PDA

View Full Version : My own version of WQ

Shyvax
05-01-2013, 10:06
Hi guys,

I have been reading your amazing blog (Harry, Purple Beard, etc) and I was hoping I could share with you my ongoing project.
Before going further I have to say that I do not paint as much as I wish, and having two very young children isnt giving much free time, so I might not be able to update as much as I wish, but I ll try anyway.

So here we go:

This guy is my inspiration for the Wizard. If I do a bit of back story, he will eventually become the evil Sorcerer of HeroQuest, but first he need to prove himself a great wizard in the dungeons of Warhammer Quest :D
I have a rough idea for each characters story, once the project is more advance I ll write something to make them a bit more interesting as a group.
Second is my favorite dwarf illustration of all time:

I have started to paint it as you can see on the following images. I should be done with him this week end.

Also you might have notice, but I chose to put every minis on round bases, I find it more aesthetic. it remind me the pic of the Barbarian in the small book that came with Heroquest back then.

note: at this point I am thinking of finding new minis for the Barbarian and the Elf. But let's see how it goes once finished first. I also started to paint few orcs, I know there is more than the original number, but I like orcs. I will also paint some with bows ( in metal).

here is a little teaser of what's coming up:

I will send pic of the board with the minis on it as well. There is more that I havent show you, like minautors, skavens and maybe some more 'out of the box' minis I am planning to write rules for.

Andy_T
06-01-2013, 10:23
fantastic painting! what are your plans for the board? thought of cork? :)

Daemonslave
06-01-2013, 13:03
Also you might have notice, but I chose to put every minis on round bases, I find it more aesthetic.

Hey, stop copying me! :p

note: at this point I am thinking of finding new minis for the Barbarian and the Elf. But let's see how it goes once finished first.

I scoured the internet for good looking character and monster models (not just GW) - if you'd like a few ideas let me know.

I can't wait to see this log, should be a good un. Lovely painting by the way, especially the dwarf beard, looks perfect. :)

Goborn
06-01-2013, 21:50
If you wouldn't mind sending me ideas on where to go for models, i would greatly appreciate it.

Daemonslave
07-01-2013, 14:51
Any particular ones in mind, if I put my entire list on here it would fill the internet :p

Purplebeard
08-01-2013, 07:39
@Shy vax: Thanks for the compliment. I'm sure you're blog will shape up to be awesome! :)

Shyvax
08-01-2013, 21:56
@Andy_T. Thx mate, at this point, I do not plane on doing a custom board, I will focus on the minis first. But that could be a good idea once I am done painting :)
@Deamonslave. well yes, I did look at your blog, and I love it. Your minis are really cool, love the dwarf! I went on the website from the manufacturer but it seems to be not working at the moment. if you have a link I'll take it.
@Purplebeard.thx

So, here is the second post with an update... well actually two.

I finished to paint Master Dwarf, and here it is.

I tried to match somehow the white dwarf ref from Heroquest. Did I mentioned that it is my favorite dwarf illustration :D
While I was painting it, I really liked the dark skin tone, and I got to say that if I were to start a new WFB army, it would be Dwarf, with dark skins.

The second new is that I found my Elf and Barbarian... and potentially the Nobleman with the Ulli mini.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat490051a&prodId=prod1120057

Next step, moving forward with the orcs, basing the Minautors and Skavens and prime our new heroes.

Daemonslave
09-01-2013, 19:30
@Deamonslave. well yes, I did look at your blog, and I love it. Your minis are really cool, love the dwarf! I went on the website from the manufacturer but it seems to be not working at the moment. if you have a link I'll take it.

Thanks. Although mostly GW based, I look for whatever models I think are best (which are usually the most expensive :cries:). It's nice to see that the quality of other companies work are really giving GW a run for its money!

The dwarf can be found here;

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=114

but there are a lot of retailers who sell Avatars of War with some discount, so you are probably better off ordering from them.

Anyway, here's a list of models I have bought / are considering for 'Quest (Non GW and just the charaters);

Barbarian

Harthak Black Crow (Andrea Miniatures)
Wolf (Hasslefree)
Barbarian Hero (AoW)

Elf

Gavin Biting Hornet (Enigma)

Bright Wizard

Blight Witch (Studio McVey)

Grey Wizard

Ancient Male Mage (Elmore Masterworks)

Druid of Albion

Ulgren (Enigma)

Kislevite Shaman

Lord of the Feast (Privateer Press)
Bruma, Bone Wisperer (Enigma)

Dwarf Brewmaster

Drunkard Dwarf (Scibor)
Dwarf Reveller (Scibor)

Bounty Hunter

Lathiem, Oak Leaf (Enigma)

Dwarf

Dwarf Lord(AoW)
Dwarf Noble (AoW)

Imperial Noble

Don Hernandez (Degra Miniatures)
Imperial Noble (Freebooter)

Pit Fighter

Gladiator Retiarius (Tale of War)

Chaos Warrior

Chaos Marauder (AoW)
Morphus, Chaos Warlord (Enigma)

Bretonnian Knight

Balthus Steelhand (Dragonblood)
Veteran Hedge Knight (George R R Masterworks)
Ser Loras (George R R Masterworks)

Dwarf Slayer

Bor Dragonbane (AoW)
Dwarf Berzerker (AoW)

Halfling Thief

Tharttus, Halfling Thief (Enigma)
Dodgy Drexel (Red Box)

Salty Seadog

Pirate Captain (Hasslefree)
Blackbeard (Freebooter)
El Marques (Tale of War)
Jhonny (Resina Planet)

Ogre Warrior

Ogre (Heresy)

Witch Hunter

Solomon Lok (FW)
Witch Hound (AoW)

Warrior Priest

War Priest (AoW)

Hope this list helps :)

Harry
09-01-2013, 19:36
That wizard is fantastic. I swear if you had not told us I would have known he was from that illustration. I want one.
Look forward to more updates.

Shyvax
10-01-2013, 09:16
@Deamonslave: Amazing, I didnt know much about them, but man they are good! Love the Barbarian, very much like the Diablo 3 one. Why dont they do some boardgame WHQ style, they already have all the minis. Thanks for all the other minis as well, looks like you have spent a lot of time researching.

@Harry: cheers mate :D Heroquest is one of my favorite board game. That is how I started the hobby. All the parts are from the wizard box set, exept the head that is from the Knights box set. and I shorten the staff as well, it felt too tall.