PDA

View Full Version : The best of the rest!

MOMUS
25-10-2012, 19:33
This thread aims to compile a list of some of the best/unique/interesting board games out there.
This is a place you can reminisce and suggest a few of your personal favourites so others may enjoy digging out those games that were real gems but got lost in the sands of time...

I will use this first post as a place holder and hopefully include links to websites/webstores.

Zombies!! (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=zombie+board+game&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=7670178733&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=849232670564552388&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_4l49zcnt62_b
)
Through the ages (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25613/through-the-ages-a-story-of-civilization)
Eclipse (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/125898/eclipse-rise-of-the-ancients)
Blockus (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2453/blokus)
7 Wonders (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68448/7-wonders)
Red dragon inn (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24310/the-red-dragon-inn)
Pret-a-porter (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/87890/pret-a-porter)
stronghold (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/45986/stronghold)
Carcassone (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/822/carcassonne)
Arkhma horror (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15987/arkham-horror)

Poseidal
26-10-2012, 09:05
Historical Civ like games I like (not including space civ games)

One I play quite regularly is Through the Ages, which can take a while but originally envisioned as a civilisation board game so covers quite a lot. It is much more abstract but still covers the growth of a civilisation from ancient times through until modern.

The dice based Roll Through the Ages is good too, and because its simplified is very fast to play; may e shorter than half an hour.

A very different take is 7 Wonders. This one is also fast to play, is mostly card based and is more centred around the wonders your civilisation builds (though not totally based around it).

BigbyWolf
26-10-2012, 12:12
Zombies!!! The Board Game, by Twilight Creations.

It's a cracking game, and the board is built by placing the map tiles randomly each turn, so no game is identical. The game is also a "living project" (ironically...:shifty:) in that they release expansions every now and then, with card suggestions and rules developments provided by the community.

The base game contains 30 tiles, a deck of cards (a mixture of cards that can boost your character, hinder your opponents or just generally cause humorous mayhem) and a selection of plastic figures (player models and zombies). You place the town square tile in the centre of the board, pop the player models on there, give everyone three bullet tokens, three life tokens and three cards, and off you go!

Everyone starts by drawing a map tile (and, if they've played any of their cards draw enough to take them back up to three) and placing it, some are basic streets, and you put a zombie on each road exit (i.e for a crossroads you would place 4 zombies). Others are specific buildings which have a listed number of zombies inside and usually bullet and life tokens, certain buildings also relate to cards, for example in the Fire Station you can play the Fire Axe card, etc.

The aim of the game is to be the first to reach the helipad (if done correctly, one of the last map tiles you will draw) or be the first to kill 25 zombies. Or, as encouraged by the designers, you can make up your own. The rest of the rules are simple. You roll a d6 for your movement, should you move onto a square with a zombie, you roll a dice, 4+ the zombie is yours, anything less and you lose a life token and reroll the combat. Bullet tokens can be used to add +1 to your roll. If you die you go back to the town square and start again.

The game itself gets very competitive but is great fun, and the expansions help keep it fresh. Currently available are:

2- Zombie Corps- An army base expansion that introduces glow in the dark "Government Enhanced Zombies (harder to kill).

3- Mall Walkers- As it says, a shopping mall for you to fool around in.

3.5- This is just a selection of extra cards for you to mix in with any set.

4- The End- This is a complete stand-alone game, which can also be used as an expansion for the main game, or have any of the other expansions mixed in with it. The differences with this one is that you have zombie dogs instead of zombies (harder to kill, but they only do half a point of damage...half-heart tokens are included in the set), and the game is a bit weirder (some very odd cards in there). This one is set in the outdoors, so it's a lot easier to move across tiles, and to win you must kill 25 zombie dogs, or be the first to get to the cabin and read the necronomicon to banish the evil spirits (Evil Dead certainly had an influence here).

5- Schools Out- Set in a university, introduces "guts" tokens, which can help you have more cards in your hand.

6- Six Feet Under- Introduces subways and sewers to the main game.

7- Send in the Clowns- Brings Zombie clowns in...I’ve not got this one, so don't know too much about it.

8- Jailbreak- You start in a jail, and have to break out into the main town.

9- Graveyard- Zombie Kids! Don't know too much about this one either.

10- Feed the Addiction- This one looks a little complicated, but has something to do with your character being addicted to something...booze, sports, video games, etc, and gaining certain benefits or flaws from this during the game. Again, I don't really know how this one works.

11- Office- Another full stand-alone set that can also be combined with the others, this time it's set in an office building. Another on my "to buy" list.

The majority of the expansions come with new map tiles and event cards, and most of them are separate areas (i.e. you draw the entrance to the mall or school from the main pile, and build them separately from there) although some (6 Feet Under) fit in with the main set.

Phew! I didn't intend to write all this! If you've got through it, congratulations.

Now go buy the damn game! :mad:*

*- Please note, although it may seem like it, BigbyWolf is in no way affiliated with Twilight Creations.

angelismortis
26-10-2012, 19:50
You've sold me on the game. Does it work with two players or do you really need a larger group?

BigbyWolf
27-10-2012, 10:48
You've sold me on the game. Does it work with two players or do you really need a larger group?

Works with two players, but is a lot more fun with more. Two players can usually get a better game out of an expansion (although the main set would be needed for the dice, tokens and models).

I forgot to add, it's a relatively cheap hobby, the main and stand-alone sets are around 20, with the expansions ranging between 8-10.

angelismortis
27-10-2012, 13:42
Thanks. I'll have to try it out.

AquaSulis
03-11-2012, 10:55
My favourite games over the last twelve months (excluding shorter filler games) have been ...

Eclipse
Twilight Imperium (third edition)
Gears of War: The Board Game
Quarriors!
Thunderstone
Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game
Shadow Hunters
Alien Frontiers
Lords of Waterdeep
Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)

Check out BoardGameGeek for detailed reviews ...

sigur
03-11-2012, 21:12
A game I really enjoyed over the past year or so is Blokus. It's so simple yet so engaging. You can never have just one game and you can explain the rules in basically one sentence. Then there's of course 7 Wonders which I enjoy a lot, probably my favorite game at the moment. Red Dragon Inn is one we started playing occasionally as a "night-ender" and it's very much fun if you're willing to roleplay a little.

Poseidal
04-11-2012, 09:13
My favourite econ game is probably Pret a Porter.

Mage Knight board game is a fun adventure romp too, sort of combining a deck building element (buying new spells and advanced actions for your action deck) with an adventure game.

MOMUS
12-11-2012, 06:41
I like the idea of Zombies! it looks like a Carcassonne style of game. :yes:

BigbyWolf
12-11-2012, 11:01
WARDMUS- If you want to pop this in the first post- http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/

It’s the site for the company that makes Zombies!!!, and Humans!!! and all the fun stuff related to them.:yes:

sigur
12-11-2012, 17:53
A game I really enjoy is FRAG. I only played it about four times but I really like it for how random, fast and silly it is. It's nothing for "serious" boardgamers (seriously, why is there such a thing?) because this game is all chaos and luck and you have to be familiar with deathmatch-style FPS games and it's one of those games you have to be "in character" for. Kinda like with Red Dragon Inn. It's all about the theme.

Danny76
19-11-2012, 01:48
I liked Zombies when I was younger, but I think I've found it a bit more boring in recent years.
Carcassonne is awesome isn't it MOMUS =).

I'll tell you what is awesome and new and zombie related - Zombicide. It's a cooler game than zombies!! for me, but Zombies was a classic game so I guess belongs on the list =D.

Some other games that are awesome are Catan,
Race For The Galaxy,
Puerto Rico,
Survive: Escape From Atlantis,
Cutthroat Caverns,
Betrayal On The House On The Hill,
Battlestar Galactica,
Descent,
Civilisation,
Stronghold.
Some not so old necessarily, but worth looking into none the less.
(I also love some of the Warhammer FFlight games, Chaos In The Old World and such).

Grimmeth
20-11-2012, 10:03
I recently Discovered Small Worlds, and can't recommend that enough. Simple, fast but with an interesting mechanic where the races you pick can go into 'decline' so you can pick new races.
This is worth a watch if you've got half an hour or so, explains the whole thing better than i can:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9QtdiRJYro

ColShaw
28-11-2012, 15:23
The games I currently enjoy greatly are:

Race for the Galaxy
Puerto Rico
Carcassonne
Settlers of Catan
Descent: Journeys in the Dark
Caylus
Agricola
Arkham Horror
Pandemic
Reiner Knizia's Lord of the Rings
Dominion

yarrickson
28-11-2012, 23:21
I bought Bohnanza after someone mentioned it in the thread asking for a board games forum. Endless fun trading beans. Play it at least a few times a week now and almost every visitor to the house gets taught how to play.

blackcherry
30-11-2012, 16:58
I like the idea of Zombies! it looks like a Carcassonne style of game. :yes:

I was going to say Carcassonne! Its a pretty fun little game that clearly has stood the test of time.

Infernal Contraptions is a good game as well. http://privateerpress.com/bodgers/products/infernal-contraption-2nd-edition

sigur
01-12-2012, 10:04
I bought Bohnanza after someone mentioned it in the thread asking for a board games forum. Endless fun trading beans. Play it at least a few times a week now and almost every visitor to the house gets taught how to play.

God, I have such bad memories of this darned game. :D It's really embarassing but I think I just didn't get it at that time. Seems to be a really good game though.

Nocculum
07-12-2012, 21:27
Not sure if it counts, but Rory's Story Cube's, and it's various variants and expansions (basically, different dice), make for excellent tools both for role-playing games, and for current board games.

Drinking required, or imagination - drinking's easier...

Also, I've been playing Chronoauts lately, an excellent, quick, and easy game to play, but difficult to master - definitely worth checking out!

Poseidal
09-12-2012, 09:26
If you have a reasonable amount of players (5-7 I think is ideal), Shadowhunters is a lot of fun. You have two factions but you don't know who your teammate or enemies are (and some players roll bystanders), and you must eliminate the other team but revealing who you are puts you as an immediate target to the enemy team.

shelfunit.
18-12-2012, 18:09
Currently my most played/fav games are..

Arkham Horror
Ticket to ride (orignal wth the 1910 expansion) - also soon to have the Ticket to ride Europe game (again with the [this time] 1912 expansion)
Settlers of Catan (with cities and knights expansion)
Twilight Struggle (possibly the most complex game I have ever played)

sigur
23-12-2012, 23:08
I've heard only great things about twilight struggle but I think I'd have a hard time finding someone to play with. :S

BTJ
24-12-2012, 00:32
If you like dungeon crawlers and have the time, Super dungeon explore and Orderof the Stick are both epic. SDE justreminds me of old 16-bit video games(whichwas the point, admittedly), and the mins in it are chibis, so there's that. Our first game with the LGS's demo set one of my friends decided she didn't want to kill any kobolds because they were 'too cute to die'(her words).

Oots is decent by itself, but it's amazing if you've read the webcomics. It does take forever to play(we spent five hours on a three-level game once), but if you let your self get into it, most of the time you'll be in bits laughing(barbeque sauce traps, turning people into newts, etc.). Also, Elan has Banjo, so that's like a million plus points right there!

Zinegata
30-12-2012, 03:24
I've heard only great things about twilight struggle but I think I'd have a hard time finding someone to play with. :S

It's pretty good. We had a tourney of it locally last year. However, I would argue that its sequel, 1989, is a better game, as Twilight Struggle is imbalanced towards the Soviets.

BTJ
30-12-2012, 12:57
Having played my first game of it the other night, I'd actually like to add Twilight Imperium to my list above. I think part of the fun we had with it was our group plays Game of Thrones regularly, so there was a lot of paranoia added to every move we made. There's also the political card that has a 50/50 chance of either giving everyone two tech advances, or nuking Mecatol Rex and every system adjacent to it. Having abused it to win the game, however, I'd say the Imperial strategy card is a little much in any less than 6 player games.

shelfunit.
30-12-2012, 15:56

This is a problem - I seem to have grasped the basics enough to brutally trounce my wife eveytime we play, with the result that she no longer wants to (sadly I find it very difficult to play to lose and the game doesn't really lend itself to "open" play where you let your opp see al your inhand cards)

It's pretty good. We had a tourney of it locally last year. However, I would argue that its sequel, 1989, is a better game, as Twilight Struggle is imbalanced towards the Soviets.

I've seen it around and from the box it looks like the gameplay is very similar. I agree in the early game TS is easier for the Soviets, but the later game seems weighted heavily to the US.

Solun Decius
30-12-2012, 22:39
I've been doing weekly game nights with more or less the same group of people for a bit over a year now and here are a few games that we've tried, all of them good in a way, but for very different moods and purposes.
Our group is really all about strategic games with a health dose of plotting and backstabbing.

Chaos in the Old World
This is the game we played solely for the first few months and it's still our main go-to game when nothing else is particularly on our minds. I find the replay value immense, because the races are very different and the board is set up a bit differently each time, so it's never the exact same game. It's also warhammer and chaos with a bunch of little plastic figures so what can go wrong?
I really can't recommend this one enough.

Rex: Final Days of an Empire
This is a Fantasy Flight game set in the world of Twilight Imperium, but it's based on an old Dune boardgame. The battle system in this is so intense and the whole game such a struggle. It's like a constant state of deadlock until someone takes a chance and either sets up for the win or completely busts himself trying. Love it!

Twilight Imperium (with mandatory expansion)
This one is huge and takes 6-9 hours to finish (6hrs is a very short game in our experience) but it's well worth it if everyone involved is ready to sacrifice the whole day. Very very epic game that you feel that you almost always feel like could win right until the very end (it's important not to be out of the game with many hours to go).

RISK: Legacy
Yeah, it's just RISK, but it's done really nicely with missions that don't take 5+ hours to finish and the whole campaign setup with game elements being added as you play more game is just excellent. We haven't finished the campaign (this is partly a different group i'm playing with) but very excited to continue as we just unlocked some interesting stuff to use next time. The permanent changes to the game board are also pretty crazy.

Super Dungeon Explore
This one is totally different as it's one against the rest, so not the strategy game we're used to. I love how fast paced it is and that you can level up to super powerful in a single game, but te monsters also get tougher so it doesn't become too easy when the heroes get more powerful.

Battlestar Galactica (without any expansions)
This one is very fun and has the backstabbing/plotting element we love. Without the expasions it seemed to start playing out more or less the same everytime though, but i think we'll get the expansions andtry again later though. It was super fun the few times we played it.

Smallworld
This one is great if you want to play a strategic boardgame (or introduce the idea of them) with non-gamers or euro-gamers. Rules are simple but the games can be very varied and complex (in a way). For the purpose of our weekly game night it was pretty quickly swept off the table, probably never to return. Somehow lacked the intrigue we were used to in that group. have played it with other people though, and it's a good game even though game night gave up on it.

Mansions of Madness
This one really catches the Lovecraft feeling and it's sense of hopelessness. it still feels more like telling a story than playing a competitive game though, so even though it's Keeper vs. players it still requires the Keeper to make sure everyone is having fun. The role of the players are nice and simple and you can take a newbie into the game as a player without a problem. The role of the Keeper is almost too complex though, and it takes a lot of preperation to make the game run completely smooth. A good session of this game feels a bit like roleplaying, that anyone can participate in.

Arkham Horror
We only played this one two or three times, and without any expansions. We really are more interested in competitive games so this one wasn't right for us, but I had great fun playing it and I know groups that play this game almost exclusively every week and have done for years, so i think it's just our scheming, backstabbng group that didn't click with a purely cooperative game.

BTJ
31-12-2012, 11:28
Solun, have you tried game of thrones with your group? From the sounds of it, you'd love it, the amount of back-stabbing is ridiculous

Zinegata
31-12-2012, 12:45
I've seen it around and from the box it looks like the gameplay is very similar. I agree in the early game TS is easier for the Soviets, but the later game seems weighted heavily to the US.

The advantage tends to swing to the US later in the war, but the Soviet player can achieve auto-win before the late game evens starts.

shelfunit.
02-01-2013, 09:39
The advantage tends to swing to the US later in the war, but the Soviet player can achieve auto-win before the late game evens starts.

Yup - I've been close to a very early win before with the reds, if you get dealt the right cards and coup into Italy as almost your first action you can take over Europe for a first turn win.

ColShaw
02-01-2013, 14:50
I gave my brother Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer for Xmas, and we played the dickens out of it while he was visiting (6 games in 2 days). Really, really enjoy this game. It's a combination of deckbuilding and a strong Magic: The Gathering vibe, but without needing to buy booster packs all the time.

Solun Decius
03-01-2013, 09:58
@BTJ: No, I haven't tried Game of Thrones. My brother (part of my group too) said it's a pretty good game (the board game), but in his experience tends to play out nearly the same every time, so not great replay value, but that may vary between groups, I guess. His friends have been playing the GoT card game a lot though, and really enjoy that.

Grimmeth
03-01-2013, 10:58
I gave my brother Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer for Xmas, and we played the dickens out of it while he was visiting (6 games in 2 days). Really, really enjoy this game. It's a combination of deckbuilding and a strong Magic: The Gathering vibe, but without needing to buy booster packs all the time.

I've played Magic the Gathering with the Mrs a few times and she loves it, but I don't want to get into the whole having to spend a fortune on it thing.
If this has a similar sort of vibe then she may well enjoy it...

I've also been playing 7 Wonders recently - nice and quick with straightforward rules. Another deckbuilding kind of game.

BTJ
03-01-2013, 12:54
@BTJ: No, I haven't tried Game of Thrones. My brother (part of my group too) said it's a pretty good game (the board game), but in his experience tends to play out nearly the same every time, so not great replay value, but that may vary between groups, I guess. His friends have been playing the GoT card game a lot though, and really enjoy that.

It does and it doesn't. Each house has a particular tactic, Lannister turtle, Greyjoy own the western sea areas etc., but sometimes you can do really well going against a house's tactic(I played a game with Lannister very aggressively, was winning up until the last turn when the tides of battle cards went against me). Also, the expansion really shakes it up, house decks and deployment change quite significantly, and it's shorter. Well worth the €17 for it. Also, yeah the card game's brilliant.

Badbones777
06-03-2013, 23:38
Blackbeard, Twilight Struggle and Here I Stand (all by GMT) are great, if rather "Heavy" games.

Shadowhunters is indeed brilliant, and Aye! Dark Overlord! and Rockband Manager are pretty good fun too.

I adore the BSG board game and can heartily recommend it.

BigbyWolf
11-03-2013, 12:58
So, I had a bit of an Amazon-trawl earlier and found a few titles that grabbed my eye, just wondering if anyone had played them before:

Munchkin (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1556344732/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE)

Gloom (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/158978068X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE)

Red November (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1616610638/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJY1452SMYIFP)

Smash Up (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00875JE0C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2STL15WNZ4D5Q)

King of Tokyo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004U5R5BI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A15VZOEIYN32FC)

Tannhauser (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1589943783/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE)

Arkham Horror (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1589942108/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1JB3I5H14CIDK)

Most of them look like a bit of harmless fun, the Cthulhu one looks a bit more complex (but that's to be expected). The problem with that one is that none of my group (apart from yours truly) know anything about Mr Lovecraft...

Shush
11-03-2013, 13:14
I haven't played them Bigby but I saw an episode of Tabletop on Youtube which was on Munchkin. It looked good if you want to look that up :)

Solun Decius
11-03-2013, 13:46
@BigbyWolf:
I haven't played Munchkin apart from a short learning session but it's very popular and fairly simple. A while ago I was told that Munchkin: Cthulhu was the best one to get (so I bought it for my brother).
King of Tokyo I have played. It's crazy short, so you can play a dozen games in a evening. It's really fun, but maybe not the most interesting strategy game ever.
Arkham Horror is really good, but it's a cooperative game. My group likes cut-throat strategy better. It's a good game though, and while it's complex, it's really enough for one of the players to know it perfectly. Then he can control the drawing of cards and finding stuff in decks and all that, and others can just focus on their own character. As it's a coop game, that one controlling player will not be cheating or overly helping other players either.
My brother's gaming group (the other one, apart from ours) played Arkham Horror exclusively once a week for more than a year. In the end they had all the expansions and everything and seemed to enjoy it thoroughly all the time.

BigbyWolf
11-03-2013, 15:12
I haven't played them Bigby but I saw an episode of Tabletop on Youtube which was on Munchkin. It looked good if you want to look that up :)

Thanks Shush, I shall have to check it out.

@BigbyWolf:
I haven't played Munchkin apart from a short learning session but it's very popular and fairly simple. A while ago I was told that Munchkin: Cthulhu was the best one to get (so I bought it for my brother).
King of Tokyo I have played. It's crazy short, so you can play a dozen games in a evening. It's really fun, but maybe not the most interesting strategy game ever.
Arkham Horror is really good, but it's a cooperative game. My group likes cut-throat strategy better. It's a good game though, and while it's complex, it's really enough for one of the players to know it perfectly. Then he can control the drawing of cards and finding stuff in decks and all that, and others can just focus on their own character. As it's a coop game, that one controlling player will not be cheating or overly helping other players either.
My brother's gaming group (the other one, apart from ours) played Arkham Horror exclusively once a week for more than a year. In the end they had all the expansions and everything and seemed to enjoy it thoroughly all the time.

The Cthulhu and Zombies Munchkins were the ones that jumped out at me, so there's a good chance I'll give them a go at some point. The Tokyo game might be good for a little break every now and then, just to break up the general zombie madness that we go through.

We've been playing Last Night on Earth more than TC: Zombies!!! recently and have been enjoying the team aspect of that. We are quite happy to play games where you screw people over, but co-op does make a nice change so Arkham Horror might fit in nicely...I just might have to encourage my gaming group to do a little Lovecraftian research beforehand!

I've just dived in and bought Gloom anyway, I love the idea of making your character miserable to win, and preventing your opponents from winning by cheering them up. :D

Solun Decius
11-03-2013, 15:18
Yeah, Arkham is good. Just make sure you give it a few tries, as every once in a while you get a game that is just weird and impossible to win. Luck of the draw and such.

Lovecraft is mainly short stories anyway so everyone should enjoy doing a bit of that research, without taking immense amounts of their reading time to do it. Besides, once you pop you can't stop, eh?

Hengist
11-03-2013, 17:32
Of what I've played of Bigby's list above, I'd recommend Red November (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36946/red-november) and Gloom (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12692/gloom) as excellent light games. Red November, in which the players are desperately struggling to repair a sinking submarine, is a tense little co-operative game with a clever time mechanic. Gloom is simply an excellent game; the theme is a sort of reverse-Happy Families, in which players inflict cruel and amusing fates upon an Edward Gorey-esque family of freaks and misfits, and the whole package marries that theme very elegantly with its components (transparent stackable cards), gameplay (amusing and simple to learn, but not dumb).

Munchkin (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1927/munchkin) is... Munchkin. I find it acceptable in small doses, but the gameplay is very light indeed, relying almost entirely on interpersonal dynamics. Despite its numerous iterations (Star Munchkin, Munchkin-Fu, Vampire Munchkin, et al), every game plays out much the same. In my opinion, there are much better beer-and-pretzels card games out there, like Fluxx (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/258/fluxx) (in its various incarnations; I'm particularly fond of the Python one (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36345/monty-python-fluxx)) or most of Cheapass Games' back catalogue (I'd particularly recommend Lord of the Fries (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1536/lord-of-the-fries) and Light Speed (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5534/light-speed)), which are quicker to learn, quicker to play and more entertaining (as well as being cheaper). You can in fact download the rules and components to print out a fair number of Cheapass' games from their own website (http://www.cheapass.com/freegames/major) for free!

Tannhauser (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25261/tannhauser) I've only played a few times; I like the theme and the production values are high, but gameplay-wise, it's a bit of an uneasy mash-up of boardgame and wargame, and not very deep for the price (a typical FFG game, then). Incursion does the 'weird war II' theme better, and there are plenty of much better squad-level board wargames – Hybrid (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8515/hybrid), Claustrophobia (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36932/claustrophobia) and Project Pandora (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/120444/project-pandora-grim-cargo) (which I'll discuss in more detail in another post) all come to mind.

Arkham Horror (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15987/arkham-horror) is fun, particularly if you like Lovecraft, but the theme is rather superficial - the game does not play out in any which resembles an HPL story, you could be in any town, fighting any old monsters - and it's a massive and bloated sink of time and money. On the rare occasions I can find six uninterrupted hours to play a big, sprawling thematic game, I go for Runebound (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21523/runebound-second-edition) (essentially a modernised Talisman, writen by the very talented Martin Wallace) or the epic, majestic Twilight Imperium (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12493/twilight-imperium-third-edition), which in my opinion integrate theme and gameplay better. If it's Lovecraft you want, FFG's own Call of Cthulhu LCG (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40270/call-of-cthulhu-the-card-game) in fact does a much better job of duplicating the atmosphere of his stories, and doesn't take an eternity to play, either.

I've jotted down some thoughts on the subject of games to appeal to a Warhammer crowd, but they've turned into a bit of an essay, so I'll return with them anon.

BTJ
11-03-2013, 21:50
Bigby, The only one on your list I've played is Munchkin. If your group likes cut-throat, get it, it's hilarious. While the different themes are neat, it's the same game. I will agree with Hengist that there are cheaper card games, and again with the suggestion of Fluxx. The only rules are that you start with four cards, you draw one card a turn, and you play one card a turn. Everything else is on the specific cards you play. Another good one is Chrononauts, where you go back and screw with the major events of the last century or two (both world wars, the titanic, JFK and Lincoln's assassinations, etc.). Also, I think it's around a tenner on book depository if you were tempted.

sigur
12-03-2013, 17:27
Describing Runebound as a modernized Talisman really isn't the first thing I'd think of. :D Talisman is it's own thing and in a time bubble. You roll dice, you get drunk and at some point you call it a night. With Runebound I don't really get the lightheartedness, especially with that crapton of expansions.

Since christmas I played more Munchkin than ever before in my life I have to say and ...yeah, it's okay. I definately wouldn't make it my go-to game though. I like the cards, I like the humour but I wonder what happens after I got familiar with all of that?

BTJ
12-03-2013, 19:52
Do what I did, leave it, find similar games to it, then go back to it every once in a while. And never play it sober. Mild inebriation makes the games so much more ridiculous IMO

Badbones777
13-03-2013, 22:08
Red November is a cracking little game, lots of fun. As has been mentioned the CoC Lcg is fantastic - probably my fave and I say that as someone who plays all the FFG Lcg's excepting
Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. It's just...... Play it!

I will reiterate the awesome of Here I stand, but perhaps should add that you need to a) be prepared to read many, many rules, b) be prepared to leave it set up (possibly for weeks or even months)
and c) ideally have the full six players.

Stoner Fluxx is probably my favourite of that range, but all of the ones I have played have been great.

Merging the easy, fun nature of Gloom with Lovecratian horror, can I suggest Cthulhu Gloom!?! It plays the same but with a group that knows the mythos/has played games set in it, it can kind of add an extra layer of fun.
Alternatively Elder Sign is pretty good fun if you want a dose of Mythos horror without quite as much time, space and effort required by Arkham horror.

also, @ Solun Decius, Super Dungeon explore is indeed fantastic, and given the forum we are on I cannot believe I forgot Chaos in the Old world!
If you have access to them, I would say give the BSG expansions a try - I think they do add to the game (although I don't get them out often as they do add a lot to the playing time needed).

BigbyWolf
18-03-2013, 12:18
Played “Gloom” for the first time at the weekend. Just a quick game with two players, but still a lot of fun. Very morbid, but the story-telling aspect is good.:yes:

ColShaw
18-03-2013, 15:25
Had a good game of Descent last night, Tomb of Ice expansion. Nothing says fun like holding a gigantic ice dragon by the tail to keep it from swallowing your fellow party members! (I couldn't actually hurt the Ice Wyrm, due to its special abilities, but I could Grapple it, so I did so, while frantically using defensive Feats to avoid getting gulped down. It ran out of health just before I ran out of defense.) A narrow victory to the heroes! :)

Kamenya
21-03-2013, 20:29
There is always the classic list of games: Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Ticket to ride and Lost cities. I'd also add Forbidden Island as an absolutely fantastic Co-op game.