PDA

View Full Version : Eboli's WHQ 3D Egyptian Dungeon

Eboli
16-03-2012, 01:00
Hi all,

As suggested I am attaching a few images of the dungeon pieces I have created in the last few weeks. These are made out of Hydrostone plaster using Hirst Egyptian molds. Sort of like lego pieces for adults The two white pieces have yet to be painted or finished.

Each piece will be glued onto 4cm foam layer (painted black) so I can take advantage of pits, chasms, wells and staircases. The wall section and half tile space remaining is classed as a no go area so this allows me to add "eye candy" to the walls etc. I have still yet to work out whether I will make the dungeon dirty by adding rubble etc.

At this point I am creating pieces as to my 6 year old son's wishes/wants so I am not particularly sticking directly to WHQ rooms but we have a deal where I can create a piece according to my needs to every piece I make for him. As long as he is happy.

I have am just in the process of painting the 2 last pieces from white plaster to sandstone so I will show what they look like in my next post.

Cheers!
Eboli.

Shas'El Tael
16-03-2012, 16:04
Great to see your thread start up :)

Look forward to further work in progress pieces in time. I don't recall the unpainted sections; new additions? (Might recheck what you posted in my thread)

Either way, good to have a new thread on the forums!

Seb

Daniel36
16-03-2012, 20:47
Very inspirational pieces. I can totally feel the Egyptian vibe. Would be cool to adventure in.

Eboli
16-03-2012, 22:52
Hi all,

Just an update on my latest 2 pieces. These being a 3 way intersection and a general corridor containing a trap pit in the centre. Over the last couple of nights I was able paint the pieces (yellow ochre), seal them using Cabot's Cabothane Clear (water based) and then use Kiwi shoe polish to add the antiquing look to them. This works quite well in my opinion.

What I have found interesting is that I don't need to undercoat each piece and that a water downed version of my yellow ochre paint (Reeves) actually soaks into the hydrostone plaster quite well and does not darken the pieces as much - as to my needs. The PVA wood glue causes a bit of lightening in some areas but in my opinion this just adds a bit of highlighting/texture for the pieces.

I think I need to add a bit of extra colour to the eye candy features on the walls themselves in order to take away from the same so-so look and have to think about whether I need to add some PVA glue "runs" in some corners etc of which I can sprinkle on some white sand to create a seeping sand look. Maybe a few skulls, bones, shields and weapons could also be useful to add atmosphere.

I still have to paint the foam base black and complete the pit trap before sealing the foam for extra toughness.

My son wants me to work on the dungeon entrance so I am thinking 2 tiered with a set of stairs coming down from the outside directly to the first room where a mandatory Events card would be drawn. I think that a few wall columns plus a few blocks containing hieroglyphics would be most appropriate.

Probably won't be able to get into this new build for a few days as it will be a busy weekend and I want to properly finish off all the other pieces first.

Till next time!

13556413556513556613556713556813556913557013557113 5572

Shas'El Tael
17-03-2012, 09:01
Just gorgeous.. unfortunately with all this photo evidence, my heroes will avoid such pitfalls ;)

How do you go about applying the Kiwi polish? Rubbed in with cloth?

Detailing wise, ornaments, discarded weapons.. even drifting sands? Would look great. Certainly the sort of thing you could just keep adding and adding.

- Seb

Eboli
17-03-2012, 09:07
Hey there Seb,

Many thanks for the compliments. I paint the brown kiwi shoe polish liquid on by brush and let it sit for a minute or two and then wipe or dab it off with a tissue. The shoe polish is the one with a spongue that you rub onto the shoe. Looking at the label it is called Kiwi Self Shining Polish. It is thicker than the normal GW wash and thus you have more working time and it tends to stay where you put it.

Cheers! Eboli.

Purplebeard
17-03-2012, 10:03
This looks fantastic.

Velsharoon
17-03-2012, 12:06
It looks amazing, this what all our Tomb King players need to make use of their armies in WHQ. The amount of time needed for hirst arts moulds is scary so well done for seeing it though,

Daniel36
17-03-2012, 12:08
Australia East Coast... That's not too far from the Netherlands... >_<
Let me know when it's finished, hahahah.... Oh how I wish I could play on this.

Andy_T
17-03-2012, 17:39
Looks great, well worth the time and effort!

Eboli
26-03-2012, 03:04
Hi all,

It has been a little while since I have been able to sit back down and start work on a few more pieces but after a couple of evenings I have come up with three new starts. Definitely works in progress.

These being a set of stairs, another 3 way intersection, and a "Entrance Hall".

The 3 way intersection with stairs is at my son's request while the "Entrance Hall" is my chosen construct. As you have noticed I have yet to add walls and base on foam. For the Entrance Hall I am keen to add some colour to the Lotus floor tiles, columns and vases and have learnt my lessons from last time in that it is best to paint before gluing down onto the structure - especially if near walls.

I have called my construct an Entrance Hall as at times I intend on using it as the first room to an adventure with a mandatory Event. By the way I will construct this piece this will allow to be able to place stairs at either entry side.

Thus my next intended piece will be an outside Dungeon Entrance piece. I have an idea of how it will be built but I'll surprise you in a future log.

Cheers!
Eboli.

Shas'El Tael
27-03-2012, 08:41
Wow.. that really is the entrance hall. I can imagine a wave of low scale undead rushing our heroes to overwhelm them at the foot of the steps before the get a chance to press deeper. It has that height that makes you think already.. Not in Kansas anymore.. :)

Gosh.. that really is a great piece Eboli.

Daniel36
27-03-2012, 10:39
Tomb Raider vibe is what I get. But then in a Fantasy world... which is even better.
Oh how I wish I had stuff like this lying around.

Daemonslave
31-03-2012, 16:01
Now this is what a 'Quest 3D board should look like!

Eboli
31-03-2012, 23:48
Hi all,

Just a quick update. A few days ago I finished the 3 way intersection with stairs piece. Just need to paint the foam base black and I am also thinking of painting another coat of clear over all my finished pieces for added protection.

The Entrance Hall is going well and I am now figuing out what type of columns to use and paint scheme. I have one column painted up but need to add the shoe polish technique before I will post up. Floors tiles - have yet to look at. Gotta go!

Shas'El Tael
02-04-2012, 08:30
Really looking good; the chunkiness of the overall block design really lends itself to and Epic encounter. Out of curiousity, what have you been using as inspiration of late?

Harry
02-04-2012, 08:39
Magnificent.
It will take you a while but what an stunning board you will have.

Daniel36
02-04-2012, 08:44
What I really like about this particular dungeon is that, even though it's just corridors and an entrance for now, it actually feels like it would have served a purpose. That's the problem I have with most dungeons is that the reason they seem to exist is simply to have a stage for monsters to perform in. This looks and feels like a proper burial ground for someone very important, and as such would have to be defended by constructs because of all the loot he would have brought with him.

Eboli
04-04-2012, 01:58
Hi all,

Attached are a couple of photographs of the painted column I have prepared for the Entrance Hall. All up there are 6 of them so theoretically I should have them completed over a course of another 4-5 nights while watching tv with my wife. I don't want to add too much colour to the dungeon as a whole but will have to experiment to see what works best. So these columns will just be using red, gold and blue colours on a sandstone background.

I am also looking into experimenting with using temporary tattoo print paper in order to add Egyptian wall paintings to the dungeon. To me I think this may provide a good result as the Egyptian tattoo print is using a very thin medium and thus I can still take advantage of the wall's texture. It may or may not work but I think worth looking at.

Seb - The Hirst Arts website provides me with some good examples to work with as a guide. As I am becoming more knowledgeable to how the blocks compliment each other I will become more adventurous. My son has quite a few Egyptian books so I am going to have a good look at them for inspiration but creating a practical dungeon look for WHQ uses has to take priority.

I have recently got a few Crocodile Games Egyptian miniatures come in from overseas so I may need to get a few photos of them up here as well in a future post. These figures do come with good shield designed so a few plaster copies will be made for dungeon "litter"

Cheers!
Eboli

Daniel36
04-04-2012, 10:55
Ooh I really like those columns. The colour choice is excellent, it really fits the mood. I can understand your apprehension for adding too much colour. Perhaps you could drybrush some of the yellow over the coloured tiles to make them look like the colour has faded over time? That way, there is colour in your dungeon, but the colours become more muted and fade into the background a little more while still providing you with some variety. Just a thought.

Eboli
15-04-2012, 14:52
Hey there everyone. It has been a while since my last update. Life has been keeping me very busy and I have not had much time to work on my 3D dungeon. I have slowly been chipping away at the 'Entrance Hall' and am now finishing the columns which is the last part of the job to do. Should have some photos up soon but just wanted to let you know that things are still happening, albeit slow atm.

Cheers! Eboli

Littlemonk
28-04-2012, 07:00
Really looking forward to seeing more!

Shas'El Tael
05-05-2012, 00:29
I'll second Littlemonk, but as with all good things.. they get showcased in a Warhammer Quest forum for those who wait :D

Eboli
05-05-2012, 23:06
Hi all,

Work on this has slowed down a lot recently. We are preparing our house for selling and my wife has a long list of things for me to do. I am very close to finishing the entrance hall as I actually got to sit down a couple of nights ago and actually do some painting. 1 column left to do, sandstone look paint and shoe polish and it should be done!

My heart is definitely still in this so don't worry guys I am not going away with an incomplete project. Life has created a few distractions at the moment!

Cheers!
Rob.

Purplebeard
06-05-2012, 11:33
Bl***y life - its so inconsiderate sometimes :D

Looking forward to more ;)

Eboli
15-06-2012, 23:40
Bl***y life - its so inconsiderate sometimes :D

Looking forward to more ;)

Hi all, after a very busy month and a bit for renovating kitchen, painting rooms and other life's responsibilities I have been able to get some work on my project. Can confirm that I have finished my Entrance Hall and my son choosing a water feature for the next room I have just started on. Having 'fun' casting the blocks atm. Will get some photos up asap.

Cheers Rob.

Purplebeard
16-06-2012, 18:31
Sssh! Don't use names. People might get the impression that I'm not crazy and don't have a purple beard and mohican :shifty:

Harry
24-06-2012, 07:28
Hi all, after a very busy month and a bit for renovating kitchen, painting rooms and other life's responsibilities I have been able to get some work on my project. Can confirm that I have finished my Entrance Hall and my son choosing a water feature for the next room I have just started on. Having 'fun' casting the blocks atm. Will get some photos up asap.

Cheers Rob.
My wife had to wait ten years for her new kitchen.
You just have to get your priorities right and say No!
OUCH! sorry Helga I was just telling the boys how I always put you first my sweet.

Purplebeard
24-06-2012, 11:09
Originally posted by Harry:

My wife had to wait ten years for her new kitchen.
You just have to get your priorities right and say No!
OUCH! sorry Helga I was just telling the boys how I always put you first my sweet.

Ooh someone is going to get himself in trouble :evilgrin:

Eboli
28-06-2012, 02:16
Hi all, it has been a while since I have added any new photos to this project of mine.

So it is now time for a proper update... Attached are images of the "Entrance Hall" but it can still be easily adapted to be an objective room when required. The more I do on this project the more I realise that I may have to create specific Dungeon Cards for this Egyptian Dungeon. I have included a GW Wizard for size reference.

Overall I am fairly happy with the results. It is a "clean" dungeon at the moment but in the future I may have to make it look more disused.

14403614403714403814403914404014404114404214404314 4044

My son already has me busy making his next choice of build. I am probably 66% there with the build and am now slowed down due to the need of making more casts for the floor tiles. Details will be in my next post which i promise will be faster than my last update..

Cheers!
Eboli

constant_ones
28-06-2012, 02:20
Your dungeon is looking great! How much does it weigh? Seems like all the plaster would start getting heavy :)

Andy_T
28-06-2012, 11:07
Looks great! Making your own dungeon and even event cards would be cool too; bet you'd get lots of good suggestions off people on here too. :)

Eboli
28-06-2012, 12:17
How much does it weigh? Seems like all the plaster would start getting heavy

constant_ones - So far I have 7 pieces and all up they currently weigh about 6kgs. I am not too worried about weight as I have flat containers that hold them very well and easy for storage. If I need to take them anyway (once I have a full set completed - let's say 30kgs all up with figures and cards) it may take a little bit of logistics but should be no worries. Hydrostone plaster is a very hard plaster so barring major dropage it should last a long time.

Making your own dungeon and even event cards would be cool too; bet you'd get lots of good suggestions off people on here too.

Andy_T - I am very happy for suggestions and ideas. I think it would be quite cool to design a new Dungeon Card face cover plus using a photo of each piece would be quite doable.

Cheers,
Eboli.

Harry
28-06-2012, 12:24
Another magnificent result.
Must be time for a 'everything done so far all put together' shot.

Eboli
29-06-2012, 06:49
Must be time for a 'everything done so far all put together' shot.

Once I get the next piece finished I will definitely be doing a "group shot".

Cheers!
Eboli.

Eboli
27-07-2013, 11:33
Hi all,

Long time no post... Well, the house got sold last year and we moved to our new house in December. I have been doing a huge amount of renovation but I have lately given myself some spare time to continue to work on this project. I have done about 5 additional pieces since my last post so I will have to get a camera out and give this topic and nice big update.

Stay tuned!

Cheers!
Eboli.

Harry
27-07-2013, 20:48
Can't wait.

Shas'El Tael
02-08-2013, 00:43
HUzzah :D Look forward too it Eboli :)

Eboli
02-08-2013, 01:17
HUzzah :D Look forward too it Eboli :)

Funny thing is that all this week I have spent my spare evening time working on two more pieces instead of taking photos of what has already been created. I have finally worked out the best way of doing things is to "mass produce" pieces by creating the floor tile base for a couple of pieces and then working from there.

Cheers!

Modhail
07-08-2013, 08:22
I've been a fool for not seeing (or commenting) this thread earlier.
That is one dead sexy dungeon!
Love your choice of colours and painting.

Eboli
11-10-2013, 01:14
Hi all,

It took me longer than I promised to get you some new images but here they are. All up now I have 14 pieces. Most of them have been finished but a few need some final work required. Once the majority of all the pieces have been made I will be adding debris etc to make the dungeon look old, dusty and dangerous.

The first set of images is for the Fighting Pit. A fairly important piece for the game.

Eboli
11-10-2013, 01:20
The next set of images are for the Guard Room. Standard look apart from myself choosing the classic Egyptian colours for the floor tiles.

Eboli
11-10-2013, 01:28
Standard corner piece.

Eboli
11-10-2013, 01:31
Another standard corner piece but different construction.

Eboli
11-10-2013, 01:35
This is the Magic Rune Room. I have actually printed some temporary tattoo paper with an Egyptian Rune magic circle but have yet to place it on the floor. Will update when this has been done.

Eboli
11-10-2013, 01:45
This is the biggest piece so far - still have to work on the fountains and refill the lower water sections and use fishing line with clear glue for streams of water coming out of the statue mouths - apparently the chemical in the resin does not get on too well with foam and thus melted the foam away. I also have some columns to add to the 4 corners of the fountain area.

179813 179814 179814 179815 179816

Eboli
11-10-2013, 01:46
Intersection room.

Eboli
11-10-2013, 01:55
This is currently all the pieces put together. Because of the modular design it can basically be put together in whatever design you want or what random process that occurs as the cards come up with. I am intending on creating about 3-5 end corridor pieces that will be also added as cards to the game.

Although I have the original style dungeon cards I am seriously thinking that I should create a new set of cards based on photos of my pieces with individual descriptions of events that may or may not occur.

Cheers,
Eboli

Andy_T
11-10-2013, 07:09
Wow! Great update! Making your own dungeon cards would be cool- I'm not much help on that but there are others on here that I'm sure will help you with them.
Really impressive when it's all together, are you going to make matching bases for your minis?

Andy T's Necromunda Plog (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?343354-Andy_T-s-Necromunda-plog&p=6266591)

Eboli
11-10-2013, 09:31
Wow! Great update! Making your own dungeon cards would be cool- I'm not much help on that but there are others on here that I'm sure will help you with them.
Really impressive when it's all together, are you going to make matching bases for your minis?

Andy T's Necromunda Plog (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?343354-Andy_T-s-Necromunda-plog&p=6266591)

Hi Andy,

I am aware of the dungeon card maker website that should hopefully suit my needs. If not then I will need to get creative but I will see this as a challenge rather than a nuisance. I have actually bought a large number of Egyptian styled figures or representation and have to look at bases anyhow so I think your suggestion is a very good idea.

Cheers!
Eboli

Shas'El Tael
11-10-2013, 11:54
Ach! Thats gorgeous! Brilliant work man.

Talking cards - tell you what - Send me good overhead photos and I'll do up the images like 'Art drawings' and finish cards for you. Just provide me with the word-copy you want on the cards.

Is there a card backing art you like? Or happy for me to source one that's suitably Khemri?

Eboli
13-10-2013, 08:57
Hey there Shas,

Many thanks for the compliments. I am happy to have a go at the dungeon cards first but thank you very much for your offer. You never know I may take you up on the offer depending on how things go.

Cheers! Eboli

Richard
14-10-2013, 20:02
Eboli yr 3D work is excellent hirst molds are great from what I've seen, are they easy to work with? what glue do you use? the group photo makes me want to play on. lol

Eboli
14-10-2013, 21:21
Eboli yr 3D work is excellent hirst molds are great from what I've seen, are they easy to work with? what glue do you use? the group photo makes me want to play on. lol

Hi there Richard,

The Hirst molds are very easy to work with. It only takes a couple of tries to get the molds filled properly (ie ensuring consistent mold filling and level) to ensure that all the blocks are exactly the same size. Once the blocks are dried just use the classic old wood glue (also known as aquadhere - white glue). When doing large projects you may get a bit tired of repetitive mold filling to get enough bricks but you can get around this by either doing multiple molds at the same time, test yourself with endurance (ie get it over and done with in one big hit) or choose to do a mold or two every evening for a week to build up your stockpile.

Don't use plaster of paris for your plaster choice as it is too soft and you will be disappointed in your work getting easily chipped. Use a proper plaster that is much harder. The Hirst website and its forum has plenty of topics about the various types of plaster available.

Main thing though - enjoy!

Many thanks for your compliments!
Eboli

Richard
15-10-2013, 06:35
yes I've seen the website too much its inscripted into my mind lol. but didn't give half as much input as you just gave. first hand is much better info. and I never thought aquadhere - white glue would do the trick. what are your plans model wise, duh I know Egypt style but are you thinking just skeles or boardering other themes as well.

Eboli
15-10-2013, 11:34
yes I've seen the website too much its inscripted into my mind lol. but didn't give half as much input as you just gave. first hand is much better info. and I never thought aquadhere - white glue would do the trick. what are your plans model wise, duh I know Egypt style but are you thinking just skeles or boardering other themes as well.

Hi Richard,

The white glue works very well as it takes a little while to harden thus giving you time to make any corrections quite easily within 5-10 minutes. Once it hardens it creates a solid bond I find suitable enough. If you go to a craft store you can buy the glue in good amounts than if you go to a Bunnings or similar hardware store.

I have a huge amount of figures (would say over a 1000) dating back 20+ years but for this project I have purchased a number of relevant models from Reaper as well as Crocodile Games (http://www.crocodilegames.com/) who have produced a set of very specific set of Egyptian models. I will be able to create a very realistic Egyptian adventure dungeon and have plans on using/creating a monster table to suit as well.

Painting of figures - lets not talk about that yet... :)

Cheers!

Karak Norn Clansman
15-10-2013, 14:42
Impressive dungeon!

Richard
30-10-2013, 20:04
say no more say no more surprises are nice and your standard of dungeon painting the models will be sweet. I will be doing my dungeon soon hopefully a 18month old takes up my time but should be soon. I done my own cards for my theme dungeon as I can do that when he sleeps lol.

so how many actual tiles have you done so far and how many more you thinking of doing?

Purplebeard
02-12-2013, 22:38
It looks brilliant Eboli. I've always been a bit sceptical of the 3D boards, but you (and some of the other talented guys on here) are starting to win me round :)

Harry
08-12-2013, 10:17
It is magnificent. What an undertaking. But well worth all the effort.
I would love a set like that.
Well done.