PDA

View Full Version : House Rules?

jeroen84
12-01-2013, 15:49
Hi all,

I am going to start up a Warhammer Quest campaign with some colleagues. I want to add some house rules to balance things slightly more. BUT, I want to keep the changes as small as possible. What are your opinions about these, and do you guys use house rules at your own games as well?

Rule Adjustments

Wizard automatically gets Healing Hands as his starting healing spell.
The Wizard will add his BL to his available Power, even at BL 1. (Instead of only at BL2+)
Pit of Despair will be adjusted: Any model that has been moved by the Pit of Despair cannot take any action in their next Warrior/Monster Phase. Models fallen into the pit will be able to make a Strength Test (8) in the next two Warrior/Monster Phases to try to hold onto the sides of the pit and climb out. If the model succeeds AND if there is an available adjacent square, the model takes D6 unmodified Wounds for each round in the Pit and the model will move to an adjacent square. If there is no space or when the model does not succeed to climb out, remove the model from the board. Warriors can use their Rope to help a fallen Warrior out of the pit.
Attack spells can only be cast in the Wizards turn of the Warrior Phase.
Attack spells that do damage can only be cast in the Wizards turn of the Warrior Phase.
The Wizard must choose to either attack using a weapon or spell.
Warriors on zero Wounds are unconscious untill the end of next round.
Any warrior can explore, as long as he is on the same board section as the leader.
Gold is split evenly between all Warriors that have wounded a monster.
Gold is split evenly between all Warriors that have participated in defeating the monster by either: buffing/healing a Warrior while he is fighting it, debuffing the monster or damaging the monster.

GameMaster's Tools

Extra Unexpected Events if there hasn't been one for a while and depending on how successful the Warriors are at that moment.
Manual monster placement instead of the 1v1 rule in certain cases.
(sparely) When drawing (Objective Room) Treasure Cards, I will look at the card first. If I decide the item is too powerful for the characters current BL, I will redraw.
(sparely) If warriors become too powerful for their BL, I will use some event to straighten it out.

Daemonslave
12-01-2013, 17:35
Seems ok. I think I would also change the placing of the monsters rule as well. As it stands, ballistic weapons are pretty much useless, so perhaps placing monsters with a minimum space of D3 squares between them. Creatures who can Ambush may be placed as normal.

MasterSplinter
13-01-2013, 10:23
I like some houserule adjustments of yours alot. For example the way you divide gold between the characters - its much fairer then the official rules but also leaves room for competition between the warrirors. We did it one time that we splitted all the gold but in long terms that was taking thrill out of the game. I will try this with my friends next time.
The idea with the wizards attacking spells are fine, but i dont know what will happen when it comes to ogre strength and the like. As far as i know it will only last till the end of the round (correct me if im wrong) and that would be unfair to the barbarian (who already is at the lowest in the foodchain in my opinion) and the elf.

I agree that its pretty fine to have healing hands right from the start, and in some (most) times i think its necessary.

What ive found comes out to give the game a little better balance, if you roll the dice for power and unexpected events seperatly. Gives you a chance of not getting in the objektive room, rolling an UE, have no power, and manage to have three times in a row doubles of sixes and ones on the monster table, for landing 3 battle-level-tables higher, than your group really is (It always happens to me).
Sure, it can also happen if you just split the dice, but then you have atleast some power :)

yabbadabba
13-01-2013, 10:33
Looks fine apart from the gold. If you want it to be fair, you need to split as a percentage of wounds caused. Otherwise you still end up with an unfair distribution of reward vs labour.

jeroen84
13-01-2013, 10:52
Thank you all for your feedback!

Seems ok. I think I would also change the placing of the monsters rule as well. As it stands, ballistic weapons are pretty much useless, so perhaps placing monsters with a minimum space of D3 squares between them. Creatures who can Ambush may be placed as normal.
This is the reason Pinning exists. (And why the Elf has an automatic pinning win.) Maybe I'll do what you suggest in some cases, but not roll a D3 and just go with the flow and position them as I like.

The idea with the wizards attacking spells are fine, but i dont know what will happen when it comes to ogre strength and the like. As far as i know it will only last till the end of the round (correct me if im wrong) and that would be unfair to the barbarian (who already is at the lowest in the foodchain in my opinion) and the elf.
Hmm, good point. Maybe I'll change this to direct damage spells?

What ive found comes out to give the game a little better balance, if you roll the dice for power and unexpected events seperatly. Gives you a chance of not getting in the objektive room, rolling an UE, have no power, and manage to have three times in a row doubles of sixes and ones on the monster table, for landing 3 battle-level-tables higher, than your group really is (It always happens to me).
Sure, it can also happen if you just split the dice, but then you have atleast some power :)
When I first read this, I thought "That doesn't matter because you still have the same chance to roll an UE." But this lowers the chance of an UE and power of 1 to happen at the same time. This DOES lower the difficulty of UE's, so I think I want to see how this works out in a game. :)

Looks fine apart from the gold. If you want it to be fair, you need to split as a percentage of wounds caused. Otherwise you still end up with an unfair distribution of reward vs labour.
Good point, but don't you think this adds too much math, slowing the flow of the game?

Daemonslave
13-01-2013, 10:56
But what about Wizards or Warrior Priests, etc, who are sacrificing doing damage to heal the fighting warriors, etc?

I think sharing the gold is the fairest way

yabbadabba
13-01-2013, 11:02
Good point, but don't you think this adds too much math, slowing the flow of the game? I do mate, I was just pointing out the logical inconsistency; a good player will still work out how to get maximum gold for minimum effort which is, in essence, the problem with the "who kills it, get's it" approach to WHQ. It is the only fair way of doing it, or you rely on mutual survival to create an atmosphere of competitive mutual support, or you create a just as unfair system.

Another approach is to pool all the gold. At the end of the mission, divide it by 2n+1 where n is the number of players. Everyone get's an equal share out of the 2n, then everyone votes in secret which player should get the last portion. The last portion get's divide among the players in proportion to the number of votes. A little more paperwork, but less than making it 100% fair.

jeroen84
13-01-2013, 11:08
But what about Wizards or Warrior Priests, etc, who are sacrificing doing damage to heal the fighting warriors, etc?

I think sharing the gold is the fairest way
I've always had the experience that the Wizard does a lot of damage.. You haven't?

@yabbadabba, I've also heard about the following system: Devide all gold evenly between the warriors. On top of that, the warriors get 10% of the gold of the monsters they killed themselves as a bonus.

The thing about the gold is; you need a system that is both competitive (adding fun) AND not kill the mutual support of playing together.. So there needs to be a good balance.. Hmmm...

Daemonslave
13-01-2013, 12:00
I've always had the experience that the Wizard does a lot of damage.. You haven't?

Yes, they certainly can do. But I was thinking more along the lines of the higher levels, when you get the one big beastie. All the other Warriors will engage it in HTH whilst the Wizard usually hangs back and spends most of his points on healing spells, damage enhancement spells, etc (because attack spells on large monsters require more magic). Is it then fair to say that because he only had enough magic left to inflict one or two wounds he should only get a small amount of the gold for killing this monster?

jeroen84
13-01-2013, 13:41
True.

Gold is split evenly between all Warriors that have participated in defeating the monster by either: buffing/healing a Warrior while he is fighting it, debuffing the monster or damaging the monster.

BigRob
15-01-2013, 14:06
Thank you all for your feedback!

This is the reason Pinning exists. (And why the Elf has an automatic pinning win.) Maybe I'll do what you suggest in some cases, but not roll a D3 and just go with the flow and position them as I like.

The Elf can only automatically escape pinning, he is still pinned and cannot fire a missile weapon at a monster in base to base contact. GW FAQ'd it in White Dwarf, reprinted in Deathblow :)

Which is why a good houserule is that all "pistol" weapons can be used while pinned and replace one of the elf skills with "May shoot while pinned" for some Legolas style action.

jeroen84
18-01-2013, 14:38
What do you guys think of the character balance between the following characters? (My new group of players..)

Khislevite Shaman
Dwarf
Troll Slayer
Witch Hunter
Wizard
Bretonnian Knight
Warrior Priest

For example.. The Knight feels really strong with S6, T5.. I've never had him in a party before so I don't know how it balances out. Any of you have experiences with this?

S_A_T_S
20-01-2013, 00:02
Not too bad. I find the shaman to be a bit... meh, but I have limited experience with him. The Warrior priest is ok, as long as you don't rely on him for healing. The knight might start off good, but when everyone else is getting magical armour and weapons, and the knight has to stick to his +1 armour and doesn't get any good upgrades for his sword, he'll be more inline with the others.

jeroen84
20-01-2013, 13:39
The Warrior priest is ok, as long as you don't rely on him for healing.
Thanks SATS. Do you think I should increase the healing effect of Power of Sigmar whenever the Wizard can't make it to the gaming session?

S_A_T_S
21-01-2013, 00:46
I personally wouldn't do that, I'd use it as a chance to get the players to be more cautious and to make the priest play a little differently, using heal blessings instead of buff blessings. It will make it harder, but also give you a change of play style to keep things interesting.