PDA

View Full Version : Deckbuilders

Poseidal
15-01-2013, 08:23
What are people's opinions on this type of game? I've played a few of them, here are some my thoughts:

Dominion: The daddy of all deckbuilders, the original but probably not the best; it was the first so there are bound to be some mistakes. There are a lot of 'stupid' cards (eg Chapel); it, along with the expansions means it'll take good effort to identify a selection of cards to play, and you'll need to pay for all the expansions. Uses Victory points that clog up your deck, which is an interesting mechanic.

Tanto-Cuore: Questionable theme aside, this is basically Dominion rethemed with a balance patch. There is a smaller card pool, so may not have a lot of the interesting stuff Dominion now has.

Puzzle Strike: This uses chips instead of cards, but is basically the same mechanic. This one is unique in that you have different starting 'characters', who have a different play-style each so there's some asymmetry that makes it different. Does not use Victory points, but is a 'last man standing' game. One thing is they update the game, so if you have an earlier edition some of the chips don't do what they say they do now.

Ascension: In this one, the pool of cards in the middle that players buy from is constantly changes whenever a card is bought (or defeated if it is a monster card). Victory points are not plain 'clog up' cards, but the cards you buy are worth a set amount and you generate VP tokens as well.

Thunderstone: This one is a sort of mix of a dungeon crawler along with deckbuilder. You 'buy' heroes, equipment and actions and you defeat monsters in the dungeon for victory points (going into your deck as usual).

Rune Age: This is sort of an army gathering game, where you buy cards from both your unique faction deck and the centre with different resources. There are cards that need to be 'conquered' and a running 'event deck' that has monsters appear with different victory conditions.

Eminent Domain: Including it here, though it isn't really the same sort of deckbuilder. This space-empire building game is sort of a hybrid between that and a 'role-choosing' game, as most of the cards are a large pool of generic action cards.

ColShaw
15-01-2013, 13:39
Race for the Galaxy is a kind of oddball one, in that you use the cards in your hand to "buy" one another, and then play them in front of you.

Then there's the Star Trek deckbuilder, which is interesting in that it can be played either competitively or cooperatively, which I like.

Overall, I love this type of game. My favorites are probably Ascension, Race for the Galaxy, and Dominion.

MasterDecoy
30-01-2013, 23:44
anyone played acrcana enough to give a good opinion (6+ times)?

ForgottenLore
17-02-2013, 23:13
Haven't found one I like better than Dominion, but haven't had a chance to play many.

There are a lot of 'stupid' cards (eg Chapel);

Chapel is a wonderful card. It will almost certainly be one of my first 2 buys in any game it is available.

Poseidal
18-02-2013, 11:31
That was my point, Chapel is so good it ruins the game.

Hengist
20-02-2013, 16:06
Martin Wallace's 'A Few Acres of Snow' would be my recommendation, albeit it's an historical setting rather than a fantasy/SF one, which may put some people off.

ColShaw
20-02-2013, 17:32
I just played Quarriors over the weekend, which is a dice-building game. Definitely influenced by deckbuilders, quirky and different. The dual-luck mechanic of what you draw and what you roll makes it even less strategic than some, but I found it entertaining.

MasterDecoy
03-03-2013, 20:36
got my brother to pick up arcana yesterday, I should get a chance to play it tonight, if I do Ill put up a review in my review thread.

EDIT: we only got to play one game with 3 players (not enough for a full review, at least for this game, especially seems after reading the rules after everyone had left, we where doing at least one thing wrong, dunno how much it will change the game now we know how to do it right, but will post that review after a few more games)

sigur
12-03-2013, 16:19
Played Thunderstone a few weeks ago for the first (and second and third :p ) time. It's good. :)

Poseidal
12-03-2013, 18:59
Thunderstone is a lot of fun. Ever played against the siege weapons monster deck? it makes the game sort of surreal actually.

ntw3001
06-04-2013, 12:08
I've only playyed Dominion and Puzzle Strike, but I prefer Puzzle Strike by far. The victory condition of Dominion is kind of interesting, but it's fairly anticlimactic to have the end goal to buy a bunch of cards that don't do anything. Puzzle Strike's gem-piles mechanic ensures that the action builds up towards the end, rather than dies down. It also allows the game to be a lot more directly interactive, whereas interaction in Dominion is generally subtle and only occasionally direct. And I play Puzzle Strike a lot more because it can be played online for free :)

Coyote81
10-05-2013, 09:40
Have any of you tried some of these (they're pretty new): Marvel legendary, DC Comic DeckBuilder (by cryptozoic), Lord of The Rings DeckBuilder (also Cryptozoic). All 3 of these games have become fan favorites on my tuesday game night. DC has been played the most, Lord of The ring just came out, and I think it tops DC easily. i think marvel legenardy has the most replay value, but the setup and take down times between games is a little too long sometimes. It's also a little more coopertive, whereas the first two are completely competitive, much like Ascension.

MasterDecoy
17-05-2013, 04:56
Played the Marvel one after a guy at my LGS bought it, cant say I was a fan, it wasnt bad so to speak, but It defintly didnt feel thematic in any way. It just felt like dominion with a semi co-operative victory condition.