PDA

View Full Version : Team army building.

de Selby
09-06-2005, 17:48
I was thinking yesterday about what a personal thing an army is. I always try and make something unique about whatever new force I decide to collect, whether it be paint-scheme, conversions or just unusual force selection.

I then realized that I couldn't think of any examples of two or more people building a single army together (either to share, because they couldn't afford or be bothered to collect one each, or for any other reason).

Have you ever participated in a joint army-build project? Did you share the army at the end (with a family member or friend, perhaps), or was it a case of one or more people helping someone to build their own force. I'm not talking about offering tips or advice, but actually sitting down and assembling and painting units together, sharing the work.

I'd be interested to hear any stories,and how it turned out.

Captain Brown
09-06-2005, 18:03
My group did this for several years, mostly in WFB, but a few 40K armies that no one else collected but we wanted to paint up a few units.

Lasted about two years and was not as successful as we would have liked. One player moved away (taking his parts with him) and the rest of us sort of traded units until we had complete armies. (How I became and Ork player in 40K and WFB) In the end it basically increased our personal armies by 1 or 2 when all was said and done.

It does make for interesting games and we had some great ones, as the forces allowed multiple players to play in a game without one side fielding tons of elites and specialized forces (which seems to happen in normal allied games).

You really have to sit down and agree on what units each person will collect (otherwise everyone wants the same one because it is the coolest). We generally said if you wanted to do an elite, fast attack, heavy support or Hq you had to complete a troop choice first (and it had to be at least twice the minimum size so no 5 man Guardian Squads, etc.).

It makes for some fun painting nights, especially if you agree to do a shared army month or something. The other really important thing is that you agree on a paint scheme together. Otherwise you will have a Flying Circus (while this looks good on WWI bi and tri planes it does not make for a pleasing display in 40k).

My two cents.

susu.exp
09-06-2005, 19:00
Have you ever participated in a joint army-build project? Did you share the army at the end (with a family member or friend, perhaps), or was it a case of one or more people helping someone to build their own force. I'm not talking about offering tips or advice, but actually sitting down and assembling and painting units together, sharing the work.

I'd be interested to hear any stories,and how it turned out.

I did that. When I started to play 40k the rest of my regular group did so as well, with one exception. After a month or so he jumped on the bandwagon, but he didnīt want to collect an army that hadnīt been taken (this was group policy at the time, we were few and wanted as many different armies as possible). He wanted to collect CSM with a nurgle Theme (this was before the 2nd Ed. Codex was around), which I had started (4 Marines done at the time). We finally settled on building one big army and split the Gods evenly among us. I had Slaanesh and Tseentch, he ended up with Nurgle and Khorne. All in all we ended up with about 20k of CSM and when we split up (moving out to our respective university towns) we both had ~10k forces.
The huge army was great fun and we had a lot of multiplayer battles at the time, with our army facing every loyalist force in the group (Marines, Guard and Eldar).
The army building process was sped up by some sort of competition between us to have the bigger fraction.

Chris
09-06-2005, 21:18
They have a 4 player team tournement at adepticon.org. I went with 3 of my buddies and we just brought the armies we had collected and painted, but most people had a universal theme for the 4 forces involving allies and paint schemes and stuff. We are currently having an argument about what unifed theme we should use for next year... Right now I think the theme is just "Imperial"

de Selby
10-06-2005, 14:43
Thanks for all replies.

We generally said if you wanted to do an elite, fast attack, heavy support or Hq you had to complete a troop choice first (and it had to be at least twice the minimum size so no 5 man Guardian Squads, etc.).

It makes for some fun painting nights, especially if you agree to do a shared army month or something. The other really important thing is that you agree on a paint scheme together. Otherwise you will have a Flying Circus (while this looks good on WWI bi and tri planes it does not make for a pleasing display in 40k).

Could work ok for Swordwind armies, I suppose. Or undivided Chaos, as susu.exp said. But otherwise, yeah, tight colour scheme control would be essential.

Does it make a difference to the way you play, I wonder. Without such intense personal identification with one of the armies on the table, are players less inclined to work out cheesy lists and finagle the rules? Could be the way forward.