PDA

View Full Version : Monsters stats

Shyvax
06-05-2012, 09:59
Hey guys,
I am trying to create additional monsters, using the new creatures from FW. But I was wondering if it exist a conversion chart for the charac.
Cheers

Necanthrope
06-05-2012, 10:40
Hey guys,
I am trying to create additional monsters, using the new creatures from FW. But I was wondering if it exist a conversion chart for the charac.
Cheers

There is no chart that I know of. But there was a white dwarf article that had some guidelines about it "creatures of darkness" from white dwarf 188. The best place to find this article is the white dwarf compendium. You'll have to google it and accept the fact that it is infringing copyright if you find it this way though.

You can usually copy the wfb stat directly over to whq, with minimal alterations. Compare the creature to one that already exists for an idea of how many wounds it should have, how many damage dice, and what special rules it should have. Gold value can be tricky but I would go lower than you think it should be and raise it if it is not enough of a reward when you playtest.

Also, have a look at this thread.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?272148-Warhammer-Quest-new-monsters
You can post your new creatures here and get some advice and constructive criticism.

Purplebeard
06-05-2012, 11:31
Or you could get the White Dwarf magazine from eBay. The going rate is about 1 a magazine, though you can frequently get bundles for less than 1 a mag.

And have you looked at the fan-made online stuff (especially the WHQ Museum site)?

Of course there are balance issues, but a lot of the new monsters have old precedents from 'back in the day', so you might be able to get some stats and tweak them to your liking.

S_A_T_S
06-05-2012, 12:43
There was a conversion process for transfering your WHQ heroes into Warhammer. It would obviously be a couple of editions out of date, but stats haven't changed that much. Should be possible to reverse the process to enable you to take Warhammer stuff and put it in WHQ.

Necanthrope
06-05-2012, 13:01
There was a conversion process for transfering your WHQ heroes into Warhammer. It would obviously be a couple of editions out of date, but stats haven't changed that much. Should be possible to reverse the process to enable you to take Warhammer stuff and put it in WHQ.

There was such an article in wd198 and 200. But it was not much good. It basically told you to choose a profile based on your warriors title (novice, champion, hero, lord) and fudged almost everything else. It had a few guidelines, but that was it really. I doubt it would help much with monster creation as you're still left with the question of damage dice, wounds, equipment, and special rules.

Shyvax
06-05-2012, 17:43
Cheers guys, I gonna try to find out this WD and give it a try. But with all the new monsters from forge world, got to say that it is tempting to create some new profil for them and put them into a quest.

benvoliothefirst
07-05-2012, 00:07
I'd be very interested in knowing whether people who come up with their own stats have any kind of standardized system. I'm sure there would be exceptions but a rough idea of where to start would be great to have.

Daemonslave
07-05-2012, 14:46
When creating rules for new monsters, I just look at similarly powered WHQ monsters and go from there, adding special rules if necessary. It's quite easy I think - though saying that I'm probably creating some uber powerful beasties.

What beasties were you thinking of?

Shyvax
07-05-2012, 18:22
It wasn't one beastly in particular, I wanted to translate some beast from forge world into WHQ. Ex: fimir, giant squid, etc

Necanthrope
07-05-2012, 18:28
If you've got the rules form forge world it's not that difficult.
Copy the creatures stats directly over, then find a comparable creature to it and use that as a basis for wounds and damage. then come up with a gold value.
For a fimir, have a look at an ogre for example.