick of things.

HEROES - 624pts

"Billy" Bob
Bruiser (BSB)
Heavy Armour, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield

"Billy" Ray
Bruiser
Heavy Armour, Ironfist, Talisman of Endurance, Dragonhelm

"Billy" Jean
Bruiser
Ironfist, Glittering Scales
The front rank of the Irongut unit. Built to be tough and durable but still dish out a good amount of S5 attacks coupled with the S6 GW's in the rank behind.

"Neighbour" John
Butcher
lvl.2 (Maw)
Ironfist, Scroll of Shielding
Support mage. Allows the lord to take Beasts and backs him up if Beasts fails/ gets dispelled.

CORE - 634pts

Tha "Billy Clubs"
8x Ironguts
full command
Dragonhide
The characters bus. Dragonhide has some good synergies with this unit and it's cargo.

Gits, Grots, Grubs, and groupies
4 units of:
10x Gnoblars
Trappers
Chaff units and re-directors that can cause some damage with dangerous terrain tests.

SPECIAL - 707pts

Tha Thunderin' Rollas
3x Mournfang cavalry
full command, Banner of Eternal Flame

Tha Rollin' Thundas
3x Mournfang cavalry
full command, Gleaming Pennant
Supporting hammers, they're there to support the mainline and deal with flankers/ minor threats whilst "the clubs" get stuck in.

Tha Boomas
3x Leadbelchers
champion, musician
Bodyguard for the Butcher and another support unit. Generally kept near the rear to protect them and gun down light flyers and flanking units.

The Dawgs
3 units of:
1x Sabretusk
more chaff and redirectors. Also fast and nimble enough to slip around/ between units to threaten warmachines and the like.

RARE - ***pts

Tha Dinna Bell
1x Iron Blaster

So essentially it's a Deathstar list with a few differences. I like having all the Bruisers combined with the potential of Pann's or Savage Beast. Even wildform and the lore of the Maw buffs would suffice against most enemies, especially combined with the re-rolls on the charge and the ASL-causing breath weapon.

The sheer volume of chaff is to give me more control in the "charge or be charged" game, as well as over deployment.

So, what do we think? viable? What should I change?

Mutter
03-03-2012, 17:49
I think only one unit of mournfangs can have a magical banner ...

10_minute_pie
06-03-2012, 01:25
Don't see the point of the Leadbelcher champion really, drop him and turn scroll of shielding into a D.Scroll, its just too good not to take, especially with a star full of I2 characters (shielding won't save you from Purple Sun). I'd also drop the Butcher to L1, and give him beasts. Make him the dedicated Wildform guys, while the SM gets the unit regen and more S/T. That said, getting Savage Beast off on the unit full of characters would get pretty silly, so I can see why you want a Beast Lord. Finally, one of your Heroes needs a magic weapon (turn glittering scales into fencer's blades?). You'll feel awful silly when a VC player drops three bases of spirit hosts, or a couple wraiths in front of the character bus, and they spend the next 3 turns winning combat by 2. Doing so would also allow you to switch Dragon banner for fire banner, and still be able to deal with Fireproof enemy Characters.

Dreadgrass
08-03-2012, 23:01
Thanks for the advice!

I have a slightly adjusted list for your perusal:

LORDS - 360pts

"Auntie" Jack
Slaughtermaster
Lvl.4 (Beasts)
GW, Hellheart, Opal amulet

HEROES - 617pts

"Billy" Bob
Bruiser (BSB)
Heavy Armour, Ironfist, Talisman of Preservation, Warriorbane

"Billy" Ray
Bruiser
Heavy Armour, Ironfist, Sword of Battle, Dragonhelm

"Billy" Jean
Bruiser
Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Biting blade

"Neighbour" John
Butcher
lvl.2 (Maw)
Ironfist, Dispel Scroll

CORE - 634pts

Tha "Billy Clubs"
8x Ironguts
full command
Dragonhide

Gits, Grots, Grubs, and groupies
4 units of:
10x Gnoblars
Trappers

SPECIAL - 724pts

Tha Rollin' Thundas
4x Mournfang cavalry
full command, Ironfists, Heavy armour, Gleaming Pennant
Supporting hammers, they're there to support the mainline and deal with flankers/ minor threats whilst "the clubs" get stuck in.

OR

2 Units of:
2x Mournfang cavalry
champion, Ironfists, Heavy armour

Tha Boomas
5x Maneaters
full command, Heavy Armour, 3x Brace of Handguns, Banner of Eternal flame

The Dawgs
3 units of:
1x Sabretusk
more chaff and redirectors. Also fast and nimble enough to slip around/ between units to threaten warmachines and the like.

RARE - ***pts

Tha Dinna Bell
1x Iron Blaster

So essentially I cut back the defences on the Bruisers and re-jigged a few small points to get magic weapons and a D. Scroll. Also grabbed the maneaters as a Butcher bodyguard/ flaming shooter/ secondary combat unit and condensed down to 1 Mournfang unit (or 2 small ones possibly?) By dropping the other Mournfang unit and the leadies.

What do we think of the changes? Any further advise?

10_minute_pie
09-03-2012, 01:27
Iron fist + enchanted shield is Illegal, since both are shields.

Dreadgrass
09-03-2012, 01:31
My bad, should be Heavy armour. Copy and paste you have failed me again! Will edit.