PDA

View Full Version : Race Specific Monster Tables

Poncho160
26-07-2012, 22:03
Hi all,

Came upon my copy of quest and decided it was time it all got unpacked. What I really wanted though was to have race specific dungeons. So I have produced this liitle document for a level 1 Orc and Goblin Monster table:

Has anyone made thier own tables before and has anyone any suggestions that could improve the table or for any other O&G monsters that could be included.

If this goes well, ill be making higher level tables and other race specific tables as well.

Cheers in advance :)

(Found my copy of Liar of The Orc Lord, so I have amended a few new entries onto the table, adding a few new monsters. Found Catacombs of Terror as well!!!)

Butch1973
27-07-2012, 00:48
Looks good. I like that you've kept some other beasties in there to keep the variety and that you've weighted the table in favour of Orc Warrior encounters to strengthen the theme. You will need a lot of Orc models to cover multiple encounters!

I once did a Beastman-themed dungeon, but I used blank event cards rather than a table. I had to write stats for Ungor and Harpies and Tuskgor. I've still got the cards but if I did it again I'd write a table like yours. Because of the limited troop types in the beastman lists at the time, I mucked around with the size and make-up of the beastman gor encounters, and you might consider adding some similar variations into the orc warrior encounters such as group size, different weapons options or even (lightly) armoured orcs

Littlemonk
28-07-2012, 08:28
Trolls and Stone Trolls at Level 1? Ouch! I'd recommend to remove them from Level 1 or you're going to run out of exciting "new" Monsters when you get to higher levels (as well as obliterate your heroes in an already very tough game).

I have also created some custom tables for Orcs & Goblins as well as some other races. Suggestions always welcome and hope they give you some inspiration. You can access from my custom board.

Daemonslave
28-07-2012, 13:59
I agree that Trolls are too hard for level 1, plus you have repeated a lot of units many times - you're going to get a lot of the same units showing up which means needing to buy and paint the same unts multiple times (which can be boring). Why not include boar boyz (normal Orc and Savage), plus Goblin wolf and spider riders. I don't think you've got any Big Unz either. Have as much variation as possible. :-)

Poncho160
29-07-2012, 11:15
Cheers for the replys, just what i was after. Should i take the trolls out completley or reduce the number from D3 to just 1? Big Unz and Spider Riders are a good idea :)

S_A_T_S
30-07-2012, 00:14
I'd like to see some different race specific tables, as Lair of the Orc Lord already has greenskin specific tables. If you can find a copy of that, it might give you some extra ideas about how the monsters are spread out and used.

I once tried to do a skaven table, but there are so few that are level appropriate it ended up being a D6 instead of D66 roll...

Frogczar
30-07-2012, 21:50
I think there was a Skaven-specific table that accompanied the "Quirrk's Laboratory" White Dwarf adventure featuring all skaven monsters.

HereBeDragons
31-07-2012, 13:02
Having just checked, that was only an objective room monster table not a full battle level type table

gunmonkey
06-08-2012, 23:55
I'd like to see some different race specific tables, as Lair of the Orc Lord already has greenskin specific tables. If you can find a copy of that, it might give you some extra ideas about how the monsters are spread out and used.

I once tried to do a skaven table, but there are so few that are level appropriate it ended up being a D6 instead of D66 roll...

Checked and LotOL has three Orc+Gob specific tables: BL1, 2-3, and 4-5, but it introduced a lot more monsters in the back with new entries for Night Goblins and such. Might not suit if you want to keep a certain theme, or just dont have any NG's :p

I think S_A_T_S has the right idea with switching to a d6 for early BL tables, but maybe bump it up to 2d6 so giving you 11 entries to fill out. No point making a big list like that if most entries are gonna be repeated 3 times anyways.

Shas'El Tael
16-08-2012, 02:20
Liking the idea of themed dungeons - WHQst always irked me for sheer variety of beasties 'just getting along' together in the underdark. To save my painting time, I usually limit myself to minions and masters - makes for strongly themed dungeons much like what your canonising here. Reminds me, best get back to finishing my next dungeon series of tiles! :D

Thanks for this, given me a couple of ideas for my own racial dungeons.