PDA

View Full Version : A Firefly board game? Shiny!

Hengist
22-02-2013, 12:27
Battlefront subsidiary Gale Force Nine (known primarily for making flock and tools) have announced a forthcoming Firefly board game. Good news of itself, of course, but the better news is the promise of a miniatures game to follow!

Given the wonderful response we have been getting this week from our Firefly announcement I wanted to take the opportunity to answer a couple of the questions that have been raised. Firstly let me say that the project is absolutely going to be looking for feedback from a wider audience as we get into the meat of the game design and we plan to explain this plan and how it will work in a few weeks time so we appreciate the offers of help and stay tuned as we definitely want to make sure Firefly lives up to the highest of expectations. The second issue is regarding the license itself. Our agreement with Fox is exclusive to us and has nothing to do with the Toy Vault license in any way. We are going to be making “board games, tabletop miniature games and card games” over the next three years and our first project on the schedule is the Firefly board game you can see shown in the images below. We will keep you informed as more new images start to come out of the GF9 studio and we share your excitement about just how shiny all things Firefly will be.

Sketchy details and shoddy mock-ups at: http://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=227&art_id=3748

shelfunit.
02-03-2013, 18:08
That does look interesting - I didn't realise GF9 had branched out into boardgames - really hoping this is good as 1) it's always nice to see a company make a success of a new thing and 2) I'll be getting it and want a good game to play.

Liefather
03-03-2013, 11:28
Great news indeed!

Firefly is a amazing universe and i hope that the game will be good. (RPG was interesting)

Hengist
04-03-2013, 01:20
I hadn't realised myself that GF9 had entered the games market, but their first effort 'Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery' apparently went down rather well with the BGG crowd (though I haven't played it), so I've high hopes their take on Firefly will be of similar quality. The (admittedly sketchy) game brief makes me think the final product might turn out to be something akin to Merchants and Marauders (a game I have played, and would heartily recommend).

But obviously what we're all really waiting for is a 28mm Firefly crew, and some Reavers and Purplebellies to fight...

shelfunit.
04-03-2013, 11:52
But obviously what we're all really waiting for is a 28mm Firefly crew, and some Reavers and Purplebellies to fight...

You needed to get in on the Sedition Wars kickstarter then - their "Calamity" crew minis were very... "not" FF inspired.

MasterDecoy
04-03-2013, 12:21
I have played the sparticas game, and it, Like all games needs a specific type of group (not gullible, or stupid players), with the understanding that you need to remember the meta game.

For example, in our last game, slaves rocketed up to a peak of 20 to 21 gold each, when they normally sell for 3 or 4 max, due to one player buying all of them early game.

It however, defiantly needs the expansion (to play up to 6 players, not yet released to the best of my understanding) for any kind of longevity, but as far as political games go, its one of the better ones I've played, the gladiator fights really feel tacked on though, and although there are a few simple tactics, they are shallow and obvious, there is always a best move, and the whole thing could have been handled a lot better with less clutter.

Hengist
05-03-2013, 23:12
Oh, I didn't miss McVey's Calamity crew, but I'd still be delighted by an official Firefly range (and the rest of the crew). Having looked at GF9's 'D&D Collectors' range, I'm cautiously optimistic that they might do a decent job of it, too...