PDA

View Full Version : Centaur conversions

Butch1973
22-07-2012, 22:02
Quick introduction - I've been gaming for years, had a bit of a fallow period due to kids and work and stuff but trying to make a return. I've recently introduced one of my kids to WHQ and we've been having a few games when we get a chance, which has inspired me to get painting again and to start looking around for some adults to turn to WHQ.

One project was to make some centaurs. I don't know why I'm making these, they're absolutely hideous to meet at low levels, but I've always liked centaurs. I've still got some green stuffing to do around the waists and a few other bits of tidying up to do, but otherwise they are next in the painting queue. I have some archer accessories hanging around but I don't think they'd actually add anything to the models' overall appearance. Any thoughts or comments?

Eboli
22-07-2012, 22:28
Looking good! A they GW Chaos pieces? As I have been making an Egyptian dungeon I was lucky to come across lion/human "centaurs" which really fit the bill for me.

Yes - a run in with a centaur or two or three really hurts a lower levels.

Cheers,
Eboli.

Butch1973
22-07-2012, 22:39
I've seen the pictures of your Egyptian dungeon, it looks really good.

They are GW Marauder Cavalry, I just cut the heads off the horses and the legs of the riders and there you go. Plus savage orc bows.

constant_ones
23-07-2012, 04:35
They are looking quite good. Have you thought about bulking out the lower torso some, maybe adding some muscles would be good if your handy with green stuff.

Butch1973
23-07-2012, 08:24
The join between the horse's neck and the human body was the trickiest bit because of the difference in diameters. I shaved as much of the horse's neck as possible and cut the riders at a thick point just below their belts to help with this, but you are right they still need something to smooth that area. I might try some abs or I might just disguise it with some chainmail or a leather apron coming from their belts.

mrtn
23-07-2012, 10:32
They're looking very good! A trick a fellow on the Herdstone (Beastmen forum) used was to shave down the insides of the body halves of the horses so they're not so much broader. Could be useful if you make any more.

Andy_T
23-07-2012, 15:00
They look really good, think I would maybe 'thin' the horses a little like mrtn suggests and then see if you need to add chainmail etc. Marauder Horsemen are one of GW best sets IMO :)

Butch1973
27-07-2012, 00:10
I gave the abs a go (modelled them on my own). I'm no Jes Goodwin but they came out ok and certainly better than the scraped plastic and ragged join that was there before.

With regards to narrowing the body, good idea but the advice came too late for these guys otherwise I might have given it a go. The marauder torso and the horses neck are actually about the same width already, it's the front to back width that I was struggling with and sticking a six pack on them has helped that. Should look ok when painted (don't hold your breath for that).

Pics are a bit blurry but that's probably for the best.

Enjoy the sunshine while it lasts

HereBeDragons
30-07-2012, 08:41
Those guys are looking great! Good work

constant_ones
02-08-2012, 23:17
Agreed, those abs look great! Remind me of a female friend of mine whose into female body building contests, lean and strong abs are much more realistic than over defined 6s!

Purplebeard
05-08-2012, 10:48
Great conversions.

They are horrible to meet - much worse than Minotaurs. I ran an adventure recently and the warriors came out of an epic combat with loads of Orcs then BAM!

A load of Centaurs popped up and just ripped them apart in about 3 turns. There was some hilarity though when it came to the one fighting the Halfling - he'd chop the Halfling down, then the Halfling would heal himself, then he'd chop down the Halfling again, etc, etc. This went on for ages until all of the other warriors (4 of them) were dead, except for the Wizard.

I'm looking forward to seeing them painted.

Butch1973
09-08-2012, 00:04
Thanks for the compliments.
I've basecoated all three and forged ahead with one to near completion. I'm pretty happy with the look but I'm not sure what to do about the horse blanket that I shaved the saddle down to. I don't want it to be too bold and become a focus on an otherwise fairly dark and understated paintjob, but then I think grey would be a copout. I was thinking I might do some kind of chaosy design on it in greys and maybe some muted colours so it has a bit of interest without drawing the eye away from the 'rider'.
Anyway, here's a couple of pics. If anyone has any good ideas for the blanket then I would be very grateful.

And Purplebeard, I have only met one once which was the last time I played and I had only converted one at that point. He showed up during an existing combat with a bunch of goblins and skewered us from afar. We got him eventually but it pretty much emptied us of healing items. Why I felt I should make two more is beyond me.

Shas'El Tael
16-08-2012, 02:22
Looks great, you know what's screaming in my modders mind.. Javelins. You could have a 'satchel' of them along the flanks with the centaur drawing or throwing already.

Solid concept. Totally downloaded to my inspiration folders :D

constant_ones
16-08-2012, 03:58
The paint job looks quite good!

ModernKiwi
17-08-2012, 04:38
x2 on the paint job, looks great. The merge between the marauder and the horse is nicely done too.

Butch1973
18-08-2012, 13:40
Thanks all, they're nearly painted so I'll get some more pics up soon.

Shas - I have the parts to make two more. I was planning to make one a champion/hero with heavier armour, a shield and an axe. There are spears/javelins in the marauder set so I may actually use your idea for No.5, (but I might have had enough of centaurs for now).

Easygrin
02-09-2013, 20:22
Tried to steal/copy your idea on these and came out reasonably well nowhere near as good a paintjob as you did though you are a true artist.