PDA

View Full Version : favorite enemy

blitz589
08-06-2005, 20:49
What is your favorite enemy to vs.
(swarm, shooting, assault, armor heavy, fast)
I like to vs other assault armys, and non armor heavy army.

cubbster
08-06-2005, 20:56
As a kroot player I like to play armies that are geared to assualt, with few heavy vehicles! Any vehicles or too much shooting and my army dissolves remarkably quickly!

Bork
08-06-2005, 21:03
After having played mostly against Eldar with my Orks, I found it very refreshing to fight someone who wasn´t trying to run away, tyrranids.
But anyways, all battles that end in a massaker for both sides are generally fun.

zealousheretic
08-06-2005, 21:13
I'll second Bork's sentiment. Orks always provide an enjoyable game against my Tyranids. It's so refreshing to face someone who doesn't take one look at the swarm and promptly deploy as far away as humanly possible.

Plus, Orks vs. Tyranids almost always turn out nice and messy.

blitz589
08-06-2005, 21:28
notice that evreyone that posted plays an assault army

Reinnon
08-06-2005, 21:53
with my sons, nothing is quite as nice as facing a necron army, which for some strange reason go down pretty fast.

dark eldar are also a nice change in tempo, light tanks and limited armour on their troops, very nice

Pertinax
08-06-2005, 22:02
I don't have a favoured enemy armies. I have favoured opponents. i.e. the people that I play against.

They play lots of different armies, and they are all good fun to play against.

Xhalax
08-06-2005, 22:07
Guard are always fun to mash to a pulp when you're playing as marines.
Glorified torches and t-shirts against ceramite and bolts.....the fun just never stops.

Well with the exception of the heavy weapons and tanks. But against Infantry, IG suck!

blitz589
08-06-2005, 22:53
dark eldar are also a nice change in tempo, light tanks and limited armour on their troops, very nice
Any army with light armor is fun t play against, especialy with nids.

Xisor
08-06-2005, 23:01
I enjoy fighting against the Imperial Guard. Generally, they're tough for me. I always seem to struggle in the games against them, and find the exhilleration of being put under pressure one of the highlights of gaming. Whilst it's nice and fine to get a sound victory, and quite depressing to get absolutely gubbed, close games where each player really has to try their damndest during the game are always for more enjoyable.

Xisor

Strikerkc
08-06-2005, 23:13
I enjoy fithing Ork players a lot, they're often very fun gamers to hang out with. They seem to have fun even if they're getting reamed.

My favorite game to participate in and to watch, is a game between two short ranged shooting forces. It makes for a lot of manuvering and short range fire fights. Especialy if the two forces are less than stellar in hand to hand.

blitz589
08-06-2005, 23:21
My favorite game to participate in and to watch, is a game between two short ranged shooting forces. It makes for a lot of manuvering and short range fire fights. Especialy if the two forces are less than stellar in hand to hand.

Like guadsman with pistols

jesters89
09-06-2005, 00:21
Ill have to agree with Pertinax here. I dont have a favored army so much as favorite opponents. Any army can be fun to play against when the players are of the right mindset.

blitz589
09-06-2005, 00:36
How do you not like a specific army to play against, some armys always hide its kinda annoying.

Strikerkc
09-06-2005, 01:04
How do you not like a specific army to play against, some armys always hide its kinda annoying.

Some armies do tend to be less than interesting to play against. Blood angels has always seemed to be uninspiring to me. Players always seem of the mind set that they can't have heavy weapons and that BA don't use heavy weapons. If I made a BA army, I'd field it like a regular marine army, stick the Death Company in a rhino and use them like a hoped up tac squad. It'd be much more interesting to play against.

blitz589
09-06-2005, 01:29
the army i can't stand vs is tau, they insist on hiding in there devilfish tanks whenever they 3 a gaunt 2 ft away.

blitz589
09-06-2005, 01:31
Orks are probebly my favorite to vs because they actully move towards me, into the hail of the deadly spinefist lol, but its better then vs tau

Strikerkc
09-06-2005, 01:32
the army i can't stand vs is tau, they insist on hiding in there devilfish tanks whenever they 3 a gaunt 2 ft away.

Well, that's becuase three guants can eat through an entire Tau army :cool:.

And don't pick on the Tau man, they're a broken and battered army in 4th :cries:.

blitz589
09-06-2005, 01:42
there kroot should atleast be able to have ws4 or I4, even though kroot are taus assault units, a gaunt could kill 1

Strikerkc
09-06-2005, 01:59
there kroot should atleast be able to have ws4 or I4, even though kroot are taus assault units, a gaunt could kill 1

My opinion is that anything you have to upgrade to a 6+ armor save, stays at home. :rolleyes:

blitz589
09-06-2005, 02:01
ya, and isnt the upgrade like 18 or 28 pts

Strikerkc
09-06-2005, 02:04
ya, and isnt the upgrade like 18 or 28 pts

Doesn't matter. Upgrading to a 6+ negates the need to count points. :cries:

blitz589
11-06-2005, 01:19
Not to many people like to play space marines

Xisor
11-06-2005, 01:23
Yup. Whilst they are often an interesting enemy 'in their own right', the fact that more often than not your enemy is simply Space Marines(of many loyal and disloyal varieties), so after a game or to you beging to think 'My, I'd love to fight some of those rare Dark Eldar, or a nice Kroot Merc army, or damnit, something not T4 and 3+ Save!'.

Yes, this also tends to make Necrons an unpopular enemy, IMO. Witch Hunters with SoB on the other hand have been very enjoyable games so far.

I think the key here is moderation. :D

Xisor

Artemis_Quinn
11-06-2005, 01:53
I personally enjoy playing against armies where they are a challenge to win against but are not cheesy and not all focused on one thing. I think it's all well and good for an army to have a few units geared towards assault, and a few geared towards long range fire, and a few geared towards other things. As I have heard stated elsewhere..... Moderation is key. I don't like to play an opponent who has geared his whole force around one thing, that just becomes boring because once you figure out that one thing it's easy to eliminate. Against a well rounded force you really have to fight for a victory.

samtheman
11-06-2005, 04:12
Da' orkz!

I mean, really, their prime enemy is the Imperial Guard. Which I play. And they're so fun to play as, with as allies, or against. They might not win, but an ork always has style. Always.

And that's about all you need in an opponent.

Isuran Greifenherz
11-06-2005, 10:06
Sm marines!

As I used death Gaurd, it was very mutch fun stomping them in to the ground.
But know as I am going to start tau, I will see, what will head at my.

Grumnir
12-06-2005, 03:32
Foot slogging Orks.

Playing Foot Slogging IG makes this a very fun and characterful battle.

x-esiv-4c
12-06-2005, 03:34
I love to fight against swarm armies. I play DG now so it's always a lot of fun watching Lasguns ping off toughness 5 lads. Dead fun. Also, Nurgles rot is so much more effective when dealing with hordes.

The Dragon Reborn
12-06-2005, 03:45
I love to play against orks and nids very fun stuff

predatorsown
13-06-2005, 02:25
Preferred enemy: worldshatterers tuned eldar are a personal favorite hes beaten me but not often. In general I prefer to play against eldar, in the modern rules you'd have to really care for the eldar to play them and the local players are great and all are improving which makes my job harder and far more fun...

Gannon
13-06-2005, 07:47
My favorite fight has always been against Blood Angels. I tend to always be on the offensive, so it's good to get into the fray by turn two. It usually makes for a very unpredictable game. Fun and always keeping in spirit with the future that is only war.

Scythe
13-06-2005, 17:02
Orks, always fun to fight a horde army. More generally tough: a balanced army, not tricked out in just one area. It's not that I can't beat armies leaning towarths assault or shooting, but the game gets more interesting if each side can do a bit in each phase of the game.

Tim
13-06-2005, 18:22
I love to play against anyone other than Space marines and Chaos Space marines. It seems that everyone in our group (except me) plays some flavor of both of those armies. After a while BS4, WS4, SV3+, gets old fast. I play Tyranids, Orks and Tau. (sorta wish more of our group would branch out a bit.)

We do have a darkeldar player, but he tends to play them like low armor marines and losses so bad that its really not satisfying to play the army.

P.S. Necrons are just very dull space marines.

Sons of Russ
13-06-2005, 18:25
I love going up against tyranids or orks when I field my predators, I tool them as destructors with extra storm bolters and go to town!

Unforgiven
13-06-2005, 18:59
When I use tau I usually like to play orks, wondering if I can gun enough down before they get over the table and rip my fire warriors to shreds.

When I use marines, I don't really mind what I play as long as the person I am playing is a sportsman ie. not to strict with the rules. Thats not to say that I want them to allow me to re-do turns or anything but I dont like people who make me do a turn prematurely because I 'announced' it and forgot about one unit in the corner. But my marine armies are generally balenced so they can put op a fight against most armies...

Sanjuro
13-06-2005, 19:04
Imperial Guard. I love facing them, either with my own IG or with my Ultramarines. It's always a blast (in more than one meaning of the word) playing them, and to me it seems like IG players often tend to be very nice and easy going. Win or loss, a game versus IG is always a great time.

blitz589
13-06-2005, 21:13
I like going against guard to, because woth my tyranids it either ends up with my nids getting shot down or his guard getting ripped appart in assault.

The Beast
14-06-2005, 14:14
I like facing Imperial guard as well. Funny thing. This guy I play against has Space marines and complains that MY nids are cheesy because his 2 devastator squads has trouble taking down him and his 2 guards.

Ulfson
14-06-2005, 14:15
I gotta say, probably the most fun to play against would be marines... but the main reason I say this is because it seems that most of the people at our store play nothing but Marines and/or Chaos Marines.

I play Dark Eldar, and my army is built to take on mostly anything, and they are a pretty successful force. Some dark lance for anti-armour/tough infantry busting, Wyches for fighting, Talos for scaring the crap out of my opponant (and therefore not focusing his forces at what REALLY hurts), and at least 3 Raiders slinging my troops around the board.

The reason I like playing marines, is that they can be a tough nut to crack, but once you do it is a VERY satisfying experiance :).

I've started on IG now... I can't wait to see hwo they go.