PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments: Cool Ways of Providing Opponents Your Lists

NecronBob
27-02-2013, 15:35
I'm going to large open list tournament in a couple of months where players are expected to exchange lists before each game. My army is heavily themed, so I have been thinking about providing a little fluff along with my lists and jazzing it up with a little graphic design.

My initial thoughts are to put a little three sentence fluff blurb about the theme of the army at the top and then a line about each units' fluff. I'd slap a close up picture of each unit next to the entry (to look cool and to be clear about which unit is which) and include a line of stats and a line of pertinent magic items. I'd fold it into a little book, slap a cover on it (with my army's name and my name) and hand it over.

Before I sink any work into it, I was just curious as to how some of you other tournament players would react. Would you be unhappy that I've cluttered this list? Would you enjoy seeing something different. I'm also curious if anyone has seen anyone do anything cool or interesting with their lists.

loveless
27-02-2013, 15:56
1) I'd appreciate that, but I'm typically considered "insane" about background and flavor in personal armies.
2) I'd definitely include a standard summary at the end or even at the beginning for those that just want to see the meat of the army.
3) If I got to keep your little booklet (and it was well done), I'd give you tons of Creative points if the tournament takes those scores into consideration.

Gorbad Ironclaw
27-02-2013, 16:04
If its something you would enjoy doing then it would be worth doing. However, I'd also provide a "clean" lists with just the game information on it. Or alternatively seperate the two things, have a list of game stuff and then fluff and pictures etc. At least that would be my preference receiving it. I might at some point letter in a break have a look at your fluff but I'm not really that bothered and would rather just have the game information. Of course I tend to also not be that bothered about checking my opponents army list so I would likely just glance at it and put the whole thing away.

I think I remember seeing someone doing something like that. An army list on one sheet of paper and fluff and a picture or two on a second sheet. Again, if you would have fun doing it then I think you should, as long as you will be okay with not everybody caring about the fluff for your private army.

NecronBob
27-02-2013, 16:08
Indeed, Gorbad it would be more of an interesting time filler for me. I certainly wouldn't want to give folks more than a sentence or two of fluff because most people could care less.

Loveless, I appreciate the advice. Perhaps if I do it, I'll put a clean list on one side of the booklet and the pictures and such on the other side.

Blinder
27-02-2013, 17:41
If you're going to do the "two-sided" version (which does sound like a good idea), make sure the right side has the game details. Alternately depending on the actual length of the list, how fancy you want to get, and likely your ability to print larger than letter/legal pages, you could do a "foldout menu" type of arrangement, so when someone opened the booklet they had all the basic details available, and then folding the flaps out would give you the background. I like the pictures idea for both parts, though, if they're done simply enough they could provide a quick way for you and your opponents to jump to the correct entry.

Definitely the sort of thing that would have the best impact if people got to keep them... assuming it doesn't end up costing a ton a few extras might come in handy in case people you don't end up playing like the idea.

Gromdal
27-02-2013, 18:49
I would find it amazing.

Lord Inquisitor
27-02-2013, 19:00
I'm going to large open list tournament in a couple of months where players are expected to exchange lists before each game. My army is heavily themed, so I have been thinking about providing a little fluff along with my lists and jazzing it up with a little graphic design.
My initial thoughts are to put a little three sentence fluff blurb about the theme of the army at the top and then a line about each units' fluff. I'd slap a close up picture of each unit next to the entry (to look cool and to be clear about which unit is which) and include a line of stats and a line of pertinent magic items. I'd fold it into a little book, slap a cover on it (with my army's name and my name) and hand it over.

Before I sink any work into it, I was just curious as to how some of you other tournament players would react. Would you be unhappy that I've cluttered this list? Would you enjoy seeing something different. I'm also curious if anyone has seen anyone do anything cool or interesting with their lists.

Overall, it'd be pretty cool. However, what I really want to see in an army list is a list of the units you have and upgrades they have! I can't stand it when someone hands me an Army Builder full list with every stat and special rule everything has. It's hard to actually see what everything is and what they've got in all that.

A simple list with the units is much preferable for me. Then you can make it look sexy and pictures of the units (especially if they're converted or non-standard!) is a great idea and some fluff that I can look at later is cool too if it doesn't get too much in the way of the list. I'm not going to read your fluff during deployment!

Juicy21
27-02-2013, 19:08
Yeah would be awsome to read!

Don Zeko
27-02-2013, 19:43
Overall, it'd be pretty cool. However, what I really want to see in an army list is a list of the units you have and upgrades they have! I can't stand it when someone hands me an Army Builder full list with every stat and special rule everything has. It's hard to actually see what everything is and what they've got in all that.

A simple list with the units is much preferable for me. Then you can make it look sexy and pictures of the units (especially if they're converted or non-standard!) is a great idea and some fluff that I can look at later is cool too if it doesn't get too much in the way of the list. I'm not going to read your fluff during deployment!

You can't please everybody I suppose. I much prefer an Army Builder list, since I like to know the stats on what I'm fighting and checking the list is a lot easier than asking the other guy or finding an appropriate army book.

Lord Inquisitor
27-02-2013, 19:52
You can't please everybody I suppose. I much prefer an Army Builder list, since I like to know the stats on what I'm fighting and checking the list is a lot easier than asking the other guy or finding an appropriate army book.

You mean you don't have every stat for every model memorised? :angel:

You make a point, but that's more in-game reference than being able to go over a list beforehand. I don't find I have to check stuff like that very often and given the choice I'd rather have a clear list than a reference.

Of course, it doesn't need to be an either/or situation, you can provide a simple summary page 1 and detailed info behind it. I've seen players do that and it's the best of both worlds ... if you don't mind the print/paper expenditure!

theunwantedbeing
27-02-2013, 20:37
That'll certainly score you heaps of brownie points, it's up there with turning up with actual brownies.

NecronBob
27-02-2013, 21:01
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm going to go ahead and give this a shot, and your input has helped me figure out what I want to try:

1) Cover with image, army name, and my name
2) First inside page containing unit images and brief fluff description.
3) Second inside page containing a list of all units, all unit point costs, and all unit upgrades.
4) A back cover reference page with full stats for each unit

Anything else?