PDA

View Full Version : Good SM Chapter

blitz589
06-06-2005, 23:45
Im starting space marine, and im not sure whether to play Black templars for the vow to hit on 3+, ultramarines for cheif libraian, or blood angels for the version of furious charge. so if anyone plays any of those which would you recomend.

axels15
06-06-2005, 23:51
Im starting space marine, and im not sure whether to play Black templars for the vow to hit on 3+, ultramarines for cheif libraian, or blood angels for the version of furious charge. so if anyone plays any of those which would you recomend.

well, you shouldn't talk about the black templar vow here, might start a flame war... :D

That said, I played BTs for a while, but lately ive gone over to the raven guard, who play similarly, but more to my style (stealth, heh heh) BTs will most likely be getting a new codex very soon, and this vow may soon be changed. That said, Blood Angels will probably, probably, also be getting redone with the BTs and therefore may not be the same. Now normally i wouldn't choose an army for its special character, but if you really like tigirius, go for them. Safest bet in building up an army and not finding out that the entire rule sets been changed.

Antaeus
06-06-2005, 23:57
It's not about the rules, it's about the imagery or background. Which colour scheme do you like best? Which models make you go "Wow, that's cool"? Which chapter has an interesting history or nice artwork?

Black Templars: Well, I'm biased as I'm a Templars man myself. The Emperor's Champion is a lovely model, their scheme isn't difficult to paint, great scope for conversions. Also they're a good choice if you like to fight up-close and personal. Not for the Accept Any Challenge, No matter the Odds Vow (which sometimes works against you anyway, but imho one ability isn't a great reason to start an army)

Blood Angels: Another assault oriented force. Blood Rage makes them unpredictable but powerful when assaulting. Death Company are a nasty as hell unit. Powerful, tragic imagery and very attractive to look at on the tabletop (if you don't mind a rather garish look, that is ;))

Ultramarines: Good slightly 'cooler' with the new Codex. Wanting to use the Tigurius model is one thing, wanting to use him just for one power is another entirely. But I'm sure your'e not a powergamer only selecting a force for one powerful rule or ability...anyway, tactically flexible, and look particularly good (imho) if you take plenty of Tac squads and do the shoulder plate trims different colours to signify different companies.

Just my thoughts on the reasons for selecting them, dedicated BA and Ultra players will be able to give you more info on them :)

Thousandth Son
07-06-2005, 05:32
Well like Antaeus has already said, the most important thing is whether after a year or two, will you look at your army and still like it. Rules should not decide your army, because with the new rules that come out an army that is good now, may not be as effective a year down the road.

Of the three that you mentioned, I personally am a fan of the Blood Angels, mostly because Sanguinius was the coolest Primarch ever. Plus the whole noble but doomed aspect of the Blood Angels is awesome. And yes, the Rules aren't to shabby also. ;)

When Black Roses Bloom
07-06-2005, 05:52
Well like Antaeus has already said, the most important thing is whether after a year or two, will you look at your army and still like it. Rules should not decide your army, because with the new rules that come out an army that is good now, may not be as effective a year down the road.

Of the three that you mentioned, I personally am a fan of the Blood Angels, mostly because Sanguinius was the coolest Primarch ever. Plus the whole noble but doomed aspect of the Blood Angels is awesome. And yes, the Rules aren't to shabby also. ;)

Don't forget the Death Company ;)

Delicious Soy
07-06-2005, 06:25
You want to pick an army on ONE rule? Here's a better tip do what I did, pick it based on a model! I loved eldar jetbikes so that who I started with, and I'm still going with them 8 years later. Though if you must be real about these things, I'd suggest something that you find has a compelling background and gives you inspiration to forge your own story in it.

Grumnir
07-06-2005, 06:51
It's not about the rules, it's about the imagery or background. Which colour scheme do you like best? Which models make you go "Wow, that's cool"? Which chapter has an interesting history or nice artwork?

That really sums up what chapter selection should be about. If your desperate enough for a ruleset a particular chapter has then you can create your own chapter w fluff/paintscheme/etc and used the rules of an existing chapter.

Of course the trait system is also designed for this.

Also with BA and BT remember they will be having their rules changed in the future so basing selection upon on a rule is potentially short lived

Beefstick
07-06-2005, 07:41
Either one will probably get you a flame war here...

However, I play BA (have been since 2nd edition) and I love 'em. They got pretty high powered in 3rd, and as a result saw a lot of abuse. I hope the new codex gets them the respect they deserve. The fluff on BA is really nice, and the character models are really nice (except chaplain Lemartes). I of course am biased here though.

A bit of advise though. Be careful about trying to choose an army that you think will be the most powerful. I'm not sure, but it looks kinda like that's what you're trying to do. You could be quite dissappointed. Most armies are rather balanced and all have weaknesses. If you hope that by picking a "strong" marine army you can win more games, it could be quite a shock when you come up against an ork army that mobs you under and your assault troops are virtually useless.

cubbster
07-06-2005, 18:20
I would wait to choose until the new Ba and BT codexes come out, unless of course you want to use ultramarines with there rediculous amount of units only for them!

Lord_Dante
07-06-2005, 23:17
Don't forget your choice will also depend a lot on how you like to play and what you find best. E.g. shooty or hand-to-hand armies. You could always make your own up too or go for something from the Index Astartes sets.

HK-PSG1
08-06-2005, 00:44
I'm sorry to ask here but what's the difference between Black angels and grey knights?

Master Fulgrim
08-06-2005, 01:31
There arent "Black Angels". Ether you mean "Blood Angels" or "Dark Angels". Well, Blood Angels belong to a cursed chapter, whos members were driven into some kind of Berserker-Rage by visions of their dead Primarch. They are quite closecombat-orientated and have a nasty closecombat-unit called Death Company. Dark Angels on the other side have a dark secret: during the Horus Heresy, half of their chapter turned to chaos and was spread over time and Space. Since them, the loyalist DA are on a eternal Quest to hunt every single traitor down. DA are quite shootie and can field an all Termie-army called Deathwing. Both chapters shy the Inquisition, because of their secrets. The Grey Knights on the other hand often work hand-in-hand with Inquisitors, as they are specialized in demonhunting. Unlke the DA and BA, who are basicly variants of normal Codex-marines, are the GK very specialized and a normal GK-army consists rather at a few die-hard troopers with special wargear, than the usual troopmix wich includes tactical marines, tanks, bikes,... etc of other chapters. Hope that i helped you.

Master Fulgrim