PDA

View Full Version : Just got a copy!

Tarliyn
20-12-2012, 20:37
So I just got a copy of quest for a decent price. It didnt have any of the minis but mt large collection of random stuff easily fills that gap. I have never played the game before and am excited to try it but was wondering if there was anything as a new player I might want to know.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S_A_T_S
21-12-2012, 00:52
Welcome to one of the most fun games GW has ever produced! Just add friends (and in your case, models).

You can find a lot of info on WHQ if you trawl back through this part of the forum, but a brief summary of starter things to know:
*You WILL have some one die in the first dungeon if you play with straight rules.
*A good house rule is to start the first dungeon with D3 bandages each to spread the healing beyond the elf/wizard
*The wizard NEEDS to take healing hands for healing - the other options are simply not fast enough/reliable enough
*Freeze is a great starter spell
*Many people limit Unexpected Events to a single chain at a time (by chain, I mean if an event calls for a roll to see if you draw a new card, or an event spawns more than one set of monsters), so that all monsters from that event must be dead before another can be resolved. You will understand why when your wizard manages to roll three 1's in a row for Power...

That's what I can think of of my standard beginners advice for now. I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to add some more...

Purplebeard
21-12-2012, 08:06
Congratulations Tarilyn. WHQ is awesome and I love it.

I have to second what S_A_T_S said though. It is too tough on your first adventure without some slight tweaking. His suggestions are all good. But play a couple of games first to see what we mean :evilgrin:

iamtheeviltwin
21-12-2012, 16:51
WHQ is still one of my favorite games. My family and I sit down and play it still. Play the game straight a few times before doing any tweaking to get a good handle on the rules because like was mentioned above...be prepared to die, even in subsequent adventures. Although at some point your characters get insanely tough, the right combination of monsters and events can kill even a seasoned character. Which isn't really a problem...just roll up another. Also feel free to play with more or less than 4 people, just remember to scale the monsters accordingly the game works well with a group of 3-6 although we have done some insane games with 8 characters on the board at once before.

I would also recommend going online and getting your hands on all of the official GW character pack rules. While the core characters are good, some of the expansion characters are just a blast to play and can come to really unexpected ends (Like a high level Chaos Warrior wandering into the wastes...) Name of the game is fun and never take it too seriously. WHQ is classic "beer and pretzels" gaming at its finest.

BigRob
27-12-2012, 00:18
WHQ is classic "beer and pretzels" gaming at its finest.

It is, although when your play the advanced game with the RPG rules, we had a campaign run over a year and still hadn't made it to level 10.

First game advice....play with the characters as are and get a feel for the game.

Having all trouble and no fun? Give everyone 6 bandages, the wizard 6 power, everyone a 6 one the initial wounds dice, the wizard healing hands, freeze and any old defensive spell.

Quest is great and infinate possibilities await. Don't forget the trollslayer is in the back of the RPG book ;)

DonkeyMan
31-12-2012, 01:21
Congrats mate, you'll enjoy it a lot I'm sure!
WHQ is such a great game. Up to this day I wonder why GW isn't making a new version (considering the success od Decsent as well).

I did lend mine to friends and they lost it sadly. :cries:

BigRob
31-12-2012, 18:51
Congrats mate, you'll enjoy it a lot I'm sure!
WHQ is such a great game. Up to this day I wonder why GW isn't making a new version (considering the success od Decsent as well).

I did lend mine to friends and they lost it sadly. :cries:

They "lost it"? Hmmmm did you know it goes on eBay for 200+ ;)

DonkeyMan
01-01-2013, 23:29
They "lost it"? Hmmmm did you know it goes on eBay for 200+ ;)
Hehe, well since it included both Adventure packs and all Warrior packs, I guess it's worth was closer to a 1000.

But at the time they lost it, the game wasn't worth that much and was still easy enough to get.

They are good mates, just gawky I guess. Happened when they moved the house.

Daniel36
05-01-2013, 14:55
Moving a house is just a terrible, terrible decision to begin with. No wonder they lost stuff. >_<

BigRob
05-01-2013, 21:41
Sounds like a familar excuse, its the one GW used when they lost Warhammer Quest ;)

Purplebeard
08-01-2013, 08:46
If any of you just wants to play the game (and doesn't care too much about nostalgia value) then you can buy the books for MUCH less than the full game, and use your existing fantasy collections, or buy cheap old plastics (and sometimes metals) to give yourselves impressive monster collections.

Happy Questing! ;)

Tarliyn
31-01-2013, 18:33
So have played through my first few games and it has been great fun! Gotta say my best moment so far has been when my group had been rollung through a dungeon, we had cleared out a room filled to the edge with orcs and goblins, killed 3 minotaurs, cleared out the skaven, had lots of gold, and lots of treasures only to be wiped out by 10 giant rats, lol. It was great. Was going to be our first game where we kept out warriors too. Can't keep a group of dead warriors :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk