PDA

View Full Version : Simillar games

Kamenya
12-06-2012, 18:28
I recently found this gem online and I'm currently waiting for my copy.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/92190/super-dungeon-explore

This game is a lot less complex than quest but it's good fun and the minis are gorgeous. I'm looking for more games that are like this; a lower complexity than Quest and good models that would be fun to paint.

Does anyone have suggestions for where to look?

Purplebeard
16-06-2012, 17:36
Heroquest is an oldie but a goodie. The sculpting quality of the figures is lovely. The boxes aren't really expensive either - you can certainly pick up a copy for 20 or less. Battlemasters is good as it contains a lot of figures - it is more of a pitched battle game but the mechanics are quick-play.

S_A_T_S
17-06-2012, 22:53
The D&D board games aren't too complex (very little leveling up). I'd suggest Descent as the mechanics are pretty fun, but that can be a little more complex at campaign level, plus having to build a new dungeon every 20-30 minutes gets on my nerves.

Harry
24-06-2012, 06:11
All dungeon bashing started with Dungeons and Dragons.

You can pick up the Basic set on e-bay for next to nothing.
(You can get the Basic and Expert set for not much more. NOTE: I am talking about D&D not AD&D)

The revisions have not changed much that is important in the rules and it came boxed with 'The keep on the Borderlands' which remains one of the best 'my first dungeon bash' adventures ever written.

This set will provide hours of dungeon bashing fun.

Lord Cedric
24-06-2012, 07:01
DragonQuest was published by SPI in 1980, just 6 years after D&D original (3 years after Basic Set first rev). I still play it and like it a lot. It's a RPG thats original design was for miniatures combat and evolved. It's based off the % system and not D6 (D20 system came way after that). In some ways, I prefer this over the class system.

DQ was eventually bought out by TSR and ended at 4th edition. 3rd ed. is the edition that I enjoy playing.

Also, it is a skills and abilities point system and not a class system. So you can have a mage that can wear armour and pick locks for example.

And Harry, I remember playing D&D back when I had to color my dice with a crayon (which I still have and that light purple box set it came in). That specific module was one of my favorite too. As well as Against the Giants, Tomb of Horrors and the Isle of Dread.

Maybe someday I'll dig through my old collection of books, modules, and miniatures and catalogue 'n reminisce of a classic era still vividly playing in my mind.

-Lord Cedric

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Harry
24-06-2012, 07:49
And Harry, I remember playing D&D back when I had to color my dice with a crayon (which I still have and that light purple box set it came in). That specific module was one of my favorite too. As well as Against the Giants, Tomb of Horrors and the Isle of Dread.

Happy days. :D

But the best module was B10 Nights Dark Terror.

ALSO Just noticed you sig ...What did Beastmen and Demons do to be left out? :D

Purplebeard
24-06-2012, 10:12
@Lord Cedric: 58,000pts+ !?!?!?

That will translate into a lot of figures.

Maybe even too many.

Lord Cedric
24-06-2012, 19:34
Happy days. :D

But the best module was B10 Nights Dark Terror.

ALSO Just noticed you sig ...What did Beastmen and Demons do to be left out? :D

I have not played that mod as of yet (I had to break it out and make sure though - hehe). It is located around the Dymrak Forest which, interestingly enough, is the central location for another fun mod called "DDA4 - The Dymrak Dread". And cannot forget the Temple of Elemental Evil either. The Return was alright, but there is just something about originals that still have that spark with me. :D

As for my sig... when I first started collecting, for some reason, none of the Chaos armies interested me. But that was decades ago. I actually have a couple units of Beastmen and plan on expanding it to a rather large army... sometime. I am currently expanding my original "Undead" army into an 8th edition VC army as well. I am still a bit passive with Demons.. but I am "warming" around to them. :evilgrin:

@Lord Cedric: 58,000pts+ !?!?!?

That will translate into a lot of figures.

Maybe even too many.

Why thank you Purplebeard. You just reminded me to update my numbers. I've got a "few" more units to add to some of the armies so I'll have to figure base point values once again. I still have boxes upon boxes of minis ranging from blisters and units to battalion boxes (and one army box) yet to assemble. Heck.. I even found some of my old original D&D lead (yep.. the real stuff) miniatures that need some paint, not to mention a bit dusting off as well.

And yes, like yourself and to my wife (bless her patience and... err.. understanding), it is a lot of miniatures. But, really, one can never have too many. :shifty:

- Lord Cedric

Purplebeard
26-06-2012, 07:58
@Lord Cedric: Now you just need a great big room to fit them all in. I think it is time for negotiations with the wife ;)

Lord Cedric
26-06-2012, 09:05
@Lord Cedric: Now you just need a great big room to fit them all in. I think it is time for negotiations with the wife ;)

Ha! I would happily agree with you. Currently they are on a bookshelf and in several plastic drawer assembly stackables. With all my unopened boxes and other models needing assembled, I'm thinking that I'll need a few more bookshelves.

Maybe I'll convert one of my spare barns into a gaming man-cave. Lol. Well, at least they'd be out of the house and the wife could reclaim the guest bedroom. Hmmm.. This may take more pondering...

-Lord Cedric

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

toco
04-09-2012, 12:55
Heroquest is an oldie but a goodie. The sculpting quality of the figures is lovely. The boxes aren't really expensive either - you can certainly pick up a copy for 20 or less. Battlemasters is good as it contains a lot of figures - it is more of a pitched battle game but the mechanics are quick-play.

And if you use the modified rulebook "Allied HeroQuest" then your HeroQuest miniatures rock! ;)