PDA

View Full Version : Talisman

corps
05-11-2012, 00:04
because their is no specific room for this games i put it here because both games are for me close.

so my question is simple how is the latest edition ? does someone have try it?

Purplebeard
15-11-2012, 18:56
Not tried it, sorry.

I've never managed to getting any edition of the game. I generally only look at (the older editions) for extra warrior figures for Warhammer Quest or Heroquest.

talion
15-11-2012, 22:54
i only have the second edition with all the expansion packs.........it's one hell of a game can last forever, longest game i ever played was 24hrs, split in two sessions with sleep in the middle.......then we gave up as no-one wanted to go to the centre of the board.

sigur
16-11-2012, 01:26
Hey, we got a boardgames section for that kind of thing now! :)

Anyhow, I played a fair bit of 4th edition and 4th edition revised. 4th edition revised is pretty darned good ruleswise. I mean it's still good old Talisman. It's not perfectly balanced but better than before, it's random as all hell but I love it. Sadly we hardly ever play it these days because it just takes so long. I got the Dungeon expansion and the Grim Reaper one (especially the latter adds another layer of random fun to the game). The production quality was AMAZING on the original 4th edition. Really top notch stuff. Unfortunately the rules were a little wobbly. When FFG took over and reworked the rules and the stats of the characters a little they did the usual good job and added soft plastic models for the heroes (not really necessary in my opinion. I got to know and love Talisman in 2nd edition and that was all cardboard).

Anyhow, the latest edition is very good. It's Talisman through and through so if you like that you'll like 4th edition revised. It's just that now there are tons of small expansion boxes around too (and a few bigger ones). :)

MOMUS
17-11-2012, 08:02
I always found Talisman too easy to certain characters. I had the third edition and the dungeon of doom expansion, really wanted city of adventure. The models were actually pretty good, my family used to play it at xmas and easter.

Poseidal
19-11-2012, 18:28
Played Talisman quite a bit before, and although it's a bit random it can be good fun. I've got the Dungeon, Highland and Reaper expansions. Do any of the others add to it well?

Crymson
26-11-2012, 11:13
I play Talisman with my 6 year old son (though I read the cards) if that is any indication as to how 'complex' it is :)

sigur
01-12-2012, 10:03
I guess we're all aware about the "complexity" of Talisman. ;)

@Poseidal: What's the Highlands one like?

Poseidal
01-12-2012, 10:34
I only got to play it once, but worked similar to dungeon (higher risk but higher reward than the main outer board). I think you get a treasure at the end and can teleport to the place of power IIRC but it's been a while since I played it.

corps
01-12-2012, 20:14
speaking of balanced what character is the most flow and wich one is unbalanced?

sigur
01-12-2012, 23:45
No idea, there are so many around. But the game is inherently unbalanced. To me that's a part of the game.

MOMUS
07-12-2012, 08:02
wich one is unbalanced?

I found the chaos warrior to be the easiest to play with, I cant quite remember the rules but I think he got extra experience? so that he could level up his stats quicker?

DarthSte
07-12-2012, 14:33
The assassin totally nails.

corps
08-12-2012, 13:30
i was thinking that the magi in contrats is hard to play.

lorelorn
09-12-2012, 04:04
The new edition from FF is great, certainly my favourite since 2nd edition. It has the spirit of the game without a lot of the niggles. The core roll and move gameplay is still there in all its glory.

As with other posters, I find myself playing this one with my kids, so I like that some characters are more powerful than others. I can give my daughters some useful abilities, while taking something of questionable value myself, to try and even things up.

corps
10-12-2012, 18:12
yes indeed sharing the experience of thegame during a youngster initiation is a good way to play talisman