PDA

View Full Version : Do Drop Pod players use Drop Pods?

Lost Primarch
07-06-2005, 10:36
I have had the fortune not to come up against any space marine players drop-podding their whole armies.

But for those of you that have, did they use actual drop pod models?

For those of you that are drop podders, do you use them, and if not, why not?

I know that I would be extremely annoyed if a player claimed to be dropping in with all his troops with no drop-pod models. It would be similar to claiming there were rhinos on the table and moving troops 12 inches every turn.

Without some representation of the drop pod (or dropping in troops), the use of drop-pod marines is simply taking advantage of a 'free' rule.

I play Guard, and I feel exactly the same way about Guard armies that do not model representations of Drop Troops (grav chutes, or diggers etc).

sigur
07-06-2005, 11:40
I think it would be quite interesting to see a list of the weirdest things that dropped down from orbit, containing Space Marines. :D

We haven't used Drop Pods much because we only had 2 games with SM after the new 'dex release, but our SM player always used a big can of dark red paint. The sinister thing is that he's playing DA, which nobody would expect to come out of a can of red paint. :eek:

Ass Goblin
07-06-2005, 12:15
The problem with the Marine drop pods is that 1. There really hard to make. 2. To buy them from forgeworld they cost an arm and a leg.

Inquis. Jaeger
07-06-2005, 12:19
I'm working on a drop-pod army at the moment. The only problem is that there's no model, and FW is damned expensive. It's a bit like if there was no Rhino model apart from a 45 resin one. I'm not griping, just making the point that it's diffcult to represent them all, especially considering the short space of time since the new codex was released (where DP are required for the first time).

I'm going to be working on building 5 or 6 for my army (Lav's Tale of X Gamers, Woo!), and by the end I'll have models for all of them.

When Black Roses Bloom
07-06-2005, 12:20
Does the weapon "platforms" drop pods (the ones with the bolter/heavy bolter emplacement) aply to the 4th edition rules? Or no?

Inquis. Jaeger
07-06-2005, 12:37
Those are covered exclusively by FW. I presume you mean the 'deathwind' drop pods? These are not covered in the Marine codex, but a variation is, whereby Marine codex drop pods can mount a variation of the deathwind missle launcher system seen in the FW versions.

Note that the FW rules for normal DP are somewhat different from the Marine codex ones as well.

When Black Roses Bloom
07-06-2005, 12:41
Yes, I'm talking about that ones. But unfortunately I haven't got the time to get a glance to the latest codex: spacemarines, yet. Eventually though.

But you say that this drop pod variation actually exists? And can you use it in a battle? Do you have any characteristics about this one?

Rainbow
07-06-2005, 12:42
Played against some armies and seen some played.

Personally I would like to see some official pods very soon, I've seen some people making very large pods, the larger the pod the eaisier it is to get a good deployment. If it scatters and can't land it will almost guarantied go back to the orginal placement, which normally is ideal for the dropping player.

There should be a very strict rule which states the maximum size of the pod. I've heard it's supposed to be the same as a dreadnaught/demonprince base, but never seen that written anywhere. If there is such rules, can somone please point me in the right direction? Really need the information!

Kargos Bloodspit
07-06-2005, 12:44
I'm going to be working on building 5 or 6 for my army (Lav's Tale of X Gamers, Woo!), and by the end I'll have models for all of them.

You're insane. I had to quit on my ideas of several carnifexes for that because it wasn't going to fit into my budget.

Gregorus
07-06-2005, 13:26
I've heard it's supposed to be the same as a dreadnaught/demonprince base, but never seen that written anywhere
and they say, that Rhino is too small for those 10 marines...

I'm currenlty working on a scratch-build one, but in order to not be out of proportions, it should be around the radius of the ordnance template...

just my 2c

therisnosaurus
07-06-2005, 13:38
I use turrets. fluffwise my guys all teleport in, so they teleport one of these little turrets which contains a teleport homer and the weapon system, which then clears the area and signals for the marines to arrive. this admirably represents both the weaponry on the pod and the effect it has (esnuring your guys aren't killed by dropping into enemy troops or lava... bad memories.) this is what the turrets look like
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/thereisnosaurus/PICT2210.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/thereisnosaurus/PICT2211.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/thereisnosaurus/PICT2212.jpg

When Black Roses Bloom
07-06-2005, 14:21
Ooooh very nice piece of equipment you've got there therisnosaurus. And the models are very very nice :D

cthorpe
07-06-2005, 15:16
Hi Everyone,

Try these out for size, paper or plastic card templates for drop pods.. just print out as many as you want for your army.. Cheap, look great and easy to make..

The link is as follows..

http://www.retribution40k.net/Projects/Droppods/droppods.htm

Hope that helps you all...

Carl

Inquis. Jaeger
07-06-2005, 15:19
Yes, I'm talking about that ones. But unfortunately I haven't got the time to get a glance to the latest codex: spacemarines, yet. Eventually though.

But you say that this drop pod variation actually exists? And can you use it in a battle? Do you have any characteristics about this one?

Basically there are 4 kinds of Drop Pod in terms of rules.

3 FW ones and 1 in Codex Marines. By FW's rules, a Drop Pod may either carry Marines, a Dread or an automated weapons system that clears the area for the other pods to land safely. Each has different rules and a different model, and cannot be combined with the others.

The Marine codex basically amalgamated this idea, wherein 1 basic drop pod exists, and the rules don't vary whether it carries Marines or a Dread, and it may be armed with a Deathwind Missile Launcher, which shares the same name, and less powerful weapons, as one of the Weapons varient avaliable from FW.

Inquis. Jaeger
07-06-2005, 15:25
You're insane. I had to quit on my ideas of several carnifexes for that because it wasn't going to fit into my budget.

By that I mean I am going to make my own from templates for about 1 a pop. Although that 'Teleporting homer/gun platform' idea is amazing, and the models look great. I may have to steal it.... :D This is gonna take some thought...

MorningStar
07-06-2005, 17:52
therisnosaurus those are some awesome looking pieces. Would you mind if I "borrowed" your idea?

cubbster
07-06-2005, 18:04
I haven't tried the drop pod rules yet, but I am thinking of doing an entire army which will drop pod into combat! I think it may seem cheesy, but it will be fun to use!

P.s I love those bases with the teleport homer and the 'sentry' guns on!

Karhedron
07-06-2005, 21:54
Hi Everyone,

Try these out for size, paper or plastic card templates for drop pods.. just print out as many as you want for your army.. Cheap, look great and easy to make..

The link is as follows..

http://www.retribution40k.net/Projects/Droppods/droppods.htm Here is a completed cardboard pod. It cost me about 2 and that was just because I mounted it on black artists card. The back of a cereal packet would probably work just as well.

bigbauske
08-06-2005, 03:28
I like the idea but have yet to use. We do have one player at my store who uses it but dose not have the drop pods modeled yet. Kind f irriatating and does not really met WYSIWUG.

Cypher
08-06-2005, 11:27
Certainly if I was playing against someone I didnt know or in a public setting (tournament, store etc) Id expect them to have modelled Drop Pods if they want to use them. It may be a hardline approach, but the same applies to any unit in the game: Id expect my opponent to have a suitable model to represent.

EVIL INC
08-06-2005, 13:30
My buddy plays marines. The only problem is, he doesnt bother to paint them or convert them. This, he leaves up to me. This is ok since I use a VERY basic paint scheme to make things fast. After reading through the new rules, We like the idea of him using a drop pod army, but like everyone else, dont have the cash to buy them.
I came up with the idea of using short sections of pvc pipe with caps. This would give the right width and height can be adjusted by how short you cut them. The caps would be the perfect place to model on the turrets. The only thing left to do would be to use a dremil to cut out doors and then glue them back into the holes laying down to look like they droped from a floor hinge.
Then of course paint them. :rolleyes:

glimli
08-06-2005, 16:55
i wouldnt play a drop pod sarmy unless the player had made a decent attempt at converting some (or of ourse buying one). also i wouldnt play them if theyd made them in such a way to give themselves unfair advantages. especailly if im playing my gaurd amry which ould get canned.

i agree gw should clarify the base size at least in an a faq and get cracking on making some plastics.

Captain Brown
08-06-2005, 19:06
Our group has so far enforced this rule - must have a model to represent or you cannot use them. Does not affect the Assault Marines or Terminators using normal Deep Strike.

Our two Marine players have grumbled a little, but not all that much. Neither has any interest in buying or building their own at this point in time. If they did I am certain one of them would make a beautiful model, complete with drop ramps, weapons, etc. The other would make as large a model as possible to recover from deviation.

Typheron
08-06-2005, 19:35
Here is a completed cardboard pod. It cost me about 2 and that was just because I mounted it on black artists card. The back of a cereal packet would probably work just as well.

thats not a bad drop pod once assembled, and im sure that if you felt so inclined a little bit of extra card here and there would give you the raised panels of the forge world version.

hmmm may have to abuse my computer lab and print off a few of those before the end of term just for the hell of it.

Karhedron
08-06-2005, 20:12
I would expect my opponents to have something to represent a drop pod. It would not have to be anything fancy like the FW version. Even a converted beer can would do provided it is painted in the right colours. ;)

At the end of the day, a drop pod is a vehicle with armour and weapons. It can shoot and block LOS. That means you need some kind of physical model so oyu can tell exactly where it is. I wouldn't force someone to spend a load of money but they would need something to physically represent the drop pod on the battlefield. Would you let an opponent play with imaginary Rhinos?

sigur
08-06-2005, 20:38
I would expect my opponents to have something to represent a drop pod. It would not have to be anything fancy like the FW version. Even a converted beer can would do provided it is painted in the right colours. ;)

At the end of the day, a drop pod is a vehicle with armour and weapons. It can shoot and block LOS. That means you need some kind of physical model so oyu can tell exactly where it is. I wouldn't force someone to spend a load of money but they would need something to physically represent the drop pod on the battlefield. Would you let an opponent play with imaginary Rhinos?

good point Karhedron. Basically, it's a vehicle you pay pts for, which need a line of sight to shoot it's weapons and has a statsline like a normal vehicle, so a model or at least a proxy (depends on the groups handling of WYSIWYG) is mandatory.

axels15
09-06-2005, 01:38
why the hell does GW see fit to make it an official unit, and not make models for it? I want a couple, but im not paying, what, over 50 each US and then add shipping. thats ********

Samoth
09-06-2005, 02:49
I once played with a gatorade bottle with a storm bolter on top. :p Opponents consent, in a friendly game though. It was too small, didnt block much los, and the scatter hurt too. Maybe a real model will work better.

Xisor
09-06-2005, 02:57
I admit to using some empty Tescos own cuppasoup boxes as drop pods for my Salamanders :p

They *were* the right colours....

Xisor

blitz589
09-06-2005, 03:02
the person i play with uses the ones from epic on an aol cd so it has same base, and it is a drop pod

Serpent
09-06-2005, 05:28
A guy in my gaming group has converted four Drop Pods for virtually no money at all. Foamcard and plasticard is your friend, combined with templates for how to cut out the different pieces. And they look very good.

Mind you, Eldar players didn't get a "real" Wave Serpent until it was gutted by the new rules. So waiting for a GW kit might not be worth it...

Serpent

MorningStar
09-06-2005, 05:29
Is anyone else having trouble getting the generic picture of that paper drop pod template to work?

Catterjee
09-06-2005, 06:27
I know a guy who made a drop pod by using 3 of the plastic blisters left over from a 40K purchase. It sounded stupid when I first heard about it, but with some cardboard, some plastic bits added, and a little paint it turned out surprisingly well.

glimli
09-06-2005, 06:59
those carboard ones are pretty decent though the instructions could be done better.

Gaebriel
09-06-2005, 12:12
We usually allow proxies when it comes to insane things like 45 secondary models, but expect them to be at least similar to the vehicle. After that, it's encouraged to convert something more elaborate.

So my first drop pods are simple plastic mugs (those you take for parties - just make sure you get hard-plastic ones, as the colour will chip of the thin white ones), with a few added tidbits and a fitting basecoat.

I'm waiting for GW plastics, but might switch to template/scratch-built foamboard/plasticard/balsawood ones...

Karhedron
09-06-2005, 12:54
Is anyone else having trouble getting the generic picture of that paper drop pod template to work?
It worked OK for me. Go into your printer settings and make sure there are no margins set or it will try to shrink them to fit on the page.