PDA

View Full Version : What to buy to start Epic.

Brett_Gearing
15-05-2006, 04:02
A friend and I are starting up with Epic, but we're a bit perplexed by army creation so far.

We're using Eldar and Baran Siegemasters. We'd like to start with only a couple basic packs until we see how it works.

Precisely what should we buy to get the minimal working armies that can be built upon as we learn the rules?

orangesm
15-05-2006, 05:39
For Eldar you can start with the Swordwind box set to get started - it should give you a few formations.

For Baran Siegemasters it is a little more difficult as they need a few more stands (what stat lines are written for and what is sometimes refered to as a unit, takes 6 stands of Marines to make 3 squads or a tactical formation). I would once again start with the Siege infantry box set - probably two of them and get a box of Ragnaroks or other tanks.

fracas
15-05-2006, 11:29
there are box sets?

Colonial Rifle
15-05-2006, 11:39
Eldar are e-bay fodder - have a look for a good deal. Falcons, guardians and support weapons should be easy to get hold off, Aspects less so.

SiegeMasters - hum, think your going to have to pay full wack. :(

orangesm
15-05-2006, 12:54
Well at least stateside there are boxes that contain say 5-6 plastic sprues, or a tank company, or an infantry company etc. You can get both of those armies minis from GW currently and do not nessecarily need to go E-Bay hunting.

StugMeister
15-05-2006, 19:15
For Siegemasters just buy the standard IG Infantry Company boxed set - a helluva lot cheaper!

I say buy an IG Company, 6 Ragnoraks, 6 Siegfrieds and you can always proxy the artillery with your own miniatures/creations.

Brett_Gearing
16-05-2006, 01:17
I understand he already bought the seige company box.

I ordered the eldar box. The one that has a bit of everything for 20 bucks. Is that enough for us to play a game, though? I've been told previously that I might need two of those boxes.

Agent Brown
16-05-2006, 16:23
Get thyself to ebay. You could, just about, have a game with the forces you've got but it'll be short and small. Try ebay, pick up some cheap stuff and have a bash with that. Orks and SM go pretty cheap (for the plastics) so try them to get a feel for the game.
Eldar are probably the most mobile race in the game while siegemasters are the most static so your starting forces probably won't give you a good idea of what EpicA is really like. Eldar are also a pretty difficult race for a beginner to handle. I'd try using a couple of small units as allies to another force, just to get the hang of them. Could just be me, though.
Have a look here

http://www.epic40k.co.uk/epicomms/ikonboard.cgi

the unofficial home of EpicA. Lots of nice, helpful people there.

StugMeister
17-05-2006, 07:11
To get used to Epic, me, my bro and a mate have been having 1500pt games. Small enough to have a game in a couple of hours and also still allows you to get used to the game mechanics.

Brett_Gearing
18-05-2006, 00:24
Well, I don't buy gaming stuff on ebay, because I like having a game store to play at.

And don't worry too much about the complexity.. we know what armies we want and that's what we're playing. I'm just wondering what it takes to get a workable more or less legal army to start working out the mechanics. Is just that warhost box going to do that?

Hojyn
18-05-2006, 11:30
And don't worry too much about the complexity.. we know what armies we want and that's what we're playing. I'm just wondering what it takes to get a workable more or less legal army to start working out the mechanics. Is just that warhost box going to do that?

For the Eldar, I'd advise you to add a few vehicles (4 Wave Serpents would allow you to carry an Aspect Warrior warhost) for added mobility (the Eldar are all about mobility).
Then you could add some War Engines (a Scorpion grav tank or two, for example) and some air units (Vampire Raiders are great).

For the Siegemasters, the IG infantry box is really much cheaper and you will need A LOT of infantry, so you're better off with the IG box (only 12 instead of 20 and you get twice as much models).
You'll need artillery too: for that, I'd advise you to use Forgeworld IG models (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_EPIC_40_000_IMPERIAL_GUARD_17. html), which are great and somewhat cheaper than GW models. Earthshaker platforms for Howitzers, Hydra platform for some AA guns, a few Super Heavy tanks, and you're all set.
You'll need fortifications, as well, they are an essential part of the Siegemasters, but can be handmade easily (There's a good tutorial for these in the Swordwind book).

Agent Brown
18-05-2006, 17:56
Well, I don't buy gaming stuff on ebay, because I like having a game store to play at.

Why would buying GW products from ebay prevent you from using them at a store? It's just a good way to save money when you're starting a new project. If you don't like it you haven't wasted a fortune.
Still, up to you.

orangesm
18-05-2006, 20:27
Because he is supporting his local store by buying them there... meaning it stays open.

Brett_Gearing
18-05-2006, 22:22
That's just it.. If people don't buy things at their stores, the stores close.

If I buy the stuff on ebay like most everyone else, and the store goes out of business, then I don't play wargames anymore. So I've wasted tons of money. It's a better bargain to spend more now.

Not to mention I think it's *******' rude to go into a place and use their facilities to show off all the stuff I bought elsewhere.

Anyway.. Thanks for the advice. I expect we'll be getting most of that stuff. But still, I want to know if it's possible to play the game in the simplest possible way just with an eldar warhost box and a Baran siegemaster's box. We're trying to work out the rules first and then start adding as we get the hang of it.

orangesm
18-05-2006, 22:43
The simple answer is yes, as long as you each can build two formations of equal size.

Brett_Gearing
19-05-2006, 05:06
Thanks.

Is that one formation per player of equal size? Or two formations each player?

And does anyone know if the contents of those two boxes allow that?

orangesm
19-05-2006, 05:17
I would say two formations per player at least. This lets you learn about how the number of formations effects games.

Agent Brown
20-05-2006, 07:21
Because he is supporting his local store by buying them there... meaning it stays open.
Gotcha. I assumed he meant that minis from ebay would be illegal for use in a GW store. Do'h.
In my neck of the woods the only games store is GW, and they don't stock EpicA. I've never had the luxury of choice so ebay is my first port of call.