PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Question - Multi-wound Weps vs Models with R&F

Warrior of Chaos
14-03-2013, 16:41
Hey guys,

Myself and a friend are having a friendly debate regarding multi-wound weapons inflicting mulitple wounds on rank-n-file models with more than one wound (i.e. Ogres).

I interpret the BRB to mean that once you have established how many unsaved wounds are inflicted against the rank and file models you roll your multi-wounds to for each unsaved wound and remove the total inflicted from the unit, carrying over any remainder to the unit.

*EXAMPLE: A unit of Ogre Ironguts takes 3 unsaved wounds from a model with a weapon that has multiple wounds (d3). Those three unsaved wounds are rolled resulting in say 2, 3, and 2. This means that there are a total of 7 wounds to allocate into the Ironguts. This would mean two Ogre models are removed and one Ogre gets 1 wound removed. Is this the correct interpretation of the BRB rules?

Mr_Rose
14-03-2013, 16:57
Almost. You just have to remember that Units lose wounds, not models (characters and single-model units are the exceptions, not the rule) so there is no "ogre with one wound removed"; instead there is a unit of ironguts with one wound marked, that will lose another model and reset to zero marked wounds should it take another two wounds.

Also, remember that the max. wounds each hit can inflict is capped by the W value of the models in the unit.

hamsterwheel
14-03-2013, 16:57
Hey guys,

Myself and a friend are having a friendly debate regarding multi-wound weapons inflicting mulitple wounds on rank-n-file models with more than one wound (i.e. Ogres).

I interpret the BRB to mean that once you have established how many unsaved wounds are inflicted against the rank and file models you roll your multi-wounds to for each unsaved wound and remove the total inflicted from the unit, carrying over any remainder to the unit.

*EXAMPLE: A unit of Ogre Ironguts takes 3 unsaved wounds from a model with a weapon that has multiple wounds (d3). Those three unsaved wounds are rolled resulting in say 2, 3, and 2. This means that there are a total of 7 wounds to allocate into the Ironguts. This would mean two Ogre models are removed and one Ogre gets 1 wound removed. Is this the correct interpretation of the BRB rules?

Yes, this is correct. Keep in mind that Multiple Wound(D6) works the same way but the multiple wounds lost per Would roll would be capped at 3 because a model cannot lose more wounds than what is on their profile. So a roll of 6, 5, 2 would translate into losing 8 wounds or 6(3), 5(3), 2.

Edit: Listen to Mr_Rose, he's spot on.

Warrior of Chaos
14-03-2013, 17:00
Thanks kindly hamsterwheel and rose.

bigbiggles
16-03-2013, 23:50
How would you resolve a heroic killing blow on a unit with 1 wound marker? I would say that it does the full wounds of one model (3 for ogres) but my opponent said it would only do 2 wounds since it hits the wounded one. The rulebook says that the model is removed as a casuality , but with no mention of wounds. Has there been errata or FAQ to clarify this?

theunwantedbeing
17-03-2013, 00:10
How would you resolve a heroic killing blow on a unit with 1 wound marker? I would say that it does the full wounds of one model (3 for ogres) but my opponent said it would only do 2 wounds since it hits the wounded one. The rulebook says that the model is removed as a casuality , but with no mention of wounds. Has there been errata or FAQ to clarify this?

The only way you could remove a wounded model from a unit is if that wounded model was either the final model in the unit, or the unit champion and the attacker had specifically chosen to attack the unit champion.

You always remove a whole model where possible.
It details this in the multiple wounds vs multiple wounds model rules.

Mr_Rose
17-03-2013, 00:12
Since there is no "wounded one" either a KB removes a model, bypassing the W value and/or marked wounds completely, or it does wounds equal to the W value of the model hit to the unit. Either way you end up with one leftover wound still on the unit.

Brother Haephestus
24-03-2013, 18:30
Hey guys,

You're only half-right in both the rule and the example. The d3 example works fine, because that's what ogres have as a W. I'm saying that excess wounds above the W characteristic are lost, and you said they carry over.

Using the exact same scenario, except the weapon is d6, with a result of 5, 5 and 6. You still only get 3 casualties, as the excess 2, 2, and 3 are wasted. These do not carry over to the unit, and I would refer you to the poor elf at the end of the Hits Inflicting Multiple Wounds paragraph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SilasOfTheLambs
24-03-2013, 19:06
How does this work with multi-wound champions that are in a challenge? If my mournfang champ is tanking it up vs some warrior priest or something, and the greatswords do three excess wounds after killing all the rank and file of the unit, does the champion just evaporate out of the challenge?

Mr_Rose
24-03-2013, 19:16
How does this work with multi-wound champions that are in a challenge? If my mournfang champ is tanking it up vs some warrior priest or something, and the greatswords do three excess wounds after killing all the rank and file of the unit, does the champion just evaporate out of the challenge?

Basically, yes.
Champions are in the weird position of being members of a unit whilst also being able to be picked out in close combat, which means they must both have their wounds tracked separately and be subject to spillover from the unit.

P.S. Before someone objects on the basis of not being able to attack models in a challenge; spillover wounds come from attacking the unit, not the champion specifically.

Warrior of Chaos
24-03-2013, 21:04
... I'm saying that excess wounds above the W characteristic are lost, and you said they carry over...
That was NOT what I was saying, but rather what you were choosing to hear :eyebrows:.

I was only ever using a weapon with multi-wounds d3 (specifically the one carried by Ghorros Warhoof in the Beastmen army list) as an example and stating that the wounds carry over...and in the example I gave, I was correct as a pertained to our previous conversation. The way you had explained it, it sounded like only one model could be killed by the three attacks because the W characteristic of an ogre is 3. Meaning if I rolled three hits, multi-wound weapon d3, those unsaved wounds become 2,3, and 3....but I only get to inflict 3 total because of the ogre wound characteristic. I argued that in this case, all of the wounds go into the ogre unit because none exceed the W characteristic of 3. That is what our discussion was about and how I interpreted what you were saying. I'm not sure how you came to think I was talking about a multi-wound d6 weapon, when the conversation that started all of this was about Centigors and their special character?:p

Now it could be we just were not understanding each other and it would not surprise me because it has happened before ;), but in the case of a multi-wound d6 weapon I already knew they wouldn't carry over if I rolled above 3 on the multiple unsaved wounds; since the ogre W characteristic is 3. Hamster basically confirmed what I thought on this with his post. We never got to that part of the discussion where we were talking about multiple wound d6 attacks; though Raf and I talked about it.