PDA

View Full Version : Lustria Expansion for Revised WHQ

bobthebobish
07-09-2012, 18:21
Its finally here! Brand new set of quests, treasures, hazards, and monsters. Equally as large as my first WHQ old world setting. In addition you can now play as a wholly new character: The Amazon! Do enjoy:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B_dW6NCrPT61WXdycy1EaUtzVUk/edit

I'll be posting the actual board sections we have been using along with the dungeon cards on pdf to print next week. Until then almost all of the are available on the Chronicles of the Old World website. Some of my boards have slight edits but nothing major. In addition I added in rules for using heroquest furniture in WHQ to spice up the dungeon without changing the balance. Enjoy.

Cards and Board Sections have been added in pdf form for Lustria ready to print!

Shas'El Tael
08-09-2012, 23:51
Impressive effort so far; really should get my Jungle sections prepped for printing. Also having the ship battle section is an interesting read - have an idea in the works about that sort of thing :)

Will read in more detail tonight,
Seb.

bobthebobish
11-09-2012, 21:45
The boards and cards have been added in pdf form now for your convenience. Only the Lustria tiles are up currently as my old world ones are not in printable form yet.

As an attempt to hijack my own thread though in our latest play testing campaigns we have come to a conclusion that level 10 sucks. Why is that? There is no real end game other than completing the (staggering) level 10 epic quests.

So my question is does anyone have any good ideas for activities that can be done only at BL 10. My current idea is to have overarching main campaign quests that are separated into smaller quests during the warriors career (level 1-10) with the final quest only unlocking after completing various other goals at level 10. This really is the weakest section of the game in play testing as after you get to level 10 there isn't a whole lot of incentive to keep going with the same party.

Look forward to hearing some different ideas!

Daemonslave
12-09-2012, 20:52
I've toyed with the idea of having a level 11 (which I am considering as a 'suicide' level).

Basically, I'm going to make lots of new things purchaseable which have no in game effect simply to give the Warriors incentive to show off - such as having to pay for titles such as Lord, King, etc, their own sailing ships, etc and maybe even their own armies (which you could link into actual Warhammer Fantasy games) - for example, for a unit of Goldswords you might have to pay 20,000 Gold. In order to get the vast sums needed they either stay at level 10 for a long time or go to level 11.

Basically you can take up to 8 warriors at a time but the monsters you will face will be obscene (ie D3 Bloodthirsters or Exaulted Greater Daemons which are quite frankly almost unkillable but worth huge sums of money) - a good chance to use all those Forgeworld monstrosities!

Shas'El Tael
13-09-2012, 00:11
Nice collection of board sections, all kinds of sources - Adv. Heroquest etc. Being a graphics guy I certainly appreciate the tile art, reminds me I had best complete my Amazonian set for these kinds of games.

bobthebobish
13-09-2012, 16:15
I've toyed with the idea of having a level 11 (which I am considering as a 'suicide' level).

Basically, I'm going to make lots of new things purchaseable which have no in game effect simply to give the Warriors incentive to show off - such as having to pay for titles such as Lord, King, etc, their own sailing ships, etc and maybe even their own armies (which you could link into actual Warhammer Fantasy games) - for example, for a unit of Goldswords you might have to pay 20,000 Gold. In order to get the vast sums needed they either stay at level 10 for a long time or go to level 11.

Basically you can take up to 8 warriors at a time but the monsters you will face will be obscene (ie D3 Bloodthirsters or Exaulted Greater Daemons which are quite frankly almost unkillable but worth huge sums of money) - a good chance to use all those Forgeworld monstrosities!

Check the rules BL11 monsters are already there. The encounters are insane and can easily lead to full party wipes. The problem with taking warriors to level 11 though is that in my game monster encounters can at most (and this is for a reason) be BL+1. That means level 11 encounters are possible but level 12 (except when fighting NPC warriors) is not. The problem of course with fighting level 12 monsters is what would you throw at the party? Khorne himself? There are already things like ancient wyrms, vampire patriarchs and 2nd generation slaan at 11(exalted greater daemons are coming in Norsca)!

I'm still toying with the idea of warriors being able to purchase things like land, armies etc but I can't really think of what use they would be other than a money drain. I just can't think of what a warrior would do with those things as what is land to someone who constantly travels? What use is an army when you can probably get through a dungeon faster and easier than the army? But there must be a way I haven't given up yet!

talion
13-09-2012, 16:30
The only thing i can think of is either transferring them to battlefield

or

have them as legendary encounters in new games. An event card where one of thier old level 10 warriors is soleing through a dungeon and comes across the party. He joins the fight for a round or two before heading off on his own quest again.

you could have an event card for each of the legendary warriors, where they use some of their best skills in fighting.
This way the players can start fresh but occasionally have the abiltity to bring an old face into the game.

Modhail
13-09-2012, 18:52
Talion, that's a very nice idea! I need to remember that one.

Shas'El Tael
14-09-2012, 08:21
Wonder what to call a card like that?

"Can you sign my shield?" - Your party comes across a Legendary hero, who's name has inspired at least one of your party members to a life of dungeon deeds! He joins your party to chillout for D12 turns.

"Dungeoneer Kinnear" - Your party comes across a Legendary hero, who's name is eclipsed only by his awesomeness. You pretend to join his party of one for D12 turns and pick the spoils of corpses not worthy of his time to loot.

and so on.. nice idea Talion :)

Modhail
14-09-2012, 12:21
I'm partial to just calling it "Tallahassee"... ;)

Or, more sensibly: "Here, let me show you how it's done."

bobthebobish
15-09-2012, 17:30
I love that idea about having old faces show up and let the newbies know how its done. Not sure how to implement it but it would be fun for sure to watch a level 10 warrior massacre some low level monsters for a bit.

I've been working on evil quest a bit (not even close to being finished don't hold your breath) and one of the game modes planned for that is to be able to take a group of warriors up against the evil dungeon lords which at level 10 should prove most traumatic! The group is currently taking a break from WHQ after our last party hit level 10 (there is too much of a good thing trust me). Meanwhile work will continue in several directions chipping away at all the various expansions that are planned. Next up is most likely the sewers (least amount of new models to buy!) with plenty of skaven, nasty beasts and of course new ways for the warriors to meet sudden and unfortunate demises below...

HereBeDragons
16-09-2012, 09:21
While all this talk of level 11 parties and multiple exalted greater daemons is awesome, Im wondering if anyone has thought of ways to extend the lower level experiences? I'm just starting on my warhammer quest journey (as those who check out the tale of board game painters might know...) and as such I look upon the vast hordes that make up the encounter tables with the feeling that it will take years to reach a point where I could run a party to high levels, simply because I can't buy the monsters fast enough. I reckon I might be able to cover most of the level 1 table and a few bits from level 2 over the course of the next year, but if I can get a band together it seems we would outstrip the challenge of these monsters through levelling up/treasure collecting far too quickly.

What I think I need is some way of keeping these low level monsters challenging for the players, but without removing the rewards of playing together. Unfortunately I am at something of a loss at how to do this. One thought I had was to run a games mastered story driven campaign, letting the players follow a set (although adjustable) story. In this way the monsters can remain the level 1/2 kind while more are collected, but the reward comes from following the story. Although I would be quite keen to run something like this, I wouldn't have thought most newbies like me would have that degree of enthusiasm. After all, it takes quite a bit of effort. The main challenges seem to be what to do with the levelling up system and the treasure. Levelling wise, we would need some way of enabling training and character development, without letting them grow too powerful. A tough balance to make! I had thought that splitting up the levels, and allowing players to train individual characteristics/learn new skills, rather than having it all happen in one go. Treasure feels like it would need a lot of work, but maybe that is because of my inexperience with the game. How easy is it for players to find overly powerful weapons? I wondered if introducing a system whereby treasure found in dungeons has a limited number of uses (I know some do already), for instance weapons become worn/damaged/break over time, and must either be discarded, have their rules toned down, or players must pay to have such items fixed in towns/cities. Another problem of course is what to do with all the money the players are bound to end up collecting during their adventures. You don't want to strip out all the character development to the point where the game gets less fun.

Any thoughts?

HereBeDragons
16-09-2012, 09:21
Damn double post

Modhail
16-09-2012, 12:09
I think using story as "reward" is a good idea. (In fact, I think story should always be part of any game!)

An alternate way to stretch painting and monetary budget is by focusing on a certain group or race of monsters.
This would also solve the problem some have with the monster tables being all over the place.
You could use story to justify this: Say you are sending the heroes into a Beastman lair. You could then decide: For the next battle level, I'll just paint the Beastmen entries first. If I have any time or money left, I'll paint some related monsters from the table to throw in as surprises.
Then, if you run a next campaign or start an extra group, focus on another race or theme for that group. That way you can still gradually complete your collection.
I would wager that most players would even enjoy their dungeons having such themes to distinguish them from each other.

Or with some extra work, you could stretch the collection you have. while keeping rewards per level the same: Simply calculate back from the battle table what the reward (range) for certain encounters would be, and assemble a similar reward (range) with models that you do have painted. Just make sure that you keep painting and regularly add new monsters, to prevent the encounters growing stale from repetition.

Daemonslave
16-09-2012, 13:08
Although a good idea in principle, Modhail, the trouble with that approach is that the Warriors go up in battle level really quickly at the early stages, meaning you may miss out on using some monsters all together.

Personally I'm thinking of having a party of say, 30 Warriors, 4 of whom will visit a different dungeon at a time. Each dungeon will have a theme (such as all undead, etc) and will spread out the time needed between painting units. Because there is a lot of warriors to cover, none will advance super quick, meaning you should have a lot of time to get some paint on your beasties. If these warriors all progress at roughly the same rate then it will also help when you have the inevitable death (you won't have to make a randomly generated new warrior to tag along if your old one bit the dust).

I can see the obvious problem with this idea though, that there is a lot of information to remember and that some people like to have just the one character (ie having a number of characters each just isn't the same!)

Shas'El Tael
16-09-2012, 13:26
Something I discussed over this weekend's game - Character Quest achievement rewards.

PCs gain levels fast - but bottle necking them is easy - complete a set chain of quests to give you the ability to level up. For my Knight it is gaining Errantry status for example.

Whilst the PCs can gain experience etc, once they cap they cannot progress until their story or significant achievement is complete to go on.

bobthebobish
16-09-2012, 19:51
Really I don't think there is a way to offer real risk and reward by keeping the warriors at low levels. No one wants to clear out an objective room, nearly die, then receive some gold and a mace with +1 strength for the party just to prolong the low levels. As heretical as it may seem using proxies is a better idea to me than slowing the players growth to a crawl.

It also doesn't hurt to just re-roll the monster results that you don't have either. Remember as well that your 12 orcs can also later be 12 orc bosses, 12 orc big bosses etc. Just get a hero model for whenever there's a group of monsters + champion type of situation. Overall buying the whole monster table isn't cheap but it can be done eventually!

Shas'El Tael
17-09-2012, 01:46
Well it is a Dungeon Crawl type of came ;)

My games are very story driven so the group is happy to go through and try and defeat a structure quest line, levelling tends to be a symptom of defeating the main boss.

I do agree on the same models being the next level, but I can't help the painting/modeller side of me demanding the real deal everytime haha.

bobthebobish
18-09-2012, 21:11
I truly hope no one is crazy enough to buy 12 Orc Big Bosses for 15 bucks each when they can have 12 orcs that come in the box!

Story driven games are great but we prefer playing without a GM as for us the game just doesn't cut it as an RPG. Killer board game though.

For now I'm going with the idea of making a campaign adventure that is ongoing throughout the warrior's careers. Each campaign will have branching paths depending on what the party decides to do and the final quest at the very end will be different depending on the warriors choices, successes and failures. That way the warriors have a true end game to progress toward in that when they finally reach level 10 they will still have their arch nemesis to defeat as sort of an end boss.

Modhail
19-09-2012, 08:02
I truly hope no one is crazy enough to buy 12 Orc Big Bosses for 15 bucks each when they can have 12 orcs that come in the box!:angel:
Nope, why would we want 12 identical Orc Bosses? That's what converting is for.... :p Bitz sites are a boon for this.

If you do a search on Warseer (here and in the P&M projects) there are several people trying to collect a full set of all battle levels... On Dakkadakka too. One or two even added the extra challenge of using only OOP mini's from the era of WHQ's print run: '95-97.
There's plenty of wargamers with a penchant for overwhelming, madcap huge projects. It sorta comes with the territory. ;)

I really like your campaign idea, good concept!

HereBeDragons
20-09-2012, 08:35
Thanks for all the replies guys! Quite a mix of ideas! I'll definitely have to put some thought into this. I do think that I will definitely push the story idea, I quite like the idea of playing the games master. Treating the levels more like video game style levels, so that at each battle level the players can play through a certain story, levelling up at the end of that story. They would then face harder monsters in the next level. For example, level 1 would be based around the enemies in the Lair of the Orc Lord expansion. The players would play through a series of adventures, some directly linked to the story, with some random quests thrown in for variety, culminating in the final showdown with Gorgut, which would play the role of the end of level boss. The players could then level up, starting a new story line at level 2, a skaven orientated one say?

bobthebobish
25-02-2013, 16:17
Finally added the Cards and floor plans in a nice ready to print PDF for the Old world. Also the Bretonnian Knight is available under the warriors now as well.

I most likely won't be working that hard to update this anymore. As far as I can tell very few people are interested in trying out this revision and honestly it is just far too much work to get things in order to release it publicly for less than a handful of people. I thought I should at least finish up the old world and lustria stuff beforehand for the few people playing though.

stormtrpp
27-02-2013, 02:58
Thanks so much for your effort. I downloaded the Lustria boards and cards and the Old World boards. Love the Lizardmen beastiary as well. I really appreciate your efforts.
Regards

bobthebobish
23-03-2013, 16:43
Thanks hope you're having fun with it. Just added the Outlaw to the warriors section. I'll be putting out another one soon as well. The sewer board sections and cards are up as well but the sewer rules are obviously not as they are no where near complete.

Further rules updates will be untested for some time as we are currently breaking from the norm to play a D&D 2nd ed campaign. So if you do try them out PLEASE let me know about the balance as I would highly doubt that its perfect out of the gate lol.

On a side note if anyone knows of a set of oriental board sections or would like to contribute by making some You would be my hero and would be able to greatly effect how quickly the Nippon/Cathay rules are finished!

bobthebobish
01-04-2013, 08:11
Behold for the least sensible character has been added: The Chainsaw Warrior! Better yet now you can even take him on his own solo campaign (or any other warrior) using the new solo quest rules added on for foolish warriors...