PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Quest : The iPad game

Shas'El Tael
21-08-2012, 10:18
Holy.. This just in :

Looks like an interactive RPG.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=3600036-gws&_requestid=525655

Read and look forward to your thoughts :)

I would still like card and figures; the amount it costs to develop software can be on parity with a board game these days.

- Seb

Crymson
21-08-2012, 10:19
Ok, I have to admit, I'm *******' excited

DarthSte
21-08-2012, 10:26
What an amazing surprise! Hopefully it will be a gateway to a re-release of the original game! :D

Arctaeus
21-08-2012, 10:26
When I saw the breaking news related to Warhammer Quest, I was excited thinking it was another limited edition old-school print run.

Then I saw it was for Iphones and Ipads only.

Although I do have an Iphone, i'm now no longer excited about this.

Spider-pope
21-08-2012, 10:29
Woot! A Warhammer Quest game, brilliant. :D
Oh wait its for iPad and iPhone only.

Nevermind. :cries:

shelfunit.
21-08-2012, 11:10
Very interesting (and good) news. It does however, not bode well for a physical re-release...

Harry
21-08-2012, 12:03
I don't know .... if it is a huge hit GW would be foolish not to see this as an entry to the world GW and Warhammer miniatures ... wouldn't they?

Shas'El Tael
21-08-2012, 12:05
Very interesting (and good) news. It does however, not bode well for a physical re-release...

Look, my initial reaction appeared lukewarm. I'm excited to see any development of the WHQsT IP. But I do agree this may not bode well for a physical release; or as mentioned.. a lead in perhaps to new board set. If anything, a special edition miniature would be grand (like WAR online's Orc)

Ultimately, communities like ours that kept the flame alive are largely responsible for encouraging present day endeavors; I trust at some point folks remember its not just the game, but the physical miniature heroes that kept me playing all these years and converting/showcasing with fellow enthusiasts.

Certainly seems to take a leaf out of the Blood Bowl of play book when they launched a digital version of that iconic IP

-Seb

Andy_T
21-08-2012, 12:05
yeah! can't wait untill spring 2013!

gunmonkey
21-08-2012, 12:16
I don't know .... if it is a huge hit GW would be foolish not to see this as an entry to the world GW and Warhammer miniatures ... wouldn't they?

Doubt it, GW arent known for capitalizing on computer games' success. Apart from a novel or two and adopting the Blood Ravens colour scheme, they havent used the popularity of the Dawn of War games much. Same again for Space Marine, which they mention in their financials as a big money spinner last year....why not a special edition Cpt Titus miniature on the webstore, you love the Ultramarines, dont ya GW? Closest they got was the special Grumlok & Gazbag mini for Warhammer Online. maybe GW just doesnt have a good relationship with THQ, even though they consistently deliver the best 40k games.

My guess is they still kinda see computer games as an enemy, here to steal kiddies free time and parents cash, but the big paychecks the publishers can drop for a license must be too good to turn down.

Oh well, more info from Games Day is something.

Green Grot
21-08-2012, 12:26
Really excited about this. I enjoyed playing Hunters 2 by the same company (Rodeo Games) and hopefully this will be even better.

Daniel36
21-08-2012, 12:29
Well, an iPad game won't cost you that much if you already own an iPad, so...
In that case it can be a fine gateway game. Heck, they can even release a free demo version that harrasses you with adverts of the minis every three turns. Who knows.

It does sound rather exciting... We all know GW is very protective of their IPs, so they don't >just< hand them over. I think it'll be a gateway, but it's naught but my guess.

S_A_T_S
21-08-2012, 12:38
I too was very excited when I saw the WHQ logo, then noticed Rodeo Games - that's not Fantasy Flight, so this isn't going to be a board game, is it? Making it exclusive to iProducts is pretty crap, but clearly aimed at getting as much money from as many people as possible. They could have put it on Steam, but they clearly want to push it to casual players who might randomly come across it on their 'mobile device'. This almost makes me regret turning down my parents offer of an iPad for my birthday, but then it would be more crap taking up space in my house, I'd have to use iTunes, and 400-odd is too much to spend on digital WHQ (now real, oop board game WHQ, that's a different matter...)

Gunmonkey is right, GW is awful at capitalising on their IP related games. The day Blood Bowl was released I went to the shopping centre to get it, and outside the HMV is an escalator. At the top of that escalator, right at the top, is the GW. I popped in there, and they had nothing. Not a single BB related item in the store. When I commented on the lack of BB promotion, the staff didn't even know the game was out, and I'm pretty sure at least one of them had never even heard of BB as a GW game.

Modhail
21-08-2012, 12:46
When I saw the WHQ logo on the GW front page, I got quite excited. Only to discover it was iSomething only.:(
I don't own such a device, so no sale (and a sad face) for me.

However, I do own a PC, and a large table.
If GW were to release a WHQ product compatible with one of these platforms, I'd be overjoyed! :D

Ultimately, communities like ours that kept the flame alive are largely responsible for encouraging present day endeavors; I trust at some point folks remember its not
just the game, but the physical miniature heroes that kept me playing all these years and converting/showcasing with fellow enthusiasts.
Exactly, well said!

Wintermute
21-08-2012, 12:48
We already have a thread here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?350364-Warhammer-Quest-Computer-Game-Announced&p=6385071#post6385071) discussing this.

Thread Closed

Wintermute