PDA

View Full Version : GW Boardgames not yet remade by Fantasy Flight

Poseidal
21-10-2012, 14:52
Are there any old GW board games that are regarded as really good that haven't had a Fantasy Flight remake?

Some of these might be other licences (not of GW), but I think there may be some Warhammer / 40k licence board games still not remade like Battle for Armageddon and Doom of the Eldar. There are also GW originals that aren't Warhammer based, will these ever see release again, like Dark Future? (or are worth re-releasing?)

Were the Armageddon and Doom of the Eldar any good?

sigur
21-10-2012, 16:44
I vaguely remember Armageddon being deemed the best out of the cardboard chits games but I think that the whole general concept was covered by that "Horus attacks the Imperial Palace" game FFG released some time ago.

What people would love to see remade of course is the classics. Heroquest, Space Crusade and mainly of course Warhammer Quest. The first I think doesn't have much place any more nowadays and the second is pretty much the same. It would just be in-house competition plus I think the Descent/Doom/Gears of War are deemed to have better rulesets altogether. Warhammer Quest has to be reserved for GW to remake it. That would be darned great but again, possibly too close to Descent, SDE, these Mantic mini-games and so on.

Actually the most interestging games that FFG did with the GW licenses (in my opinion) are Death Angel (love it to bits) and Blood Bowl Team Manager - recycling the game concepts but taking miniatures out of the equasion Because miniatures are GW's thing to do. I really don't care for the FFG figures much (good quality but essentially for what?) and there isn't much use in them making any for GW licensed games. Based on the raw mechanics of Death Angel, I think that FFG could make pretty good dungeon crawling games based on HeroQuest and Space Crusade to be honest.

I think that they could even make an interesting new Dark Future game.

I

Poseidal
26-10-2012, 09:14
They did Warrior Knights, is that one good?

kyussinchains
20-12-2012, 16:18
let's not forget games like oi dat's my leg! and trolls in the pantry especially with the little casette tapes full of the GW staff titting around making awful jokes and doing silly voices....

edit: the card chit-based games were all great, they just didn't have huge replay value, for me the horus heresy game is a big miss because it's pretty one-dimensional, yet costs a lot of money

BigbyWolf
20-12-2012, 17:03
I used to have a "The Emperor and Friends invade Horus' Battle Barge" game, but I have a feeling this was a WD freebie.

Back when WD was, you know, all good and stuff...

ColShaw
20-12-2012, 18:39
I agree with Sigur that Warhammer Quest (or HeroQuest) would be something I'd like to see in print again. Though I also agree with him that Descent is a better ruleset.

Nocculum
30-12-2012, 17:27
Dark Future has not been remade, though I think Mad Max has died it's death, and it's need a radical redesign.

They could easily make Waaagh Racers using a similar rules design, though.

yabbadabba
30-12-2012, 17:42
I think FFG would be daft to do WHQ. However doing a WFRP intro board game would be something entirely fitting into their business needs and strategy!

Hengist
20-02-2013, 17:00
Indeed. Given that FFG already publish Descent, a dungeoncrawler set in Terrinoth (their own fantasy universe, also the setting of Runewars et al), they'd essentially be paying for a license in order to compete against themselves by rereleasing WHQ.

To be honest, much as a rereleased WHQ would be a fun nostalgia trip for those of us of a certain age, it would, unless rewritten from the ground upwards, look very dated in comparison with Descent, Legend of Drizzt and (especially) Kingdom Death.

To return to the OP, Armageddon and Doom of the Eldar were, like Horus Heresy, both pretty good for the time; from what I understand, FFG paid for the rights to redo the lot, but their HH game didn't sell well enough to justify further work on the series.

Badbones777
06-03-2013, 13:24
I used to have a "The Emperor and Friends invade Horus' Battle Barge" game, but I have a feeling this was a WD freebie.

Back when WD was, you know, all good and stuff...

It was indeed, I had it myself, and it was fantastic - wish I still had it.

An FFG remake of Dark Future would be pretty good I reckon (not strictly a board game of course, but....)

Alsiaie
06-03-2013, 18:47
What about Doom of the Eldar? I own an original copy. Although heavily unbalanced, the game is worth the laughs alone.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
10-03-2013, 13:35
I've often thought the best thing GW could do was to give Specalist Games to FFG, they have proved themselves a good miniatures company thanks to X-wing and Dust, so I don't really see the harm of them bringing back classics such as Blood Bowl, Mordheim, Man'O War, Warhammer Quest etc, GW would still get a cut of the profits.

Hell WhQ still makes me itch my head as plenty of people where buying Warhammer figs to use in the game, even though they didn't actually play Fantasy Battles, it seems a total win win game from a profits standpoint for GW to do a fire and release version, even if they don't do any additional warrior or Quest packs.

Doom of the Eldar would be a good follow up to Horus Heresy, but thats a shame if the 'low sales killed it before it could happen' situation is accurate. Hmmm maybe Dungeon bowl, make it a smaller scale, go nuts with Dungeon floor plans and really make the Wizard college teams unique compared to the old Blood Bowl ones, I'd also be in the line for Dark Future, I have some fun memories of that one.

BTJ
10-03-2013, 19:54
Part of FFGs license with GW is that they don't make a miniature game based on 40k and fantasy. Also, the X-wing minis use the same kind of plastic that DnD, pathfinder, etc. use. Doubt many GW fans would appreciate minis of that quality.

Hengist
10-03-2013, 20:08
What about Doom of the Eldar? I own an original copy. Although heavily unbalanced, the game is worth the laughs alone.

As I said, from what I recall being stated at the time FFG's Horus Heresy remake was announced, they have paid for the rights to all three of GW's cardboard chit boardgames - certainly GW took down the official PDFs of Armageddon at that time. If they haven't released it, I presume it's because they don't anticipate it selling in sufficient quantities to justify the expense of a rewrite, new art and plastic pieces. FFG also already produce similar games to the GW boardgames: Runewars (part of their own IP), and the licensed Conan and Game of Thrones strategy games.

I've often thought the best thing GW could do was to give Specalist Games to FFG, they have proved themselves a good miniatures company thanks to X-wing and Dust, so I don't really see the harm of them bringing back classics such as Blood Bowl, Mordheim, Man'O War, Warhammer Quest etc, GW would still get a cut of the profits.

FFG would be silly to take on Warhammer Quest: as publishers of Descent (also a vastly superior game to WHQ), they'd be paying for a license to compete with themselves. Moreover, FFG have progressively been building-up Terrinoth, their own proprietory fantasy world, through board and card games, and I'd I'd be surprised if they didn't have their own plans for a skirmish game or even someday a mass battle game in that setting, making paying through the nose (as GW would doubtless oblige them to) for a license to release a generic fantasy game even more pointless.

sigur
12-03-2013, 17:23
I guess WHQ mostly lives through how it's back from the great days of GW and from the fact that we're all familiar with these monsters and the artistic style and whatnot. I played it recently - it was fun. Did have a bit of a Descent vibe to it but mostly duie to the "board" I think. (thank god too because I never really got into Descent.)

But yeah, that's a very good point about it makes no sense to re-release Heroquest, WHQ and so on these days. Just snatch a copy off ebay for 200 million of your local currency. :D

Morathi's Darkest Sin
13-03-2013, 16:34
Ah the FFG not making it does make sense now you mention that Hengist, not that I've ever taken notice of FFG's fantasy world mind. Tbh I didn't realise it even had a name till you mentioned it and I own and have played several games of Descent 2nd ed.

Oh and too damned right about buying WhQ Sigur, really regret selling my two copies/all warrior packs seven years on. Although I did keep the rule books from one of the boxes.